Author Topic: 4WD Adventures  (Read 5387 times)

SADShooter

• friend
4WD Adventures
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2005, 09:00:43 AM »
Thanks for the info. For clarification: I need to get a Grand Cherokee (until I can afford to replace it) around on a Texas Hill Country ranch. Cautious by nature, so not looking to do anything beyond vehicle or driver capabilities. I just want to be more confident handling slopes, water and rocky/muddy terrain getting from A to B, safely.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Art Eatman

• friend
4WD Adventures
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2005, 09:34:46 AM »
More than once I've stopped to look a situation over before charging into it.  I'm a bit cautious on a side-slope, but by and large if you "play" a bit you'll find you can go up steeper slopes than you had thought.

Wheelspin in rocky country eats tires.

If I figure to maybe "fight" rough country, I carry a Hi-Lift jack along with tow chains and the old pick and shovel.

If you get stuck, and have a very long tow chain, you can tie off to a tree and then pull sideways on the middle of the chain.  That gives an incredible multiplication in leverage and you can pull a 4,000-pound vehicle a foot or two at a time...I prefer a winch, of course. Cheesy

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
4WD Adventures
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2005, 10:20:12 AM »
Well, I've got a couple (a bunch, really).

We used to hunt early deer season in August at Lily Lake, on the north side of Mt. Blanca.  The lake is above timberline, we hunted about 1/4 mile below it  (Steve, you ain't never SEEN mountains).  From the turnoff at Mosca Pass, it is 17 miles to our camp, the first 4-5 miles were road, and the rest, we just drove up the middle of the Cuchara River.  Then to get up to camp, turn and drive up a 45 degree slope of nothing but huge rocks.  Lots of lurching around, but dad's '55 Jeep pickup was up to the task.  About halfway up, we blew a heater hose.  We carved down a branch and hammered it into the block and then had to find a stream under the rocks.  We finally got the radiator re-filled using a Coke can.  It was a 2.5 hour trip (the 17 miles) including getting high centered at the bog halfway (twice, once on the way in, again on the way out).  This was in 1963.

About 1965, in the same area, dad turned the Jeep over to me (I was 15).  "Bout time you learned to drive off-road".

I got a bunch more.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
4WD Adventures
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2005, 10:41:25 AM »
Quote from: JamisJockey
Quote from: SADShooter
I have a novice question. Where can I learn more (preferably online) about properly handling a 4WD vehicle in off-road situations? Proper braking, acceleration, etc., techniques beyond shifting the transfer case. I'm not as adventuresome as you folks, but we do have some need to get around on less-than-level terrain. Thanks.
I have a great little video starring Ivan "ironman" Stewart.  Nothing beats hands on, but this video has some great tips.  If you're willing to pay shipping (about 2 bucks I'd figure) I'll send it to you.  Email me or pm me.
I just realized this BBS doesn't have PM available.  Email me Jamisjockey@yahoo.com if you want that video.  Its a good video for a beginner.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
4WD Adventures
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2005, 01:19:17 PM »
Oh, let's see ...

1) Full size 3/4 ton Chevy pickup on a "road" in Colorado that was originally meant to be wide enough for 2 mules to pass.  Sidewalls eating rocks on the uphill side, tread hanging out over a 1000+ foot drop on the other.  Does that count?

2)  A VW bug will plane on water if you get it going fast enough, which is better than not going fast enough and water blocks the exhaust.  The latter requires one to wade in the icy creek to push the bug back far enough to clear the tailpipes.  Makes a nice, but shortlived, double barrel water gun when you start it back up.

3) My fiance rolled her VW bug, so I took off the doors and remaining glass and we used it as a dune buggy / jeep in the mountains.  It was sorta off-center too.  It did great but didn't have the power to climb the steepest hills.  Got lots of strange looks from city folks in their fancy 4x4's Wink

4) Log truck buried to the axles in mud, does that count?

5) I knew several places in the hi-country where there was a fork in the road up on a really steep hill.  So if you were showing a flatlander around, they always had a heart attack when you turned and drove off the cliff - before they could see that there were actually a set of tracks going down there.

6) Montana Gumbo: not off road but it might as well be, or you soon will be anyway.  Best thing is just to stay home.  Just one of the hazards now of going to town.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

grampster

• friend
4WD Adventures
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2005, 04:48:09 PM »
sm,

You mentioned a '53 Chev, 3 ona tree, in line 6.  Mine was light blue, 2dr sedan, royal  blue painted dash with a lot of chrome too, mohair seats.  Ole gal would go anywhere.  My pal Gary and his ole' fece dog Spunky and I  used to take her hunting ringnecks, rabbits, squirrel and partridge.  If ole blue got us there, Spunky would run us some game. I think I drove her though more fields than roads in those days.   I had my dad's Ranger .20 ga in the trunk at all times.  Still have the gun, wish I still had the car.  sigh......

What color was yours.  She was my first car.  Did you have to pop the hood every now and again and wiggle the shift linkage to free it up?Smiley
Dick
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

4WD Adventures
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2005, 07:56:33 PM »
WARNING : Please put down all drinks, swallow any foods and don't eat anymore, might be a good idea to spit out gum or mints as well before you read the following.

grampster-

Hello sir!

The '53 Chevy was gray in color.

I am a '55 model. My earliest "four-wheeling" was in cloth diapers in a top drawer of a dresser on the back seat.

