Author Topic: Tragedy Avoided By TSA  (Read 2634 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Tragedy Avoided By TSA
« on: April 18, 2017, 08:48:45 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/04/18/southwest-airlines-pilot-arrested-on-gun-charge-after-loaded-firearm-found-in-carry-on.html

Granted he screwed up, but really the pilot, the one person who if he wanted to can do a lot of damage anytime he wanted to.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Tragedy Avoided By TSA
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 08:56:07 AM »
Every time I see a story like this where the person "forgot" he had a loaded handgun in their bag, I just shake my head (as I'm sure a lot of you do).  I know where all of my firearms are all the time.  Can't understand in the least anyone who forgets where he/she put a firearm, especially a carry handgun.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 09:07:24 AM »

Am I the only person who dumps and absolutely searches every bag or piece of luggage thoroughly before packing?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 09:10:13 AM »
Am I the only person who dumps and absolutely searches every bag or piece of luggage thoroughly before packing?

I don't use any luggage that I transport guns in.

That said...yeah...Germanwings anyone?  The pilot doesn't need a gun unless he's only holding up the starbucks in terminal B. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 09:41:32 AM »
Every time I see a story like this where the person "forgot" he had a loaded handgun in their bag, I just shake my head (as I'm sure a lot of you do).  I know where all of my firearms are all the time.

I may not know exactly where everything is at any second, but if I don't know the specifics of one it's because it's properly put away (whether at my place, at mom's or in her secure storage) and not relevant to any immediate action plan.  Anything readily available I know about.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 10:38:08 AM »

Or do what I do?  Use separate bags.  I have my work bags and my range bags.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 10:45:13 AM »
Silly incident (but I'm sure not amusing to the pilot). The difference is striking -- this guy was released on a $200 bond and chanrged with a misdemeanor. The guy who was arrested at Newark a few years ago spent a weekend in jail, eventually was released on a very high bond, and was charged with a felony.

Some animals are more equal than others ...

Seems to me if the pilot wants to carry a gun around on his aircraft he should sign up for the Federal Flight Deck Officer program.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 10:47:35 AM »
Can't understand in the least anyone who forgets where he/she put a firearm, ...

You don't own many firearms, do you?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 11:04:19 AM »

Can't speak for Chris, but I keep track of my expensive and liability-laden objects. 

Chris

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 11:51:23 AM »
I do keep track of my guns and I do not fly with bags that may have gsr or loose ammo. That said, I have forgotten a gun that was on me. Hell of a note to be somewhere guns shouldn't be and you can't leave for a week or so. Going to sea and found the P3AT right about the time the last line got heaved in the water. Stuff happens.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 12:12:02 PM »

No...I do that as well.  I also make sure to empty my EDC stuff from my pockets.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 12:28:19 PM »

Yay, somebody said the unsayable.

I have forgotten that I had a firearm with me over the 50+ years I've been shooting.  This business of a firearm being such an oh-so-special  piece of hardware is only a fairly recent kind of phenomenon.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but in the words of the sage, yang happens over decades.

I've also parked a rifle behind my shop door and forgot about it over a whole summer, where I kept the shop door open until the first cold weather. Lo!  It finally reappeared when I closed the door with me inside.

"Oh, there it is.  How about that?"

There.  I said the unsayable, too.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 12:42:55 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 03:17:06 PM »
Friend of mine had a gun in a carryon. Small local airport. They gave him a really hard time about it but let him go. Could have arrested him though.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 03:34:05 PM »
Flew last month from KC to Indy and made sure my carry-on was devoid of any firearms or brass and ammo.  I use the same bag for military duties and it had been at a 9 mm range and I may or may not have had some left over unaccounted for brass and/or ammo stashed away.  I'm actually surprised that the GSR/explosive sniffer didn't get activated since it had been overseas around some items.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 03:41:23 PM »
I've been carrying a concealed handgun since I was 21.  That's 52 years.  If anyone would consider a handgun an extension of hisself, it would be me; thus I might be in line for "forgetting" I had one on me or in my briefcase.  (I don't have a briefcase anymore since I retired)  I can't ever recollect failing to know where one of my guns was.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 05:17:25 PM »
I've been carrying a concealed handgun since I was 21.  That's 52 years.

:old:

Although you should only be discussing reasons with your lawyer, I would think "I forgot it was in there" would be the most benign of all possible explanations.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 05:19:38 PM »
I've been carrying a concealed handgun since I was 21.  That's 52 years.  If anyone would consider a handgun an extension of hisself, it would be me; thus I might be in line for "forgetting" I had one on me or in my briefcase.  (I don't have a briefcase anymore since I retired)  I can't ever recollect failing to know where one of my guns was.

I always know where all my guns are. Until I go to look for one and find that it has removed itself from where I know it is.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 05:39:09 PM »
To some extent, though, I might give him the benefit of the doubt if the gun ended up there by way of having to disarm somewhere he hadn't expected to be.

Once left one in the DA's car seat pocket that way.  (Long story, but before campus carry, open carry, etc.)

"Get your gun out of my car before my wife finds it and thinks I bought another one."
"Shouldn't we be a bit more discreet about that?  There are people all around."
"Who's going to charge you?"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 07:19:38 PM »
"Friend of mine" had a gun in a carryon. Small local airport. They gave him a really hard time about it but let him go. Could have arrested him though.

Fixed that for you.... :P :P :P :P
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 07:27:09 PM »
Fixed that for you.... :P :P :P :P

not a close friend...definitely not someone I would go to the range with
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 07:31:00 PM »
Punch Line
------------

You.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 10:10:25 PM »
My Dad once found some guns he didn't know he had.

(He was storing them for a friend with a druggie kid.)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2017, 10:45:42 PM »
At this exact moment* I can honestly say I do not know how many guns I own, but I do know where all of the are...I think.

*Less than 30 (I think) but more than 24. I really need to do a hard count again and verify/update my list of SNs and approximate value.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2017, 08:00:30 AM »
I know where all my firearms are at this time.

Some of them are even still at the store waiting for me to have the money to purchase them.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2017, 08:47:13 AM »
I know where all my firearms are at this time.

Some of them are even still at the store waiting for me to have the money to purchase them.

Quoted for truth.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.