Author Topic: McCain Steps up  (Read 11252 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: McCain Steps up
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2008, 04:46:06 PM »
Some people, especially MB, keep hinting around about the NRA vis-a-vis Heller.  Well, some of us haven't followed the issue that closely.  So feel free to post some links, or start a thread. 

I'm not hinting at anything. The NRA were not the people who started the lawsuit, two Cato scholars were.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_v._Heller#Background

"This case featured involvement by groups for and against expanded gun rights. The National Rifle Association (NRA) was initially not supportive of the case because it feared it might not be successful. The NRA later reconciled with the plaintiffs."

So, NRA wasn't initially on board, but later did get on board.

What's the problem?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2008, 05:09:51 PM »

What's the problem?

If they had been on board from the beginning and it failed, then they would be at fault for supporting a doomed action that gave the SC the chance to declare the 2nd a collective right. 

By getting on board later, they showed they were only willing to provide support when it became a sure thing.

Chris

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2008, 08:02:56 PM »
I've read previously, but I don't have the facts in front of me to back it up, that at the time Heller (and the others) originally made their case, Justices Roberts and Alito were not yet part of the Supreme Court, and the NRA did not have confidence in the Court at that time.  Maybe someone else here can provide better substantiation.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2008, 03:20:44 AM »

What's the problem?

If they had been on board from the beginning and it failed, then they would be at fault for supporting a doomed action that gave the SC the chance to declare the 2nd a collective right. 

By getting on board later, they showed they were only willing to provide support when it became a sure thing.

Chris

NRA climbed on board with Heller LONG before it became evident that it was a "sure thing."

It didn't become a "sure thing" until Thursday, when the Supreme Court ruled.

Until that particular point in time, nothing was guaranteed.

Personally I can't blame NRA's leadership for being very, very careful about the case that they would choose to support. You get a single bite at this particular apple. Failure to win means devastating results for firearms rights.

I know, I know, a bunch of people are whining that NRA didn't support Heller from the outset. What, though, is the overall effect of that? Nothing, other than giving a bunch of people who can't see the big picture something to simper about.

And now that Heller has been decided favorably, guess where the lion's share of the resources is going to be coming from to fight Chicago, Morton Grove, San Francisco, etc. Those lawsuits are going to take years and cost millions.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2008, 04:30:32 AM »
Has he come out and changed his stance on it?

Obama has changed his stances on the 2nd, too.

I believe Obama has changed his stance about as much as I believe McCain has changed his.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2008, 05:16:19 AM »
Some people, especially MB, keep hinting around about the NRA vis-a-vis Heller.  Well, some of us haven't followed the issue that closely.  So feel free to post some links, or start a thread. 

I'm not hinting at anything.

Don't take offense.  I'm just curious to know what you're talking about.  Like I said, I don't know much about the case. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2008, 05:37:44 AM »

I believe Obama has changed his stance about as much as I believe McCain has changed his.

Larry Craig hasn't changed his stance as often as these guys have....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2008, 05:53:41 AM »

I'm not hinting at anything. The NRA were not the people who started the lawsuit, two Cato scholars were.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_v._Heller#Background

"This case featured involvement by groups for and against expanded gun rights. The National Rifle Association (NRA) was initially not supportive of the case because it feared it might not be successful. The NRA later reconciled with the plaintiffs."

What's the problem?

There's no "problem" as such. But I'd say people give them too much credit for this one.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2008, 07:17:40 AM »

Obama has not changed his stance. 
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2008, 10:40:23 AM »

Obama has not changed his stance. 

Yes he has.
Back in November, he said the handgun ban was constitutional.  Now he says it is not.
He now says he believes in the 2nd amendent; where in 1998 he wanted to ban all semiautomatics.
He believes in the 2nd amendment, but also believes communities can ban guns if they want (i.e. banning the 2nd amendment he believes in)
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2008, 04:03:41 PM »
About McCain being anti-gun, it looks like all he wanted to stop was buying a gun without a background check. That doesn't seem so bad now, does it?

I won't say that's the most naive thing I've ever read. But I can safely say it's the most thing I've ever read not connected to fairies, unicorns, and little baby kittehs.

When I was stationed it CA it was illegal for one private individual to transfer a firearm to another private individual without going through an FFL. Do you really want to see that nationwide?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2008, 04:40:38 PM »
Everybody running for President "believes in the Second Amendment."  Haven't you all noticed that? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2008, 05:10:06 PM »
Is anyone going to hold McCain's feet to the fire on his Gunshow Loophole Closing Bill? 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon