Author Topic: Big Boy Revolver  (Read 743 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Big Boy Revolver
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2023, 12:43:47 PM »
Never say never.  A number of obsolete cartridges were resurrected by the cowboy action shooters.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2023, 12:46:44 PM »
"Just saying the round still has utility,"

Yeah, you're not agreeing with me, then.

"The same thing happened to a rimmed 9mm cartridge; I think made by Federal."

The 9mm Federal cartridge. The true reason it failed, though, is that the gun company that partnered with Federal for the cartridge -- Charter Arms -- face planted in a very neat financial implosion about 30 seconds either before, or after, the 9mm Pit Bull revolver was announced.

Interesting thing about the 9mm Pit Bull... the 9mm Federal cartridge would have allowed the manufacturer to significantly shorten the cylinder, and thus the frame, of the revolver, making it a lot handier.

Only, they didn't do that.

They simply rechambered one of their .38 revolvers.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2023, 12:52:19 PM »
Never say never.  A number of obsolete cartridges were resurrected by the cowboy action shooters.

In this case, I am going to say never.... because the .38/44 isn't a cartridge, it's a variant loading of an existing cartridge, one that has been passed by both by updates to revolver technology AND by additional variant loadings of the exact same base cartridge.

The Cowboy action people? They brought back actual cartridges that had been falling into (or were already long since) obsolescence.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2023, 03:02:06 PM »
Maybe "Big Boy" was a pet name for some cowboy movie star's gun or something.  When I was a kid, I named my BB gun...  wait for it...."Betsy."

Terry, 230RN

Could be.  There was a character actor by the name of Guinn "Big Boy" Williams.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0930711/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_0_nm_1_q_quinn%2520big%2520boy
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”