Author Topic: Gol Darned Technology  (Read 848 times)

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Gol Darned Technology
« on: January 06, 2012, 10:24:09 PM »
Finally got the full story behind this the other day.  Thought I'd share because it cracked me up.

An uncle of mine had a stroke a couple of years ago.  It left one side of his body pretty messed up but his noggin is intact minus a little bit of ability to speak clearly sometimes.

That's not the funny part.  Although the time I told him I'm glad he still had his sense of humor he said, "Yeah?  I'd like to be able to wipe my own a-a-a-arse. G-g-g-glad you're happy though!"  He's still got it.

My cousin and her husband got him a new TV with a Boxee Box for Christmas.  He sits down to fiddle with it one day, sees something on Netflix (or something) titled "Whores" and figures he's an adult.  He'll give it a go.  Documentary of some kind.  Anyway he's no more than 3-4 minutes into and decides it's not for him. Grabs the Boxee remote, fumbles it behind the couch, and jabs at it with his reaching stick to get it back which took a while.

Sits down at the computer a few hours later and sees that via the Boxee remote he managed to give a thumbs up to the 'Whores' movie on Facebook.  It literally came across the feed as "Rob McSomething likes 'Whores'".

When pressed for comment on the matter at a holiday gathering he said he was just trying to tell his sisters that he loved them.  Then he gave the real story.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Gol Darned Technology
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 10:57:20 PM »
:D :D :D

Oh, that's great!

I hope the sisters had a sense of humor.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 11:47:46 PM »
Sits down at the computer a few hours later and sees that via the Boxee remote he managed to give a thumbs up to the 'Whores' movie on Facebook.  It literally came across the feed as "Rob McSomething likes 'Whores'".

When pressed for comment on the matter at a holiday gathering he said he was just trying to tell his sisters that he loved them.  Then he gave the real story.

That's beautiful, man! <sniff>
"It's good, though..."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 12:00:26 AM »
SWMBO and I got a really good laugh out of your story.  Thank you.   :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 01:55:19 PM »
A man that can laugh at himself.  Good chuckles from that one.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 08:38:25 PM »
Since y'all liked that one, here's another.

Uncle Rob gave the eulogy for his father's funeral.  No, seriously, it gets funny.  Trust me.

One of Grandpa Jack's famous traits is that he was always fixing stuff and this came in every speech, especially Rob's.  Granted, he was always fixing stuff (cars, furnaces, lawn mowers, etc.) because his last fix never lasted for very long.  One of those great mysteries in life.

Consequently one memory that every one of Grandpa Jack's kids, including Rob, was holding the flashlight while dad worked on the car, the furnace, or whatever.  And inevitably the kid would lose focus, the light would wander up into dad's eyes, and the hallmark, "Shine that light in my my eyes again and I'll smack you into next week!" would be bolted out.  Rob probably went on about this for a good 5 minutes with examples that each kid could relate to. This furnace, that car, that stove, etc.

And then...

"So I'm sitting next to dad near the end and I tell him:  Dad, if you see somebody shining a bright white light into your eyes real soon, DO NOT threaten to smack them into next week."

Never laughed so hard a funeral in my life.  Busted up the whole lot of us.