Author Topic: Travel to Spain  (Read 1159 times)

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
Travel to Spain
« on: February 16, 2006, 07:19:40 PM »
My parents are planning their first ever trip to Spain. They fly from
Minneapolis to Madrid arriving on 3/10 and depart on 3/20 from Barcelona. They
would like to explore those cities and their vicinities. They would like to
enjoy architecture (with more emphasis on XVIII-XXI centuries than on the
ancient one), walk around city squares and parks, visit art museums, taste
foods, etc.

They don't know Spanish and have no local contacts (though they would be happy
to make them, provided they speak English). All advice (beyond whats in
tourist books) on what to see or do and what to avoid; where to eat and stay
near the most interesting areas in/around Madrid and Barcelona (no fancy
amenities necessary, but quiet sleep would be great) would be appreciated.

Travel to Spain
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 02:43:22 AM »
My advice is that they take me with them! I can speak enough Spanish to order them a beer and find them a bathroom and maybe get them an ocean container of steel if they need it. But I'm perfectly willing to walk ahead of them with the guidebook and translation guide and look like a fool so they don't have to. I'd say its a very fair deal!

Ah, ok. No real advice but I hope they have a great time!

Smith

• friend
Travel to Spain
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 05:03:05 AM »
I have traveled to a lot of countries where I didn't speak the language.  I would say that they will get by just fine anyway and many folks there will speak English or perhaps French (if they know that).  It is easy enough to get around without speaking the local language.  I'd say they should get a few travel guides and an easy Spanish phrase book and they will be ok.  They don't speak a lot of Spanish in Barcelona, but rather Catalon' so English will probably be easier there anyway.  Far better to speak English in Barcelona than poor Spanish, since both Spanish and English are second languages to the Barcelonian, and your parents speak one of them well.

InfidelSerf

• friend
Travel to Spain
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 05:55:09 PM »
I spent 3 of the greatest weeks of my life in Spain summer of 95'  (as well as a trip up to Assen Holland for the Dutch GP)

I would highly reccomend they take a trip to Segovia Spain http://www.segoviamint.org/english/segovia.htm

It has a world famous castle(Alcazar castle,arguably THE castle Disney modeled his after), an incredible 16th century cathedral and a 2000yr old Roman aquaduct

Segovia is certainly a Spanish jewel.  Your parents will love it. Well worth the bus ride or rental car fee.

Too bad they aren't going around the beginning of July they could visit Pamplona and run with the bulls Smiley
Of course when my friends and I were there we spent all night getting slappy drunk off Calamacho's (sp) (Spain's signature drink..50/50 red wine and coca-cola)
We ended up just watching the bulls enter the stadium at the end of the run. (there are several runs a day for a week, so the "running" isn't just one run)

They will certainly want to try some authentic Gazpacho (not these fake concoctions martha stewart and the like publish)

While in Madrid there is nothing like a good cheap calamari sandwich and a beer while people watching.

And where else can you walk up to a bar out on a median strip on busy 8l ane street?

You might also let them know that picking up some X from a stranger in downtown Madrid is really easy and makes the marathon long night of technodisco clubs more interesting Wink  
Once again where else can you leave a club at 7am walk across the street and enter another that is just opening up.
Oh and if some SUPER HOT woman wants to dance with your dad.. remind him that her boyfriend is probably the guy behind him trying to rub his *ss on him.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

LawDog

• friend
Travel to Spain
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 06:05:17 AM »
Barcelona is one my favorite cities in the world.  Most everyone there speaks English, but they will be absolutely delighted if you attempt Catalan or Spanish.

http://www.barcelonaturisme.com/

The Poble Espanyol near Montjuic hill is not to be missed, if you are a fan of architecture.  Montjuic is also home to several museums.

El Quadrat d'Or has some really beautiful buildings, and some really wierd ones.  Really wierd.

Lovely city, lovely people.

LawDog