Author Topic: Photo questions :)  (Read 2292 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Photo questions :)
« on: February 22, 2006, 11:10:24 AM »
So I took out the big bad Leica with some of that B&W 400 (not the CN yet) and took a few random shots in the woods. Took them to Walgreens, had them printed and got a disk made up. I had to load a bunch of stuff from the Walgreens CD and naturally it took over my other photo related stuff.

Anyhoo, What are the prints? Are they digital reproductions of the negatives or are they done the old fashioned way?

They came a little dark, can I have the "decent" looking ones pushed a stop lighter if I have them enlarged?

The other thing is the files are HUGE on the disk and I can't figure out how to reduce them. When you click "actual size" the things are bigger than the screen. I got Photoshop and now this Walgreens stuff if anybody can tell me how to work either of them. Walgreens wants me to pay for an upgrade.

Tell you what though, the enlarged pix are very crisp! I learned a lot my first time out too.
Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 12:41:08 PM »
OK you are dealing with a couple of issues. I'll address each separately.

1. All prints from retails processors like Walgreens are processed on machines that develop the prints and then print them out digitally onto paper. You can get prints done the old fashioned way if you go to a good custom lab.

2. Push processing will require a custom lab.

3. Photo prints are usually 300 dpi. That means that for every inch of print you will have 300 "pixels". So a standard 4X6 print will take up 1200 x 1800 of screen resolution to view on a monitor. That's why they appear so huge. You can change the zoom factor on your screen to see them smaller on screen.

If you are talking about making the actual file smaller so that you can post it on here that is a different operation. I forget which menu it is in Photoshop but you are looking for "resize/resample". You can resize it down to 100 dpi sample rate, and set size to something like 300 x 400 pixels and it should be about the width of a typical post on here when displayed on a monitor. Then just do File/Save As to save it to your hard drive and not overwrite the original.

One other thing to remember. JPGs are a "lossy" format. What that means is the more times you edit and save the file, the more the file degrades. Always keep your original and save a "work" copy to do your edits on.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 02:23:00 PM »
Thanks!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 06:26:28 PM »
If you already have negs, you can't push 'em anymore. Those are the negs, and it's up to whoever does the printing. Hope that he/she likes Ansel...

Keep the large file size. Burn those suckers onto a pair of CDs, and those become your negs...

My "normal" file size is between 6 and 10 megs...  For Each Picture.

I shoot my Nikons in raw mode, so that I can get away with doing some image manipulation. I wish I had the time to calibrate the screens, etc., at work, but I'm pretty close to start with. I output on an Epson 10600 plotter, and I'm already itching for the new one.
Blog under construction

280plus

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 03:03:03 AM »
Well, it already appears to me I'll need to learn to do this myself. For costs and convenience alone. Plus I'm looking to leave the digital part out of it completely. I want to play the "retro" angle. I was not aware that the prints in my hand were digitally reproduced. Are these prints "sprayed" on just like I'd get out of my bubble jet (only better quality)?

I understand the film itself is specially designed for digital work. Is it still possible to get the old style B&W? Would you call it "analog" film? Tongue

yea, i wanted to post a couple here. I'm suspecting both Photoshop AND Walgreens want me to buy an upgrade to be able to resize. I have an old Kodak Hotshots program here I'll have to reload into this computer.

And just so I'm clear on this one, the negatives I have are what they are, I understand that, but in the printing process I CAN have them made lighter. Correct?

Believe me, I don't see any prizewinners in there, a couple of interesting ones maybe. I can see where you could go out and take a couple rolls on just one subject if you were so inclined. All in all it was a pretty good first time experimenting with the camera. I was happy to see that at least it was all in focus. I was definitely knocking the dust off of my shutter speed vs aperture vs field of view skills.

