Author Topic: Twisted Knickers - "American Sniper"  (Read 3869 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Twisted Knickers - "American Sniper"
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2015, 10:47:15 AM »
MSNBC thinks the movie has "ignited a national debate over violence". I'm with the commenter who asked why this movie, and not something like "The Expendables" has (I know the answer, but it's a good question to throw back at the idiots).

http://twitchy.com/2015/01/20/it-has-msnbc-american-sniper-has-ignited-a-national-debate-over-violence/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2015, 01:15:39 PM »
James Woods weighs in on Moore's foot-in-mouth episode:

https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/status/557412887988551680
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

wmenorr67

• friend
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

wmenorr67

• friend
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2015, 09:47:08 PM »
Saw the movie today.

No wonder Moore and his ilk are so pissed off about it. It is so unapologetically AMERICAN that it's like holy water sprayed on vampires to the shitheads.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2015, 01:04:11 AM »
Um.
I'm going to poke the nest as gently as I can, but I can't help myself: the more I learn of the causes and effects of war, particularly these last few decades' wars, the less I consider folks like Kyle to be heroes.
He seems(from interviews, I have not read his book) for all the world to be a man attempting to rationalize a shitload of killing by convincing himself that his marks were "bad guys".

It may be a thrilling movie, but I don't get much enjoyment anymore out of films which glorify killing and dying in service of State.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brimic

• friends
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2015, 08:53:04 AM »
Um.
I'm going to poke the nest as gently as I can, but I can't help myself: the more I learn of the causes and effects of war, particularly these last few decades' wars, the less I consider folks like Kyle to be heroes.
He seems(from interviews, I have not read his book) for all the world to be a man attempting to rationalize a shitload of killing by convincing himself that his marks were "bad guys".

It may be a thrilling movie, but I don't get much enjoyment anymore out of films which glorify killing and dying in service of State.

The military doesn't get to declare war, if you want to point your angst toward anyone, point it toward the politicians. Kyle did his part in making sure that as many young men and women came back alive as possible.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2015, 10:04:38 AM »
A local radio guy interviewed a lefty journalist and it seemed that her core opinion was that the movie was about Iraq, but didn't portray Iraq as a "bad" war.  It was odd.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2015, 11:32:29 AM »
Um.

Kyle was doing his job to protect his fellow servicemen.  Brimic is right, if you want to criticize, criticize the politicians who tell the soldiers to go to war then tie their hands while they're fighting and then court-martial them when they kill people.
And Kyle WAS shooting the "bad guys."  Why does there have to be any rationalization about that?
You can disagree about whether we should be over there but that doesn't make the enemy thugs into saints.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G