Author Topic: Okay, the audiophile thread  (Read 2831 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Okay, the audiophile thread
« on: February 10, 2006, 03:38:28 AM »
Okay. Bogie Knows Home Theater...

You want your front main speakers to be able to handle a decent full range signal. Down to 50hz or so. If you are only going to have the two front speakers, you're going to want twin subs - helps with cancellation issues, and helps keep the Phil side on the phil side, and the Jerry side on the jerry side...

You also want the thing to be able to deal with 5.1, DTS, etc.

The Bose stuff won't play that low (in fact, the "bass modules" tend to drop off sorta high, and they run up to around 200hz, which means that you _will_ be able to tell where that sound is coming from. They do this because those little $5 speakers (estimated cost to build) are only good to about 300hz, If that low.

Notice the gap there. You may not notice it, until you listen to something else.

Is getting this past your wife the problem?

It is also possible to make a _killer_ subwoofer, with a little help from Office Depot, for well under $250. I'm talking about something that'll make you think that that darn dinosaur is trying to come through the front door. It'll take up about 3 cubic feet.
Blog under construction

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 03:45:18 AM »
Ahh, the vaunted Bose speakers.  Bose makes great noise-cancelling headsets, but their speakers, well...

If you own Bose, then hold your nose
and test your ears as well.
For when you get your hearing back
youll know theyre not too swell.
Youve got 12 bucks of paper cones
and a flimsy cardboard box --
not enough to be bare bones,
much less to say It rocks!
No top, no bass, just muddy noise
and cabinet resonance too.
Its clear now that the K-Mart boys
gave you a royal screw.
Why buy Paradigm or Energy, B&W or NHT
when you can shell out twice as much
for Taiwan quality?
But be indignant; tell yourself
you dont really think it sucks.
(what else can you do after flushing 600 bucks?)
You know as much as all us snobs
who put your purchase down.
Cuz now you is an awdeohfyle
with direct reflecting sound!
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

onions!

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 04:35:47 AM »
No real input other than ...
I was a Bose snob until I heard a set of Advents @ 1/5th the price.

Ahem.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 04:37:30 AM »
Yup. Friends don't let friends buy Bose.
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 04:48:24 AM »
Now, what alternatives does one have? Let's say that the budget is $1,, but lower is okay.
Looking at ebay, right now you can get two fronts and a center for under $100, plus shipping (Infinity Entra Twos and an Entra center - these are nice home theater speakers, and okay for rock, but with jazz horns, they drive me crazy). Right now, Harman Audio's store has the wall-mount speakers... $62 at present, $15 shipping. They listed for $300+. Let's call it $500 for the speakers. Add in a "kit" subwoofer for $250, and we've got $250 left.

Or... You can buy Magnepan MMGs for $550 plus shipping, and return 'em if you don't like 'em. You won't need a center channel, but your amp/receiver should be able to deal with 4 ohm loads. Surround speakers to match these will run you $300/pair.

You can buy a HT receiver for well under $400 - probably under $200 that'll work. Or since you're only worrying about stereo... My upstairs system is a 25 year old Marantz pre-amp and $250 worth of amplifier driving those maggies... Look at goodwill - you may be surprised.

Or you can buy something that's all in one box, so that if anything breaks, it all breaks. With no upgrade capabilities. That doesn't sound good.
Blog under construction

mfree

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 06:44:13 AM »
*shrug* I'm still driving a set of 1975 kenwood KL-333s with a 280W Optimus. Flat response line with plenty of base, goes as loud as I need, directional enough to serve as the two front when I hit the surround button (I have a center only, can't remember the brand or type, hehehe)....

I will say though that when I put together my "home theather" when I get my basement back and freed up, I'll have some nice tube amplifiers and some integral horn subs if I get my druthers Smiley

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 06:54:01 AM »
I've been a die hard Klipsch fan ever since visiting a friend way back in the late 80's... he had a pair of KG3's hooked up to a relatively cheap 80watt Onkyo head unit.   They rocked his entire neighborhood and had the most crisp sound of any speaker I had ever heard.  Those very KG3's are my rear surround speakers and I have a set of Klipsch Synergy's up front and a KLipsch center speaker.  My sub is a Definitive Technology Prosub.  

Vivaldi (any good baroque period classical) cranked up on Klipsch is the way it was meant to be heard Smiley

All bias aside.  I highly reccomend them due to the horn tweeters they use.

