Author Topic: How many here have sleep apnea?Anyone sleep w/a compressor?  (Read 22504 times)

onions!

How many here have sleep apnea?Anyone sleep w/a compressor?
« on: August 04, 2005, 07:45:25 PM »
For several months my sleep quality has gone down hill.I've tossed & turned the night through ,ending up w/the bed sheets in a twisted wad every day.I've fallen asleep @ work &,most disturbingly,I've fallen asleep while driving-short,twenty minute commutes even.I've known forever that I snore but I never thought that It would be a symptom of poor sleep.
It turns out that a combination of my snoring,increased age,& a wee bit of weight gain has changed my life for the worst.

I finally had a sleep study done last sunday.Turns out I'm "waking up" about 30 times/hour.Sometime around 4 A.M.I was fitted w/a mask & hooked up to a compressor.After taking an hour or so to get used to it I slept,finally.When the tech came to get me up & kick me out(morning)he told me that in the last two hours I hadn't woken up once!!!Wow!Now I have to wait for the DR.to call me to evaluate what exactly happened.& while I'm not looking forward to sleeping attatched to a 1970s womens hair drier/curler machine(that's what it looks like.a small box w/a a long hose attatched to a small mask)I will if it helps my sleep & can improve the rest of what ails me.

Anyone else?

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 07:51:24 PM »
I'm getting a bad nights sleep lately... but I've been having vivid lucid dreams almost every night... wierd.

atek3

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 12:40:40 AM »
I have the exact same problem and I haven't been to my sleep study yet.  You feel like you are suffocating sometimes and wake up?  This issue combined with high BP meds (diuretic) making me pee all night and you can guess what sort of nights I have.  Anyway, a family friend just started using one of these apparatuses (apparati?) and she has started sleeping.  Guess it's time to finally go in for my eval...

Greg

JAlexander

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 04:35:19 AM »
Yeah, I have one.  I got a sleep study done last December at the urging of my wife and best friend, and the doctor told me I could either have a CPAP machine or risk dying 'way too young.  So I got the machine.  I was very skeptical about it initially, but I'm now a total convert.  The difference between my sleep before and after the machine is amazing.  I no longer fall asleep during the day, I no longer have to fight dozing off during driving, I have more energy, I'm losing weight, et cetera.  I could go on, but you get the idea.
If your doctor says you'd benefit from a CPAP machine, get it.  I can't convey to you how much it'll improve your life.

James

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 08:17:13 AM »
My experience hasn't been as positive as JAlexander's. I haven't used the CPAP in a while because I struggled with it for several months, and never really got used to the mask. I am going to see the doctor and try using it again. Most insurance will let you rent the machine on a trial basis. I would still encourage you to try it.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 04:08:19 AM »
I mostly sleep on my stomach but my position varies greatly with sleeping on my back being the least of them.  Is wearing this mask going to prevent me from sleeping on my stomach?  How about my sides?  No way in hell I am going to be able to sleep all night on my back--hurts way too much.

Greg

mike

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2005, 07:28:06 AM »
My wife has it but was able to have it corrected with surgery, so she doesn't need the machine anymore. I'm glad as that darn machine was keeping ME up at night!

JAlexander

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2005, 10:13:01 AM »
Quote from: SADShooter
My experience hasn't been as positive as JAlexander's. I haven't used the CPAP in a while because I struggled with it for several months, and never really got used to the mask. I am going to see the doctor and try using it again. Most insurance will let you rent the machine on a trial basis. I would still encourage you to try it.
I have to admit that the first couple of months were a bit rough.  I usually woke up to find that I had pulled the mask off during the night.  That said, I eventually got used to it.  My main problem is with my throat getting dry when the humidifier runs out of water while I'm asleep.

Quote from: TarpleyG
I mostly sleep on my stomach but my position varies greatly with sleeping on my back being the least of them.  Is wearing this mask going to prevent me from sleeping on my stomach?  How about my sides?  No way in hell I am going to be able to sleep all night on my back--hurts way too much.

Greg
It's definitely easiest to sleep on your back, but I have good luck sleeping on my side.  Sleeping on your stomach while wearing the mask would be a good trick, although I bet it could be done.
As I said, though, give it a try.  It can't hurt, and it might help a lot.

James

toro

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2005, 10:57:37 AM »
My son has sleep apnea.  He snored so loud his wife was unable to sleep.  He drove her nuts.  He started falling asleep during the day and was afraid he was going to fall asleep while driving.  He went to a sleep center and they said he was getting only half the oxygen he needed during the night time hours.  He actually stopped breathing at times and the doctor told him if he didn't get a mask that it would shorten his life span.  He got the mask and there was a world of difference in him.  He never falls asleep during the daytime and never worries about driving.  His wife loves the machine and says it actually puts her to sleep.  She has dropped 50 pounds and he lost 30 pounds.  It really changed his life for the better.  He has had his mask for about five years now.

Mrs. Toro

===========================================
Romans 13:11
And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.

onions!