[ I warned you folks didn't I ?]

My glass bottle was warmed via the defrost I am told. I was afraid to ask what all occurred when I got older and told I was breast fed as a baby . My mind had all sorts of images...

Momma didn't know how to drive. Then one day I saw mommy behind the wheel of the '53 Chevy , daddy had coffee cans ( we didnt' know they were evil back then) on the gravel road parallel to the ditch in front of the house. Momma was crushing coffee cans, I thought it pretty interesting. Daddy kept yelling something about "parallel parking" - she yelled at him to quit yelling everytime she went into the ditch. I thought she was doing a fine job of hitting the ditch. Then I had the definiton of parallel parking explained to me by my neighbor- took him awhile as he was laughing the whole time.

I then learned the fine art of  changing out of my jammies ( the ones with the football that glowed in the dark on the chest)into my play clothes, while in the back of that '53 Chevy   so momma could take daddy to work so we could have the car to go shopping ususally just on Fridays. I don't know what this "we " part was all about. I kinda like taking the Bus ride or the trolley. I mean the '53 Chevy didn't have a cord that went "ding" or a bell to clang.  My head went "bump" the way momma found the curbs, potholes, and for some reason the brakes worked different for mom than daddy. Daddy did not have the brakes make screeching sounds, leave black marks,stink, or toss me from the back seat to up front.

I can't help but feel learning how to change clothes in the back of a '53 Chevy gave me a heads up on some skills for when I got older and took a date to the drive-in picture show...

As we know , but for the sake of others , one didn't need to have a key to turn on ignition or open the trunk. Just leave them in the "on" position or unlocked.  

My first personal "four wheeling" all myself was in the driveway. Daddy was at drill and momma next door. My Johnny Unitas football was under the Chevy. So I moved the car to get my football. Okay rolling it back was easy, not being tall enough to see and reach pedals at the same time...I just aimed at a overhanging branch to get my bearings. I got my football, I made it over the tree root in the dirt driveway, I pulled it up just fine, straight and everything. Mom freaked when she caught me, my smile went to frown " get a switch and if aint' big enough - I'll pick one"   I hate hedges to this day.

"Wait until your daddy gets home young man! "  Always hated that part too...

Daddy looked at me kinda funny. I started in " I didnt' crush any coffee cans" - that is when momma stormed out of the room.  " I got the football, I parked it straighter than mom and didn't mess anything up." Of course he refused the notion I go out and show him how I did this.

He later did test me by letting me pull the car up while sitting on his lap, with another evil coffee can " Just pull up to where the coffee can is even with left front bumper. Momma stormed into the house - guess she got mad because daddy was grinning - or maybe I didn't crush the coffee can.

Now we got all high dollar and got a second car, a '58 Dodge , two tone green with wings and push button transmission . Buttons on the left of dash - what idiot thought the rear view was supposed to go on the dash. That is where the burgers go from Tasty Freeze or Dairy Queen...I mean glove box pulls down and holds the drinks if the car hop forgets to leave the tray on the window...sometimes real busy and needed all the trays.

Now a fella at church had a '53 Chevy too, a blue one.  My expereinces in the one we had, and his, they would go anywhere ' cause we did. The only cool thing about the '58 Dodge was when you backed out of the drive , and hit "D" the tires would spin chat. [ We thought chat was high cotton compared to dirt and gravel.

'53 Chevy's went everywhere, lot of room for fishing poles, guns , dogs, all sorts of stuff to take way out in the backwoods.

We later got a Station wagon, with power brakes ,power steering, and again auto transmission . Had more kids too, good thing too. Momma took turns slinging kids all over the back from side to side, from back to back seat- and on a good day she could toss a kid from back glass all the way up front where she was. A kid would crawl all the way back to back glass...she would do this again.

I was about Ten when all my "four wheeling" and "driving experience came in handy. We went to the S&H Stamp redemption center. Momma and I were almost to the door and momma forgot a couple of books and my catalog with the toy circled I wanted. Momma went in, I was in the parking lot when I hear this kid about 2 just a wailing...and the car was rolling with him in it down the parking lot. I took off in a dead run, head first I climbed into the window, got settled and we went over the curb into the street. This was some kind of Desota I think. Anyway I knew if I started it - I could steer a bit better , so I did, and made sure the tree was in first gear. I eased into the street, using the building and all as I really couldn't see over that hood and eased in first gear to around back of store and back around front.

There was this momma really frantic running toward me as I was tugging on that hand brake. Then the Cop that  walked the beat, who was with the momma came over.

So I here I go - finally - into this S&H center with a nickel coke , the stamp books, my catalog with toy circled, and BIG Cop..."Ma'am is this your son?"

Momma's do weird stuff when a Cop twirling a baton asks them that...

"What did he do this time, and where did you get a coke...and...and..."

Cop told her. I thought mom was gonna faint before I got my toy.

Yeah I got to hear " wait until your daddy hears about this young man"  Only this time there was no swithches or belts involved.

See, I kept telling them a kid is not to young to learn stuff , I mean "4 wheeling" in the driveway came in handy...all them other times in fields and stuff too...

My toy...I finally had enough to get my bone handled hunting knife with a leather sheath...it was so neat!

Kinda explains why folks said I would not make it past my 21st, 30th, 40th, or to my 50th B-day. Still time on whether  I make it to 60 though if folks still wanna place bets....*grin*

steve