Author Topic: How to find a missing hard drive  (Read 1053 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
How to find a missing hard drive
« on: February 15, 2006, 11:00:23 AM »
I've got a spare hard-drive on my puter, and its suppossed to be local disk F.  Can't find it, any idears on how to get it open?  I'm hoping that it didn't come loose somehow...I don't want to open the case to check because its a brand new puter.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 11:01:44 AM »
Reboot and go into the CMOS settings.  It should tell you what drives have been detected by the system.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 11:35:11 AM »
Give it a real stern look, shake your finger, and say, "You will so work with that hard drive or so help me I'll give you what for."

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 01:58:02 PM »
More info may be needed. Is this like a Dell or other big name, or did a local person build it for you?

If local, they may have put the drive in and not let Windoze (if you're using Windoze) create the volume. Go to control panel/admin tools/computer management/disk management/ and see if it shows up there.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 02:56:44 PM »
You could contact the folks that put pictures on milk cartons, and see if they will help.
In addition, a good private investigator might be worth your while.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 03:21:38 PM »
Post pictures of the lost drive on telephone poles and offer a reward.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Cyanide_357

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 03:38:08 PM »
A couple of questions:

How large is the drive, and how many Hard drives do you have in total?  More specifically, is it connected through the primary or secondary IDE controler, or is it connected through a raid controler / IDE expansion card?  Or is it SATA?

Did the drive ever show up on your computer?

what OS are you using?  If XP, then right click on "my computer" and select "manage".  Then select "Disk management" under "storage".  See if the drive is visible to the OS.

Hopefully we will be able to get it working.

Cyanide

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 03:44:16 PM »
I'm thinking of Sean Connery in the "Untouchables." I'd by an old 386 for $20, then blast it w/ a 12ga or 45-70 where your computer can see. Damn thing'll defrag itself in fright.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 08:54:31 PM »
I'd look in the last place you put it.

Check the cables.  Spent an entire day beating on a computer because the HD wouldn't work, to find out I was using a bad cable.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 08:14:48 AM »
Well, mama decided that it was going to the store before I could look at it.  After being unplugged and rebooted there, it came right up.  They coudln't find any reason why it did that, and hypothesized that it was going bad.  I've moved all the vital stuff out of it onto the primary C drive just in case.  I'm tempted to pull it, install it back into the old computer, and then wipe that one clean with a restore disk, and use it as a spare game 'puter networked into this one.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”