Now I just need to replace the 55" rear projection with a 96"+ projector Smiley
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 07:01:41 AM »
Another Klipsch owner here, I don't remember the series of speaker but it was their lower-line stuff before they got into the best-buy market a few years ago. Might be synergy as the above poster mentioned. Nice speakers. Mine were grey-market stock, had been dropped, All were fine except for one speaker with a bad connection in side, which I repaired.

Already have the 100" projector Smiley

Ron

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 03:43:59 PM »
When I started accumulating my Adcom amps, pre amp and other equipment I figured I would "upgrade" my speakers also.

After all was said and done I decided to keep my original Klipsch Fortes that I bought around 87-88.  In spite of their being horn speakers that are nearly 20yrs old they sound fantastic.  I bought all Klipsch (center,rear) when I went to Pro logic surround sound.  When I upgraded to a Dolby Digital pre amp I bought the long needed sub woofer, also Klipsch.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 03:59:09 PM »
Okay, what would you recommend for say, $1500 between amps & speakers, and another 1500 for a new big screen TV?

Or 3000 total, if breaking it down that way is incorrect?

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 04:04:14 PM »
Hmmm... A place where gun nuts congregate, and it appears that most of 'em prefer Klipsch speakers? Heh, heh... Of course it couldn't be the 98db+ sensitivity?

Upstairs:
Sony DVD/SACD player
into
Marantz preamp (also have a Marantz tuner) from the seventies - I think it's a 3300 or a 3200 or something like that...
into
A recapped Hafler DH-200 (factory built) that's good for 135wpc with 0.0015% THD into 8 ohms...
into
Magnepan Magneplanar MMG speakers (4 ohm) and twin 15" Dayton Quatro sealed (3 cubes) subwoofers. MMGs are on stands, and vertical, about 24" off the floor.

In Bogie's Bunker...

Sony DVD/SACD player
into
Denon 2803 (used only as preamp)
into
Hafler DH-225 (bridged - center) Infinity Entra Center Two
Hafler P230 (bridged - front) Infinity Entra Three
Hafler P230 (bridged - the other front...) Infinity Entra Three
Hafler DH-500 (sides) Infinity Entra Twos
Hafler DH-500 (rears) Infinity Entra Centers
LFE into
Two Parts Express 240 watt plate amps, into two 15" Dayton Quatro subs, each in a 5.5 cube ported sonotube tuned to 18.5 hz.
Front sofa has four Bass Shaker transducers mounted for a 4 ohm load, run by a 100 watt plate amp.
Blog under construction

...has left the building.

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 04:54:54 PM »
I have a Marshall 100W half-stack, does that count? Wink

sven

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 05:53:55 PM »
B&W 303 speakers are an unbelievable value

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 05:55:35 PM »
So what's the deal with "middle speakers" that I have read about? Supposedly to enhance / isolate conversation from background music in movies? Gimmick or good idea? I definitely have problems sometimes making out conversations in some movies -- the music seems to overwhelm the speech. Still not sure if it just isn't my ears getting older. Smiley
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 06:30:59 PM »
*Snicker Alert*

I grew up with a Philco Record Player, played 45 records, and with the attachment played 33 1/3 RPM ones.
Then the B/W TV, forgot the brand,  3 stations, you get could tubes at the Drug Store, had an antenna on the roof, and the Indian on the test pattern was to shoot suction darts at.

I then went to Channel Master AM/FM Stereo with 8 track.

Progressed thru Cerwin Vegas, Klipsch, Kenwood, Marantz...and I forget what else...Last TV I had was a '79 Sony 13" , used mostly to watch movies thru a VCR, or VCR education related tapes, or training tapes. I dropped the TV "one more time" it died and have yet to replace it...no immediate plans to.

I now most often listen to a 80's vintage Sony Walkman, to a radio station or two. Sometimes I listen to a cassette tape, my truck uses cassetes too.

In Storage is a Sony ( whatever you call them) with AM/FM Stereo, Cassette, CD. Last time I used it was to record a CD onto Cassette so I could listen to it in my Walkman or Truck.

Takes up less room, less to dust, easier to dust...just got back to simple  I guess.

Dollar Store has the best price on AA batteries. So I listen to the Walkman with headphones of course and do my studying using a laptop...or take a mental break and kick back and close my eyes...just listening.

