Author Topic: Let the panic buying resume: ATF proposes reclassifying steel core 5.56 as AP  (Read 22843 times)

cordex

• Administrator
http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/files/assets/Library/Notices/atf_framework_for_determining_whether_certain_projectiles_are_primarily_intended_for_sporting_purposes.pdf

Just lovely.

There is contact information listed at the bottom of the document for comments. I do believe I will make use of it.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Oh for *expletive deleted*s sake.

I wonder how long it would take to pay off the national debt if we put these folks, and all the bureaucrats like them, in stocks in the public square and charged five bucks a head to give them a good swift kick in the balls/mommy parts? Lets make it an 8 for two special while we're add it.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Ohhhh word filter is getting creative these days  :lol:
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Ohhhh word filter is getting creative these days  :lol:
I've noticed that as well.
Can one of the mods flip the switch from pg to at least pg13.
Its blocking words that can be used on broadcast tv.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Damn, I only have 700 rounds of that crap ammo.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
IANAL but this ban doesn't conform to the clear and unambiguous wording of what constitutes armor piercing ammo. I would think this is not only good grounds for litigious intervention, but also for a quick and very definitive summary judgement.

Brad
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 03:24:43 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
IANAL but this ban doesn't conform to the clear and unambiguous wording of what constitutes armor piercing ammo. I would think this is not only good grounds for litigious intervention, but also for a quick and very definitive summary judgement.

Brad

It looks to me like it does. The magic phrase is, "May be used in a handgun.'
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Hmm maybe if you use some green tip to shoot tannerite from an AR pistol with a Sig brace and a Flaming Pig brake a black hole will open and swallow the ATFEIEIO.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

birdman

• friend
It looks to me like it does. The magic phrase is, "May be used in a handgun.'

Actually, it doesn't, the magic phrase is "projectile or projectile core

Specifically, the definition of “armor piercing ammunition” in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(17)(B) provides:
(B) The term “armor piercing ammunition” means—
(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper or depleted uranium; or
(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

Since the core is lead, and only the tip is one of those materials (unlike black tip, or russian steel core, where the whole core was), its much more what brad said.

cordex

• Administrator
Damn, I only have 700 rounds of that crap ammo.
Whatever you think of the ammo in question, this regulation will push up prices of all 5.56 ammo and probably the price of most other common calibers.

dm1333

• friend
Every pay day I buy a magazine, some .22lr or some Federal 55 grain 5.56.  I think I may stock up on some spam cans of Tula too.

brimic

• friends
Whe do we just get to say 'no' to laws made by unelected bureaucrats commisars?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Every pay day I buy a magazine, some .22lr or some Federal 55 grain 5.56.  I think I may stock up on some spam cans of Tula too.

Where the hell are you finding .22lr?

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dm1333

• friend
The interwebz.  I haven't seen .22lr in a store here in at least 6 months.  Probably closer to 8.  I've only been buying Federal Automatch in the 325 round box because all of my .22's seem to like it.  Every once in a while I pick up some American Eagle to use for when I bring people to the range or to donate to the ranges youth shooting program. 

Hutch

• friend
I pity those mindless sheep that are buying 5.56 because of the panic/stampede.  Not of that for me, nosirree.  I bought 4 more cans because of Vulcan logic and Solomonic reasoning.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
I did my part for the panic today.  Picked up a dozen boxes of 5.56 at the Wallyworld.  Bystandinggeezer (  :old: ) took pains to point out to the Wallyworldassociatewiththekeys that "I thought there was a 3 box limit."

-DoggythespiritofwildalaskawillneverDaddydie
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

cordex

• Administrator
I did a little scouting today and - at least online - M855/SS109 is gone.  Wideners is expecting a shipment soon and raised their prices on the new shipment by about 25%, but I couldn't find it anywhere for immediate delivery.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
Whatever you think of the ammo in question, this regulation will push up prices of all 5.56 ammo and probably the price of most other common calibers.

Sad but true. I checked sgammo yesterday and they had plenty of everything except M855. Today the amount of other varieties is dropping quickly.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

birdman

• friend
I think I have 700 ss109 or so lying around...dunno how many I have already loaded in mags.

Funny story, I was cleaning up my office last week, found a random box, opened it and there was 25 unopened Pmags and 20 something GI mags inside...Is it bad when (emotional roller coaster)
1. That happens  =)
2. You have no idea when you bought them.  ???
3. You realize you have over 100 AR mags... =D

4. You read this thread and realize at the current prices, you have more magazines than you have (or want to buy at current prices) 5.56 to fill them  =(

MechAg94

• friend
I think I have 700 ss109 or so lying around...dunno how many I have already loaded in mags.

Funny story, I was cleaning up my office last week, found a random box, opened it and there was 25 unopened Pmags and 20 something GI mags inside...Is it bad when (emotional roller coaster)
1. That happens  =)
2. You have no idea when you bought them.  ???
3. You realize you have over 100 AR mags... =D

4. You read this thread and realize at the current prices, you have more magazines than you have (or want to buy at current prices) 5.56 to fill them  =(
Well, that means you either have mags ready to sell in the event of another gun ban panic or you need a couple more cases of 5.56 to stash away. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Well, that means you either have mags ready to sell in the event of another gun ban panic or you need a couple more cases of 5.56 to stash away. 

Or both.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
Okay, fine. I gave in to the pressure and ordered 500 rounds of Brown Bear soft points (don't judge!).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 09:35:29 PM by BryanP »
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Makes me glad I was forced to settled in on XM193 for plinking fodder. My AR will eat 855 just fine but my Ruger Compact no likey. The little Ruger's slower twist won't reliably stabilize 'em. 3"-4" groups are the norm. I tried 68gr Match once. Keyholes. It shoots nice, consistent 1" groups with 55 grainers. Remington 45 gr JHP will go sub-inch all day so long as I I'm bagged up and take care not to heat soak the barrel.

Brad
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 03:29:26 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cordex

• Administrator
Makes me glad I was forced to settled in on XM193 for plinking fodder.
Whether or not this goes through, M855 is going to be gone for a while.  The people holding it aren't going to shoot it as readily because they know it can't be replaced, so they're going to buy up the 55 grain for blasting.  Along with the people who didn't get M855 when they could.  Along with the people who normally buy 55 grain. 

Bet you'll have a harder time getting any 5.56 at all, and what you do find will be much more expensive.

Plenty of suck to go around.

birdman

• friend
While it sucks, the fact these panics -vastly- increase the inventory of the citizenry isn't bad...driving an extra 5-10M AR's and an extra billion rounds or so into closets around the country because of fear of govt is ironically, a good thing in my mind.
Either prices will return to normal...or people will be glad they bought it and use it.

Either way....it warms the cockles of my heart to see American's still have the thought process "what? I MIGHT not be able to {do/buy/use} X?  Well, FU, I'm going to do it/buy it/horde it NOW, you can't tell me what to do"