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2005, 02:32:30 PM »
There are two people I know that have had very different expieriences w/the mask.The first is my step-dad.He's 56,6'2",& about 300ish.When he had his sleep study he was told that his sleep was being disturbed,on average,twice/minute!He started w/the mask shortly thereafter.After a very short acclimation period he started sleeping like a baby.He's lost weight,& his color has improved.He says that he has more energy than he's had in years.

The other person is a friend that I work next to all day,every day.Bruce is 48,6'3",& 195lbs.He's had four (four!!) surgeries on his throat to increase his airflow.All failures.He's had the compressor for about three years now.He says that he can only wear it for a few hours & then it comes off.

I'm glad to see that there are others here who not only have the same problem,but have benefited from taking the test & using the CPAP machine.

I hope that I end up being able to benefit from it.I sleep mainly on my side so I don't expect any problems there.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2005, 04:08:03 PM »
One common theme I am seeing is that most everyone here with experience or knowledge has said that they or someone they know lost weight.  I know that being overweight can cause breathing problems because when I was skinny, I didn't have these sleeping issues.  Thing is, why does this make people lose weight?  Higher metabolism maybe?

Greg

onions!

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2005, 05:00:56 PM »
TarpletG?My doctor explained it this way.He said that my body wanted to fall to sleep during the day but I needed to stay awake.So,I ate.I gobbled up calories to try to stay awake.More tired=more food.So,he said that if I started to get a decent nights sleep I wouldn't need the extra food during the day just to stay awake.Break the chain &,all else being equal,I should lose weight.(diet & exercise'll help too-not falling asleep on the way to the bicycle will be kinda nice.)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2005, 09:07:38 AM »
Welcome to the world of the hoseheads!

Like my second sleep doctor (a pulmonologist) told me, feeling more rested and having more energy are just pleasant side effects of being on CPAP.

Your case sounds pretty similar to mine in that I "woke up" 30 to 35 times an hour. In reality, the "waking up" is when you stop breathing. My O2 levels were going down into the low 60% range (if your level is below 88% all the time you need to go on supplemental oxygen).

Each time you "wake up" (also referred to as an "arousal, a medical term, don't get hinky) your brain goes into survival mode. It elevates your blood pressure, blood sugar level, heart rate, adrenaline levels. In other words, you go into "fight or flight" mode. Fight or flight is good and can save your life but, it's not good for you when it's happening 30 times per hour, and can lead to permanently elevated levels of each.

I have a ResMed AutoSpirit APAP (with heated humidifier), with a Respironics Comfort Gel mask and it has worked well for me so far.

When you get a DME (Durable Medical Equipment) provider, don't just let them give you what they want. Make sure you get what you want. Do not compromise (especially with mask selection). Make sure you can exchange the mask for a different type or brand (within a reasonable amount of time). It is your interface with the machine and may be the determining factor in regards to your compliance rate. I'm 100% compliant with the equipment I have and never even take a nap (which I don't need nearly as often as before) without my leaf blower, LOL.

Did I mention do not compromise? It's your health at stake, and you are in charge.

Here are a couple links to some good CPAP (hosehead) forums. You'll find alot of good information and support there. Good luck with it.

http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewforum.php?f=1

http://www.sleepnet.com/apnea/apneainf.html
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Lt. G

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2005, 04:03:18 PM »
I have been on a c-pap, bipap for over 9 years now. After my sleep study, I fell asleep easy for the first 2 weeks, slept like a baby. Woke up totally refreshed.

Then I battled the one arm octapus  for over 5 years, tossing, turning, struggling with the cpap. Then one night I went back to being able to tolerate the machine.

I recently went back for a second sleep study, now I am on a bipap with heated humidified air and they wanted to put me in a full face mask, no way!!!! I have what the call a comfort mask, I have lost 21 pounds, am walking/eating right. I am turning my life around. Get  to the sleep study ASAP!!
                                             Lt. G

Greg L

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2005, 07:16:59 PM »
I've slept with a couple of guys before & after they've had the machine (oh shut up, one was a business associate that I had to share a room with while traveling, the other was another father in Scouts that I've shared a tent with).  The before was miserable for me as many times in the night I would wake up wondering "OMG, have they died?"  They wouldn't sleep well (without knowing it) & neither would I.  After they got their machines they were much nicer to be around the following day & acted much healthier.  From what I can tell it has worked wonders for both of them.

Although I do have to admit that it is funny seeing the Scout guy show up for a backpacking trip with an additional bag & car battery to haul along with him Cheesy .  However to be fair the other adults have helped him haul along the battery as it improves OUR sleep as well Smiley .

One of Many

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2005, 05:39:45 AM »
I have been using a CPAP for several years.  I too was falling asleep while driving and at work, until I finally submitted to my wife's request to get tested for Sleep Apnea.  I has made a huge difference in my ability to function, and I would probably have died already if I had not gone on the CPAP.  I was waking more than once per minute when I was tested, and my blood oxygen level was very low.  This caused me to be drowsy all of the time, and I can not recall how many close calls I had while driving.

