Author Topic: Twitter perma-bans Milo  (Read 4556 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Twitter perma-bans Milo
« on: July 20, 2016, 01:17:33 AM »

http://www.businessinsider.com/twitter-permanently-bans-milo-yiannopoulos-2016-7

Not having read the "tweets" in question (not a Twitter user) I have no idea if the ban was justified.  It is apparently related to the SJW kerfuffle over the Ghostbusters movie, of all things.

Yiannopoulos further predicted that his suspension would be "the end for Twitter."

Well . . . probably not.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Twitter perma-bans Milo
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 06:46:52 AM »
I love it when people demand free speech rights from a private company.   :facepalm:
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 11:16:59 AM »

Well . . . probably not.

Probably not, but a few more big users getting the ban will likely start to negatively affect them. Twitter is leaning really hard to the SJW side, and I think that's a bad business decision given that across the political spectrum, there's a growing backlash against the college crybabies.

Seems like a lot of these instances on Twitter are centered around being able to dish it out, but not being able to take it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 11:38:55 AM »
I love it when people demand free speech rights from a private company.   :facepalm:
???
Okay, so the First Amendment doesn't apply, and Twitter is acting within its legal authority to restrict communication.  Good deal.
But the company in question provides a communications service whose users by and large value freedom of speech.  There's no reason those users shouldn't be able to protest the ways in which the provided service fails to meet their expectations.  Was anyone demanding that Twitter be legally punished for banning someone or for censorship?  If so then that's stupid, but just because the First Amendment is not a restriction on private business does not mean that the ideals which it represents can't be used by private citizens to make their own decisions and complaints.

The Second Amendment doesn't mean that a given sporting goods chain has to sell AR-15s, but if they choose to kowtow to political pressure to stop selling them we can still complain about their choices and refuse to do business with them because of those decisions.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 12:19:00 PM »

Correct that people don't have free speech rights from a private company, with some obvious exclusions mostly related to public utilities.
However, people CAN demand free speech from a private company. Twitter is free to ignore it and throw itself into the loving arms of SJWs.

May or may not be the best business decision to be known for censoring users on political grounds, however.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 08:25:03 PM »
Ah, Milo.  Can't you hurry along his citizenship application?
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 09:50:13 PM »
Whats a Milo?
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 09:55:55 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 09:57:07 PM »
Ah, Milo.  Can't you hurry along his citizenship application?

We'll take him if you take Piers Morgan back.

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 10:11:18 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

agricola

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 05:42:47 AM »
We'll take him if you take Piers Morgan back.

We already have, I think.  At least he is on one of our morning shows now.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 06:07:24 AM »
We already have, I think.  At least he is on one of our morning shows now.

I was in London this week (sitting in Heathrow for my trip back at the moment), I saw him on the morning show.  I did a double-take because I thought he was in the US.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 12:18:52 PM »
I was in London this week (sitting in Heathrow for my trip back at the moment), I saw him on the morning show.  I did a double-take because I thought he was in the US.

Chris

Whelp, so much for slipping that TSA guy $50 to get you on the no fly list...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 12:33:14 PM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/twitter-permanently-bans-milo-yiannopoulos-2016-7

Not having read the "tweets" in question (not a Twitter user) I have no idea if the ban was justified.  It is apparently related to the SJW kerfuffle over the Ghostbusters movie, of all things.

Well . . . probably not.

A few things here.

1. Milo deserved the ban.
2. A lot of people who do the same kind of things he did deserve the ban, but don't get it.
3. The issue was victim selection. He picked a fight with someone who has more influence than him.
4. Twitter is going full SJW, and selectively enforcing its TOS.
5. However, what this generally (not always) means is that it lets lefties who violate TOS off the hook but bans righties for equivalent action.
6. Conservatives are not (for the most part) being silenced. They're just the ones who are more often held to the actual standards of the TOS.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 12:46:24 PM »
A few things here.

2. A lot of people who do the same kind of things he did deserve the ban, but don't get it.
3. The issue was victim selection. He picked a fight with someone who has more influence than him.
5. However, what this generally (not always) means is that it lets lefties who violate TOS off the hook but bans righties for equivalent action.
6. Conservatives are not (for the most part) being silenced. They're just the ones who are more often held to the actual standards of the TOS.

On #1, maybe. Again, I don't do the Twitter, so I have only seen the reporting on it. If he was in fact goaded by a fake account, one could argue "extenuating circumstances". One could also argue, "he shouldn't have taken the bait". Either way,  I think he'll do just fine with or without Twitter because:

Otherwise, 2-6 are pretty much spot on to what happened / is happening on Twitter. If Twitter continues to carry on in this way, five years from now it will be a "What's Twitter?" has-been.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2016, 12:48:27 PM »
For Milo, it's win-win.

He didn't get banned, it's just one more tool to keep on poking sticks into PC eyes.

He gets banned, it raises his media profile, "Who is Milo?", "What did he do/say to get banned?" etc.
I promise not to duck.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 12:58:06 PM »
What's a Twitter?  Some kind of bird?  Or did someone misspell Titter.  Which is sort of a laugh or a certain human species with an overloaded upper area. :angel:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2016, 01:28:59 PM »
On #1, maybe. Again, I don't do the Twitter, so I have only seen the reporting on it. If he was in fact goaded by a fake account, one could argue "extenuating circumstances". One could also argue, "he shouldn't have taken the bait". Either way,  I think he'll do just fine with or without Twitter because:

Otherwise, 2-6 are pretty much spot on to what happened / is happening on Twitter. If Twitter continues to carry on in this way, five years from now it will be a "What's Twitter?" has-been.

Incitement is also against TOS. He called on his followers to attack her, so the hundreds (thousands?) of people calling her a n*gger and etc fall on him. It was a legit ban.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2016, 04:29:25 PM »
Popehat looks at whether or not this incident rises to the level of defamation.

https://popehat.com/2016/07/20/lawsplainer-are-milos-faked-tweets-defamatory/

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2016, 08:45:34 PM »
Incitement is also against TOS. He called on his followers to attack her, so the hundreds (thousands?) of people calling her a n*gger and etc fall on him. It was a legit ban.

Not a big fan of Milo myself, but I've yet to see any evidence that he actually incited his followers to attack her. Do you have any?
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2016, 02:05:50 AM »
Not a big fan of Milo myself, but I've yet to see any evidence that he actually incited his followers to attack her. Do you have any?

He never specifically said "Hey guys go and tell this n*gger what you think of her!" if that's what you're asking. But he started the trolling, RTed her indignation with commentary about how she couldn't handle the hate, and RTed a lot of the abuse sent her way with positive commentary. It was incitement in the same way "You have a nice shop here, be a real shame if something were to happen to it" is a threat.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2016, 10:25:08 AM »
He never specifically said "Hey guys go and tell this n*gger what you think of her!" if that's what you're asking. But he started the trolling, RTed her indignation with commentary about how she couldn't handle the hate, and RTed a lot of the abuse sent her way with positive commentary. It was incitement in the same way "You have a nice shop here, be a real shame if something were to happen to it" is a threat.
So all he had to do was link to her stuff and comment on it and that is incitement?  Cause that is probably all it took.  Kind of a weak point to go after him on. 

Did he use the n-word or did his followers?  Was it just a couple?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2016, 10:27:16 AM »
A few things here.

#6 is for the most part the definition of silencing conservatives or whatever group is the target. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2016, 10:35:00 AM »
what this generally (not always) means is that it lets lefties who violate TOS off the hook but bans righties for equivalent action.

Well, why not. Since we're descending into tribalism, we might as well get used to having different rules reflecting whether you are part of the "correct" tribe.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2016, 01:34:24 PM »
So all he had to do was link to her stuff and comment on it and that is incitement?  Cause that is probably all it took.  Kind of a weak point to go after him on. 

Did he use the n-word or did his followers?  Was it just a couple?

In context "Hey look at this thin skinned person that can't handle hate mail!" is inciting his followers, yes. He knew exactly what was going to happen. And he was delighted when it did.