Author Topic: Twisted Knickers - "American Sniper"  (Read 3868 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Twisted Knickers - "American Sniper"
« on: January 18, 2015, 07:21:59 PM »
http://www.thewrap.com/american-sniper-complaints-grow-in-hollywood-should-clint-eastwood-be-celebrating-a-killer/

There is so much fail in this article that I could spend an entire evening trying to sum it up. Suffice it to say, a bunch of Hollyweird bedwetters and sycophants get keep their heads from exploding over the fact that ther American public likes a film about an American hero.

I haven't paid money to see a movie in a theater for about ten years (or so, but who's counting?) but I may have to make an exception and go see this one just to support Clint for having the guts to make it. The movie may not win any Oscars, but Clint can laugh all the way to the bank while the academy engages in its own brand of sniping.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
Re: Twisted Knickers - "American Sniper"
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 07:36:12 PM »
The Iraq war was, and still is, a mess of shades of grey.

That said, I don't think most Americans understand the differences in culture, people, and standards in Arabia.

Suffice to say, I wasn't racist until I went to Iraq and met and worked with Arabs. 

The complaints that Chris was an unrepentant killer show a glaring lack of knowledge about good and bad, and what the world is really like. Not to mention a bone deep inability to understand what soldiers and war are like.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 08:01:50 PM »
The complaints that Chris was an unrepentant killer show a glaring lack of knowledge about good and bad, and what the world is really like. Not to mention a bone deep inability to understand what soldiers and war are like.

The pilots and crew of the Enola Gay were unrepentant killers, too, and they killed orders of magnitude more people than Chris Kyle could ever aspire to as a sniper. They are generally regarded as heroes. Kyle was doing a job, not unlike taking out the garbage. Criticizing him for being good at it makes as much sense as criticizing the janitor for polishing the floor too well.

What was it General Patton said about war? Oh, yes: "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country, he won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." I guess that makes Patton an unrepentant killer, too. Didn't the movie Patton win several Oscars? According to Wikipedia it did -- seven, in fact.

Patton won seven Academy Awards, including Best Picture.

• Best Picture
  • Best Actor
  • Best Director
  • Best Original Screenplay
  • Best Film Editing
  • Best Sound
  • Best Art Direction

Plus, it was also nominated for

• Best Cinematography
  • Best Visual Effects
  • Best Music, Original Score[/li
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 08:05:04 PM by Hawkmoon »

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 08:08:36 PM »
The critics won't be able to stop the public from seeing it, and I doubt that's their goal at this point. I suspect their goal is to keep the movie from winning awards.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 09:16:58 PM »
The only award that really matters is the one that goes in the bank.  ;)

And yes, the purpose of war it to bend the enemy to your will, after diplomacy and negotiation have failed.

(And not to bend our will to our enemies, Mr. Obama).
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 09:19:32 PM »
The critics won't be able to stop the public from seeing it, and I doubt that's their goal at this point. I suspect their goal is to keep the movie from winning awards.

Understood. Which is why I hope the film grosses a bajillion dollars, to demonstrate (to anyone with two grey cells to rub together) how stupid and vacuous the Oscars and the critics are. Unfortunately, it's all about political correctness. The academy doesn't like Clint Eastwood anyway, because he's not a flaming liberal. I haven't seen Selma (and I have no intention of ever seeing it), but I understand it's not especially correct, historically. Yet the bleeding hearts are all up in arms because the movie wasn't nominated for anything. If anyone other than Oprah had made it, nobody would care. And now we have a bunch of clowns who have no understanding of what war is like, no comprehension of what patriotism and dedication are, who haven't even seen the movie, complaining because America has voted with their pocketbooks ... it would be ironic if it weren't so outright disgusting.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 09:22:26 PM »
Mikey Moore  doesn't like it either

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 10:12:49 PM »

He's just upset that Clint beat him to it. I'm sure Moore would have portrayed Chris Kyle as an evil psycopath, and now he's had the opportunity snatched out from under him. The fact that the film is making money must be even more galling to him.

:applause:

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 10:31:29 PM »

That fat *expletive deleted*ck needs to choke on a hotdog and die. Too bad the sniper didn't shoot his father instead of his uncle, or we might have been spared the plague of idiocy.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 11:16:34 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 11:50:01 PM »
From everything I have read, war has always been ugly business.  some people just can't understand that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 08:34:02 AM »
I haven't gone to see a movie in a couple of years, going to go see this one.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 10:36:40 AM »
The pilots and crew of the Enola Gay were unrepentant killers, too, and they killed orders of magnitude more people than Chris Kyle could ever aspire to as a sniper. They are generally regarded as heroes. Kyle was doing a job, not unlike taking out the garbage. Criticizing him for being good at it makes as much sense as criticizing the janitor for polishing the floor too well.

What was it General Patton said about war? Oh, yes: "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country, he won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." I guess that makes Patton an unrepentant killer, too. Didn't the movie Patton win several Oscars? According to Wikipedia it did -- seven, in fact.