I do not use a Mask on my CPAP.  I have instead a fitting that forces air into each nostril, and leaves the mouth and face uncovered.  I had to learn to keep my mouth closed while sleeping, which was done by wearing a strap to apply a light force against my chin, toward the back of my head.  After a few months time, I was able to eliminate the chin strap.  I still must wear a harness to keep the hose in place, and I sometimes get tangled up when I toss and turn (for other reasons that lack of oxygen), but it is much better to have the CPAP than be dead.  I have GAINED weight (didn't lose a pould) since I went on the CPAP - it depends on your lifestyle.

You may have difficulty sleeping on your stomach, if the mask exhausts out the front (you can't block the outflow), but that may depend on the mask you get.

It is definitely a life saving device, but it will require getting used to, both by you and your partner (there is some noise generated by the pump motor and due to the air flowing through the hose and exhaust outlet).

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2005, 09:32:31 AM »
I was having sleeping trouble, but it was directly linked to the extra weight I was hauling around. After losing 35 lbs I sleep much better. No more waking up multiple times during the night, and no waking up in the morning with a sore throat from heavy snoring.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

onions!

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2005, 03:46:29 AM »
Well,I picked up my CPAP machine yesterday afternoon.As I'd been dog tired all day & in fact had caught myself nodding off while waiting for the hwy traffic to move I expected to have an easy time falling asleep anyway.

What a suprise!I was not only able to fall asleep within moments of putting the mask on(I'd had a BIG problem w/the mask during my sleep study),but when I woke up this morning I hadn't even moved during the night!No twisted,wadded up sheets!No swapping end for end on the bed!I almost feel like I want to cry.It's been almost a year since I've had a nights sleep like that.

However dorky I thought it would be at first I'm a believer now.If you can't sleep then definately-see your doctor.Once you start talking about it it will probably suprise you just how many people you know that have a problem & use a CPAP type machine to sleep.Heck,I've even found another guy where I work that uses one.That's THREE guys out of forty odd male employees!

The only negative came from my dogs.My oldest just gave me a "what's he up to now look?" & went to sleep.Of the twins,one wouldn't come close to me when the mask was on,& his sister just started sitting there barking @ me & finally had to spend a few minute or two sniffing the whole apparatus out.Satisfied,she went to sleep.Smiley

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2005, 02:00:07 PM »
Good for you!  I am waiting on a referral for a sleep study right now.  Went to see the doc about it last week.  Hopefully will hear something this week about it.

Greg

onions!

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2005, 04:29:32 PM »
Tarpley?I hope it turns out well.You need a good turn now,yes?:)Post your results?

Myself

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2005, 08:51:34 PM »
I was just informed this week by my Dr. that I should have a sleep study done.  This is interesting reading.  I guess we will see what happens.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2005, 09:01:31 AM »
How involved is a sleep study? I might try one.
A sleep study will require you to sleep overnight at the sleep center for one or two nights.
Some do a split study, where they test you for half the night, then hook you up to a CPAP (Constant Positive Airway Pressure) machine for the remainder of the night (to determine what pressure you require). Sometimes it will be done on two separate nights.

It's pretty expensive (mine was $3,200), so insurance is handy.

Here's a link to a sleep test (not definitive, but will give you a good idea if you need to be tested).

http://www.sleepnet.com/sleeptest.html

Here are links to a couple sleep apnea forums. They are very informative and well worth reading before you get put on a machine.

http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewforum.php?f=1

http://www.sleepnet.com/apnea/apneainf.html
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2005, 10:09:07 AM »
I have to get up and pee like 3 or 4 times a night.  Am I going to be able to successfully complete a sleep study if I have to get up and 'go'?

Greg

onions!

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2005, 10:50:56 AM »
Tarpleyg?You shouldn't have a problem.I asked the same question.I was told that all I had to do was to speak out & ask for help.That they would come & un-plug me.I did & they did.

One thing that really impressed me about the "sleep disorder" clinic was the money involved.The exam rooms were normal doctors office size,say,6x8 feet.The sleep study rooms,however,were huge!Each room was  twelve feet square,had a double bed,a LAY-Z-BOY type chair,& a big idiot box.The place reminded me of a decent hotel room.Given the $$$ placed on space in any medical building I've ever been in I can only speculate that this profession is making huge money.On top of that,I had to wait almost two months to get in & see the DR.let alone get the study done.That tells me that they are real busy.

Imagine a nation of hoseheads.Come home,kiss the wife,check the mail,eat your Soylent tablet,put your mask on,& re-charge your batteries.Ahhh,the future is now.

:-)

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2005, 11:56:32 AM »
Just got off the phone with United Sleep Diagnostics.  Guess my referral finally got done.  Check-in is at 8:00 PM on 9/16.  A much as I dread going to do this, I know I have to.  I am hoping I have similar results to a lot of you--weight loss, more energy, etc.

Greg