Author Topic: Anatolian Shepards  (Read 1203 times)

LawDog

• friend
Anatolian Shepards
« on: February 19, 2006, 05:55:14 AM »
My beloved bullmastiff went to the Great Yard in the Sky three months ago.

Now, friends of mine have gifted me with an Anatolian Shepard.

He's no bullmastiff, but he is a loving and affectionate critter.

I do have to ask though:  do all Anatolians jump for no reason, or is this dog touched in the head?

I'm serious.  He'll be standing in the back yard, and for no reason whatsoever, he'll suddenly jump straight up and kick sideways.  It looks wierd as hell.  Funny in the yard, but if he gets startled inside the house, he does the same thing.

I've checked all the Anatolian websites, but nobody mentions anything about jumping.

LawDog

Anatolian Shepards
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 06:07:54 AM »
Not familar with Anatolian Shepards.

I had a Bitch once that acted like that, sometimes  (rarely) funny as hell, most times just plumb crazy as a road tick.

I divorced her after she committed adultry.

I'd keep an eye on her, your wallet, credit cards, and for sure your SSN!

TarpleyG

• friend
Anatolian Shepards
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 07:21:25 AM »
Odd you ask about these dogs.  I have had Duke for 8 years now.  My mom adopted him from the shelter and I assumed ownership shortly thereafter, partly due to him being known as "that jumping dog" by my little nephew.  Now, keep in mind we didn't know what he was...until last week.  I always thought he was a "Heinz 57" because he looks like nothing else.  My wife was watching the dog show and low and behold there's our dog on TV.  Got to looking around and he has all the markings and behavior of an Anatolian Shepherd.

He minds pretty good but when he gets away from me, he's gone.  Makes it into a game where I chase him--frustrates me to no end.  He's very lovable and loyal, loves kids, and just about everyone else he meets.  Not so good as a protection dog but he does alert if he senses something not right.  He tries to eat our cat at every chance he gets.  And yes, as my nephew can attest to, he likes to jump.  We have tried and tried to break him to no avail.

Here's Duke:

Greg

bratch

• friend
Anatolian Shepards
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 09:47:09 AM »
He minds pretty good but when he gets away from me, he's gone.  Makes it into a game where I chase him--frustrates me to no end.
Describes my Belgian Shepard to a T

Warren

Anatolian Shepards
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 11:05:30 AM »
Little known fact about Anatolians is that they are trained to fight invisible ninjas. Your place seems to be be just crawling with them.

grampster

• friend
Anatolian Shepards
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 11:48:27 AM »
Might have something to do with the dog breed's occupation as a shephard.
Maybe he likes to...er, ah...jump sheep?  cheesy  Tongue
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Lo.Com.Denom

• friend
  • Welcome to my world...
Anatolian Shepards
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 02:20:45 AM »
when he gets away from me, he's gone.  Makes it into a game where I chase him--frustrates me to no end.
Tried running in the opposite direction, whilst making silly noises? Works for us. (We're big on silly noises around here. And running away waving our arms in the air. Not part of the dog-training... just because... Tongue )

TarpleyG

• friend
Anatolian Shepards
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 04:35:43 AM »
Tried running in the opposite direction, whilst making silly noises? Works for us. (We're big on silly noises around here. And running away waving our arms in the air. Not part of the dog-training... just because...
Yeah....tried that.  Didn't work.  He has the nose of a Beagle I think.  If I weren't worried about him being in the road around that blind curve, I'd just let him go.  Here in Florida, we live in the "city" so letting him run around is out of the question.

Greg