• Best Picture
  • Best Actor
  • Best Director
  • Best Original Screenplay
  • Best Film Editing
  • Best Sound
  • Best Art Direction

Plus, it was also nominated for

• Best Cinematography
  • Best Visual Effects
  • Best Music, Original Score[/li
Your average true believer in the cause would view the crew of the Enola gay as war criminals. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 10:41:51 AM »
I cannot believe the hate being directed towards this film. Not that, as pointed out, Eastwood will even give a crap. Also I bet 99% of the people dissing the film, including Michael Moore, would never have the courage to say what they're saying to Clint's face. Even at his age, he'd probably send them to the deck.

Between this and the Al Sharpton "emergency meeting" on race and the Oscars, it's all becoming quite ridiculous.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 11:50:28 AM »
Seth Rogen apparently hated the movie as well.

I consider that an accolade.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 11:55:39 AM »
Seth Rogen apparently hated the movie as well.

I consider that an accolade.
I figure he also knows that Eastwood wouldn't have pulled the movie due to a NK threat.

I keep wondering if the real reason for pulling that movie was it was so bad it was going to fall flat anyway.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 01:19:15 PM »
. . . Didn't the movie Patton win several Oscars? . . .
I remember in our local paper, someone wrote in to complain about George C. Scott winning an Oscar for Patton (which he didn't want) instead of giving it to the guy who starred in Love Story, with much blather about war, killing, etc. vs. gentleness and kindness. The movie critic then replied "For once the Motion Picture Academy gave the Oscar to the man who deserved it, rather than the one who wanted it."   :rofl:

As for American Sniper, the last time I saw such hate directed at a movie was a couple of TV critics attacking the original John Milius verson of Red Dawn. Two critics - IIRC, Lyons & Gabler - were practically foaming at the mouth as they ripped it. Then they suggested "good" alternatives to see - one was an Ingmar Bergmann "artsy" film, and the second was about a romance between two students at a British boarding school. (The school was not co-ed.   :O  )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 02:58:38 PM »
I'm trying to recall similarly reviled films. The Passion of the Christ is the only one at the top of the mind.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 05:19:04 PM »
I fail to understand the concept of people who clearly are in the "1%" having to give each other awards for playing pretend after making millions of dollars doing so.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 05:26:29 PM »
I guess the lefties want more movies about real heroes such as previous films focused on Che Guevarra, Alfred Kinsey, and Harvey Milk.  [barf]

I saw American Sniper today, I thought it was top rate.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 08:49:28 PM »
Something about judging a person based on who their enemies are comes to mind.

The leftist tards  are whining about celebrating a killer, I suspect Obama has killed more people with the stroke of a pen than Kyle did with a rifle.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2015, 08:29:37 AM »
Something about judging a person based on who their enemies are comes to mind.

The leftist tards  are whining about celebrating a killer, I suspect Obama has killed more people with the stroke of a pen than Kyle did with a rifle.

Related:

Denying Golden Rice Kills

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2015, 08:50:40 AM »
Fascinating. I thought it was the zomg gmo crowd behind the no golden rice

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2015, 09:50:26 AM »
Fascinating. I thought it was the zomg gmo crowd behind the no golden rice

One may then ask how new technologies can be introduced, if it is so easy to block them. There will always be a small, vocal group opposing a new technology. On the one hand, this is correct. Introducing new technologies will become more difficult. The advances being made over the past decade in information and communication systems reduce the costs of organizing the opposition as well as the costs of communicating technology-related uncertainties. On the other hand, uncertainties over a new technology can be balanced by uncertainties over not having access to a new technology stressed by a group of stakeholders as powerful as the opposition. This seems to explain why transgenic crops have been introduced within the US but not in Europe (Graff et al., 2013).
A countervailing power supporting the GRS and stirring uncertainties about not introducing the GRS has not been explicitly considered within the model presented, as this is currently not present within the GRS debate. The GRS has been developed by scientists. Scientists have the tendency to argue based on facts and not fiction, making it more difficult to be a countervailing power against the opposition to Golden Rice. Also, uncertainties and irreversibilities about the benefits and the other costs of the GRS can be included in the model. As a worst case scenario has been employed with respect to those benefits and costs, modifications of the model in the aforementioned direction will increase the calculated perceived costs. Further, recent nutritional studies show the factors translating β-carotene of Golden Rice into vitamin A are larger than expected (Tang et al., 2012).
One question that remains to be answered within this debate is: what are the incentives of the opposition to the GRS in India? This has not yet been well investigated empirically. Apel (2010) argues that this is driven by the financial support the opposition receives. A small industry has developed around the opposition to transgenic crops that survives mainly on donations and has to keep the debate about the risks of the technology alive. This strategy seems to be a successful strategy albeit, as the case of Golden Rice shows, at the cost of the lives of several thousand children.

Effectively, you are correct, but they have convinced the governments in almost every other nation of their arguments.

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2015, 10:04:17 AM »
How many blind kids as a result?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2015, 10:31:09 AM »
How many blind kids as a result?

250,000 to 500,000 per year, according to this article. And more than half of those die within a year after going blind.