Cheesy

garrettwc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 03:48:50 AM »
Are these prints "sprayed" on just like I'd get out of my bubble jet (only better quality)?
Not exactly. It works more like a color laser printer where the image is burned onto the paper and then a coating applied

I understand the film itself is specially designed for digital work. Is it still possible to get the old style B&W? Would you call it "analog" film?
That's a new one on me. I suppose they mean it has something in the process that makes it scan easier. Check with your local camera store. They should be able to recommend something if you tell them how you are going to do it.

I'm suspecting both Photoshop AND Walgreens want me to buy an upgrade to be able to resize.
Walgreens maybe. Photoshop definitely not. Resizing for the web is a basic function that is even in the software they give away when you buy a camera. Unless Walgreens is saving them in some proprietary format other than JPGs, you can resize. I am using some software I downloaded for free called Irfanview. You can get it here:
http://www.irfanview.com/
Open an image in that program then from the menu choose Image|resize/resample and then set the parameters as I described. My picture in Barbara's "how we see each other" thread was done using that program.

And just so I'm clear on this one, the negatives I have are what they are, I understand that, but in the printing process I CAN have them made lighter. Correct?
Correct, you can play with the time you have them under the enlarger lamp, and or in the chemicals to get different effects. That's half the fun, playing "What happens when I do this?"

280plus

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 04:10:42 AM »
That's half the fun, playing "What happens when I do this?"
Yes, I can already see there is almost an infinite number of variables that can affect the outcome of just one click of the shutter. Hmmm,,,(looking under couch cushions for change to buy chemicals and equipment.)  Wink

I just CAN'T seem to figure out how to resize on photoshop. Thanx for the link! I'll check it out.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 04:54:25 AM »
The box the film is in says, "Do not process in black and white chemicals". That's what makes me question the whole process. I appreciate the time spent on answering me too . I actually found a link on the box. Maybe I can answer some of these questions from there. I'll do a report...

Cheesy

Here are the answers to a lot of my questions...

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/films/bw400cn/main.jhtml?id=0.1.22.14.23.14&lc=en

One other question. It says it want the negs developed in total darkness. No safelight. Then it specifies a certain light but only for a few seconds. At what point in the process is it safe for the film to be exposed to any light?

garrettwc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 06:35:49 AM »
he box the film is in says, "Do not process in black and white chemicals". That's what makes me question the whole process.
Ah. [light goes on] That actually has nothing to do with digital. The emulsion [the stuff on the film that gets exposed] is set up for C-41 color chemical process so that you can take them to the local Walgreens and get them developed. True B&W film like Kodak Tri-x [see the link on the page you posted] was what we always used. It uses a B&W specific process that uses D76 chemicals.

Over at the Leica Photography Forum there is a discussion related to what you are doing. Exposure to light is discussed along with a great little Daylight developing tank from Jobo.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 07:30:43 AM »
Good read, thanks yet again!

garrettwc

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 08:03:43 AM »
Good read, thanks yet again!
You're welcome. This thread has made me nostalgic so I'm enjoying it as well. Now get back to work and post those pics Cheesy

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 09:06:31 AM »
280, it looks as if you're having some difficulty with that outdated and complicated Leica.  I'll gladly give you $200 and a Kodak digicam for the leica branded paperweight. Cheesy

Here are some good sites in case you decide to keep that junky old camera: www.rangefinderforum.com and www.apug.org.

I'm not a RFF member, but I'm mtnbkr (here, there, everywhere) over at apug.org.

Chris

280plus

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 10:15:20 AM »

Cheesy

garrettwc

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 11:40:26 AM »
cool
I see you're making progress.

Here are some good sites in case you decide to keep that junky old camera: www.rangefinderforum.com and www.apug.org.
"I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like.. creativity!" -dr bob

I love it!!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 11:57:07 AM »
I stumbled into the smaller file size on this one with IRFAN but can't figure out how to make the others smaller. I'll play some more later.

Wink

280plus

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2006, 04:01:13 PM »
I'll gladly give you $200 and a Kodak digicam for the leica branded paperweight.
Now how the &#$@&$% did I miss this?

Add a zero or two and we'll talk some more... shocked

Cheesy