Tapes in the truck are for when a ball game or somesuch is on...or late night talks shows are on. Traveling at night...I play my tunes.

Don't care what folks say, Henry The Chickenhawk sounded better off that green vinyl 45 record off that Philco than the CD version I heard awhile back...

*grin*

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2006, 06:39:37 PM »
A lot of movies are recorded with a center channel in mind. Some systems can deal wtih it, some can't.

FWIW, have a Marantz 2230 and Infinity Studio Monitors in my bedroom...

Workin' on a computer system. It's probably gonna have a pair of 15" subs...
Blog under construction

HForrest

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2006, 07:18:54 PM »
I, by no means, am an audiophile... although I probably would be if I had more money. I'm pretty pleased with what I have right now, though, and based on what I can tell with my inexperienced ear, the sound quality is great. It was about $500... 2 moderately sized Paradigms and a Denon receiver. Kicks the crap out of any Bose I've heard.

Someday I'll get a Marantz 4400, I love that vintage 70's charm. http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/4400.html

Ron

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2006, 11:46:21 AM »
So what's the deal with "middle speakers" that I have read about? Supposedly to enhance / isolate conversation from background music in movies? Gimmick or good idea? I definitely have problems sometimes making out conversations in some movies -- the music seems to overwhelm the speech. Still not sure if it just isn't my ears getting older. smile
In a Dolby Digital system the center channel will be getting 60% of the work load.  A good center channel will make it much easier to hear dialog.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2006, 11:49:35 AM »
I have a set of Klipsch's and a set of the B&W 300 series, very happy with both, although now I'm sure there are much better choices than the B&W set I went with.  Do some research on audiophile forums.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2006, 04:14:12 PM »
I just bought a pair of Energy C-3 bookshelf speakers, and I'm confused as to how you integrate your 2 channel music setup with a HT setup. Maybe you don't? It seems like you have to have an integrated reciever to do surround sound, there's not way I want to listen to my music on that.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2006, 05:57:48 PM »
Upstairs, I split the signal coming out of my stereo preamp. For each output, I send one side of the splitter to the amp for the maggie, and the other side to the amp for the sub.

If I listen to two channel stuff in my basement with the surround sound stuff, I just set the AV receiver to either "direct" or "stereo."
Blog under construction

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2006, 07:32:46 PM »
Man, I feel like a piker with my 30 year old Kenwood amp and receiver, originally 40 WPC, but turned up a little after the power transformers blew about 10 years ago.  Still sounds good through my Norman 8's I bought at the same time, though. Picked up a set of JVC 12 inch 3-ways of about 1982 vintage that do pretty well, but one of them needs a good reconing. In the warehouse I have one and a half Norman model 12's with a blown crossover apm that came through a house fire- picked them up for literally nothing- the speakers are (were) fine, but someone helped themselves to the subs and the piezo 5 piece tower tweeters. Saw them laying on the dash of some kid's pickup shortly after that and thought to myself 'hey, that looks....familiar....' before I realized they were missing. Still have one intact but missing the goodies for the second cabinet. Anyone know where I could find a replacement?

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2006, 07:44:58 PM »
Don't feel bad Sylvilagus. I have a 1977 Sansui 9090DB that still works pretty good. (125 watts) A couple of the pots are a little crunchy but oh well. Hooked to it are 2 way older console type setups that I gutted and left the speakers. Both bought at tag sales for next to nothing. People don't realize they put some mighty damn fine speakers in those things. Channel A hs three ways and Channel B has these cabinets I found with FOUR ways. They both have 2 - 6" mids and 1 - 4" tweeter and then one has a 12" woofer and the other a beautifully MASSIVE 15" woofer. They're rated for 200 watts. They may be old but they WILL rock your socks off and they're clear as a bell too! Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2006, 04:31:15 AM »
Yeah, you can find the NICE old two channel stuff very inexpensively, especially after all the folks "upgrade" to the 5.1 stuff... My upstairs system, which I chose for "nice" sound, has a preamp and tuner which are 30 years old... I've scored similar gear at a local Goodwill - Pioneer receiver, Infinity Studio Monitor speakers, etc., etc...
Blog under construction

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2006, 05:21:58 AM »
I've always been so happy with them, I haven't looked around for that stuff in years. I imagine I could upgrade pretty cheap these days. Mine is relegated to the basement family room due to the ugliness factor. Smiley
Avoid cliches like the plague!