Author Topic: Olympics talk  (Read 1011 times)

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Olympics talk
« on: February 18, 2006, 01:36:14 PM »
Anyone else disappointed with the conduct of our current crop of athletes? Well, most of them. There are a few bright lights.
Anyone have any problem seeing just exactly why M. Kwan showed up and then bailed?
What was that snowboarder (Lindsey Somebodyorother) thinking when she pulled that obvious hotdog move last night? My only sorrow in her regard is that the third skiier didn't beat her as well.
After all of the hype, Bode (bode.com fercryinoutloud) places 5th in his main event. No tears here. He's all talk, no discipline.
Or the speedskater (shani?) who refused to join the team in the pursuit, because he was afraid it would interfere with HIS goals. Obviously unclear on the concept of TEAM! That jerk should have been sent home on the first plane.
And these are the athletes getting all of the press. The ones who quietly go about doing what they train for, and actually WIN, get just a passing mention.

Or maybe it's just me getting older.
What do you think?

Iain

• friend
Olympics talk
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 01:55:47 PM »
I'm just happy a British athlete picked up a silver medal in an event that doesn't involve pretty dresses and choreography.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Olympics talk
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 02:01:14 PM »
Just about the only events that I enjoy watching (biathlon), have been on so early I haven't caught any of them. This is one of the most popular events with the europeans, I bet they get to watch during a decent hour.

bob

Iain

• friend
Olympics talk
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 02:08:26 PM »
I've seen a bit of it, but it's not a big sport here, and it lacks the immediate thrills and spills of other events that are not big sports here, but we like to watch when the Olympics are on. We have had one biathlete (?) compete, but she didn't do so well. Good shot I believe, but not so quick on the skis.

If a Brit might possibly win a medal then the BBC are all over it. Worked out well on the skeleton bob, not so good on the curling.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Olympics talk
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 05:27:54 PM »
I'm impressedwith the current crop of athletes.  Just not the Canuck or American hockey players.  The Swiss and Slovaks are putting on great shows.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Olympics talk
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 02:21:51 AM »
Boy that curling is SOME EXCITING STUFF!! rolleyes We may not have the best women's team but we sure got the cutest!

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!