Author Topic: e-Commerce, anyone?  (Read 810 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
e-Commerce, anyone?
« on: August 13, 2017, 02:07:47 PM »
It's me again, and I need help ... again. Computer-related, naturally.

For a few years before she died, my wife had been working toward creating an Internet business selling jewelry and craft items from her native country. She had already bought a lot of items, and she paid a guy (from her country) to create a web site for her -- but he never finished the job, and as far as I can tell there's no copy of the digital files on this end. I remember seeing a mockup of the site when she was alive (without any way to accept payments, which is the part he didn't finish), but now I'm guessing that the mockup version must have been on his server. And I only know his first name, so I have no way to contact him.

I talked to a pawn shop about just buying the stuff. I think the owner was honest with me -- he said the stuff is beautiful, but not the kind of thing people buy from pawn shops. His advice was to sell it on the Internet. So I'm right back where we were before my wife died -- I need an e-commerce site, and I don't know patooties about programming or web site development. So I'm looking for freeware e-commerce software. There are a lot of them out there. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which one or ones would be best for a computer idiot to try?

This is not for a long-term business. I have no way to re-supply inventory. I would have this site up only for as long as it takes to sell a major portion of the inventory my wife had already accumulated.

Is anyone familiar with any of the solutions in this list? http://www.webappers.com/2010/07/09/15-best-free-open-source-ecommerce-platforms/

Thanks
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: e-Commerce, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 02:13:10 PM »
ebay or etsy?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 02:21:39 PM »
ebay or etsy?

That's what I was thinking, especially since you don't actually want to go into business and are just getting rid of the stock you already have.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 03:01:42 PM »
When my wife was getting rid of a bunch of stuff she inherited from her grandmother (china, silver, figurines, etc.) and Longaberger baskets, she did it via eBay.  No muss, no fuss and she got rid of everything.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 04:22:22 PM »
That just might be the way to go.

Thanks.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 05:34:21 PM »
The problem you are going to have with setting up your own shop is not the software. There are plenty of low cost options for turn-key shopping carts with all the technical details worked out.

The issue is getting traffic to the site. That takes time and money, and if you don't plan to do it long term then that is a lot of work for a little gain.

I vote eBay, etsy or similar.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 05:46:14 PM »
I'm going to hop on the wagon and say get thee to eBay, Etsy, or both.

Another option might be to look around to see if there are any local shops that do sell that sort of thing and if they'd be willing to take it off your hands either up front or on consignment. You could also do the same online, either a website or an Etsy shop that sells similar items to what you are trying to offload.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 07:53:03 PM »
Etsy is the place to be for artsy stuff.

If you are on Pinterest, you can link to the Etsy site and maybe increase your traffic.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 08:50:01 PM »
Only problem with evilbay and the like will be that Paypal will almost be a necessity.
But for the best ROI they will likely be the best option.
And, posting up pics here might net some sales as those of us that are not actual wearers of feminine jewelry and associated frippery do have such in out immediate family.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 09:17:23 PM »
As someone who has built and managed an E-Store I can testify that it's a PITA and traffic is an issue. Ours was SO not worth it!

eBay, Etsy, profit?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!