Author Topic: Got wood?  (Read 367 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Got wood?
« on: March 07, 2023, 12:26:10 PM »
I posted about a smallish red oak I felled a few days ago.
https://armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=68122.0

Yesterday I managed to get it sawn up into lumber with my Granberg Alaskan chainsaw mill. Chainsaw is a Stihl MS362 C-M with a 20" bar running Oregon ripping chain.
boards were slabbed out to a full 1" thickness
After getting it slabbed up I edged the boards with a circular saw to get the most useable wood out of them. A couple were left the full 8' length but due to the taper of the log a few of them I cut down to give me wider boards instead of edging the whole length to the width of the narrow end.
Got some nice medullary ray fleck on the quarter sawn pieces.
Got it stacked and stickered in my shed where it will be left to dry for 8-10 months before it will be suitable for use.

First cut

Slabbed up

Edged

zoomed in

Pile of sawdust

Nothing gets wasted. The top and bottom slabs and the pieces I edged off will eventually go inthe wood stove and the sawdust will be used in the garden.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Got wood?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 12:56:23 PM »
Nice looking wood.  Do you have any projects in mind for it yet?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 01:06:57 PM »

My guess is he's gonna give that wood to the wife...

:rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 01:07:04 PM »
That's some killer ray flecks.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 01:07:36 PM »
That's some killer ray flecks.

I think I saw them in concert in... 1986?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2023, 01:49:20 PM »

Nothing specific. It'll be at least 8-10 months till it's dry enough to use.
I've got a bunch of Ash, White Oak and Cherry that is now a couple of years old that I need to use. Some of the White Oak and Cherry will be used on my sailboat for reworking some of the interior cabinetry this Spring.

After getting the shoulders fixed in 2020 I've been too busy playing catch-up to do much wood working
A few years ago I made up a handful of simple little folding tables like this out of some Southern Yellow Pine that my uncle had milled up for me.
This one isn't finished but it shows the design. All the screws were counter sunk and flush capped with dowels and the hinge parts were all made of oak dowels.

I gave a few away and sold a few at the farmers market I set up at.
I need to rework my prototype/design a little and make up some more out of Ash and Oak.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2023, 03:12:01 PM »
Man, that's real nice.  Great job saving that from firewood and spinning into a very usable commodity.  =)

Those Alaskan mills do get a little tiresome to run - but probably wasn't too bad on a cool day?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2023, 03:38:07 PM »
Those Alaskan mills do get a little tiresome to run - but probably wasn't too bad on a cool day?
I know a lot of people run winches of various types for their mills, but I saw a guy who used a couple of pullies to set up a gravity drag for his chainsaw mill.  Takes a lot of the work out of it.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2023, 05:29:57 PM »
Granberg offers a winch kit add-on for their mills. I need to take a closer look at it and see if I can fab up something as functional and a lot cheaper.
With a fresh sharpened chain the saw will pretty much pull it through for you. On the hard woods I cut, even green, I get about 3 passes before it's time to sharpen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2023, 07:33:01 PM »
Granberg offers a winch kit add-on for their mills. I need to take a closer look at it and see if I can fab up something as functional and a lot cheaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzjZ0qla_to
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2023, 08:08:51 PM »
I like Izzy's videos. He makes some neat stuff but I sometimes have to wonder if he is related to Rube Goldberg.
https://www.rubegoldberg.org/

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2023, 08:13:31 PM »
I like Izzy's videos. He makes some neat stuff but I sometimes have to wonder if he is related to Rube Goldberg.
https://www.rubegoldberg.org/

Hey, everybody needs a cordless drill powered walking dinosaur skeleton!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?