Author Topic: Greenwood IN Mall shooting  (Read 7632 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Greenwood IN Mall shooting
« Reply #125 on: October 08, 2022, 09:55:32 PM »
So we had a Dicken Drill at an IDPA match today. Not legal IDPA stage so side match type thing. 40 yards off hand standing in a box 10 rounds in 15.30 secs or less at standard IDPA target. I hit 7 out 10 in about 12 seconds. It’s not a bad drill, but would be hard to justify self defense at that range in most circumstances.
I think if most people thought about it when they were running errands, there are number of places they go where 30 to 100 yard ranges are possible.  The odds of the right circumstances happening requiring use a pistol at that distance are pretty small.  Then again, the odds of needs your pistol at all are pretty small for the average person. 

The biggest thing for me is thinking about that extra accuracy requirement at 50 yards helps with shorter ranges as well.  Gives me a standard of accuracy to work towards. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #126 on: October 08, 2022, 10:27:40 PM »
I think if most people thought about it when they were running errands, there are number of places they go where 30 to 100 yard ranges are possible.  The odds of the right circumstances happening requiring use a pistol at that distance are pretty small.  Then again, the odds of needs your pistol at all are pretty small for the average person. 

The biggest thing for me is thinking about that extra accuracy requirement at 50 yards helps with shorter ranges as well.  Gives me a standard of accuracy to work towards.

Absolutely agree with this. It’s why I thought to post about it. I’ve carried pretty much every day for over 25 years. It’s been a handful of times I’ve even considered drawing a firearm. I’ve never needed to. I had mostly forgotten about even practicing with a pistol at this range since the incident originating this thread outside the occasional can I hit that steel plate on the 100 yard range with a pistol thing just for fun. I was happy to see this drill in the match.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2022, 11:55:16 PM »
I rarely practice at more than 15 yards.  At 25, all I can deliver is suppressive fire.  Forty yards, for me, I'd be better off calling 911 and waiting.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2022, 09:40:26 PM »
I have yet to draw during a case when I thought I might "need" to.

Generally a hand in the pocket, and a loud "get the BLEEP away from me" works good enough at the local stop'n'robs...

<I have made friends with a few of the local security folks... they seem to like the display>
Blog under construction

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #129 on: October 10, 2022, 01:50:12 PM »
I rarely practice at more than 15 yards.  At 25, all I can deliver is suppressive fire.  Forty yards, for me, I'd be better off calling 911 and waiting.

The instructors at the Sig Academy no longer practice under 15 yards.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #130 on: October 10, 2022, 02:19:48 PM »
15 yards is probably fine for most practice.  I just like to shoot a few rounds at longer ranges so I have a good idea where that particular gun shoots at range.  A couple of guns I carry occasionally shot pretty high at 50 yards which I didn't expect.

Last weekend, I shot a couple guns I have out for home defense often enough.  I hadn't shot them in at least a few years.  One was probably 5 years.  The FNX-45 had no issues.  The XD45 had a couple of failures to feed.  What struck me was I was shooting more accurately than the last time I remember shooting either gun.  I think the last couple years of being more careful about what I do with each round when practicing has helped me out a bit. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #131 on: October 13, 2022, 08:24:40 PM »

Snobs.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #132 on: October 13, 2022, 08:29:39 PM »
Maybe we won't have to see the repeated video clips of people drawing on a target at arms length. 

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #133 on: October 13, 2022, 08:59:16 PM »
[tinfoil] mode on
That assault weapons bill is to be introduced tomorrow
 [tinfoil] mode off

I hate  [tinfoil] stuff but this getting ridiculous

Edit: Don't take this serious

Correlation does not imply causation but enough 2 + 2s add up after a while.

Guy at Agenda-Free TV just pointed out this happened right at closing time. Seems an odd time to start a mass shooting if you want to maximize victims

But it's a great time to maximize robbery receipts.

ETA Just in on newsTV, a significant shooting event in NC.  Details sketchy at 7:03 PM MDT.
2+2+2 =6

ETA2  See MechAg94 at
https://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=67454.0
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 11:43:59 PM by 230RN »

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #134 on: January 03, 2024, 05:02:11 PM »
Family of one of the injured is suing the mall and the mall's security company saying they should have known of the risk of active shooters and should have known the shooter's backpack seen on security cameras before he entered the mall could have held a "assault" rifle and based on that they should have evacuated the mall.

Family of Greenwood Park Mall Shooting Victim Files Lawsuit
https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/2024/01/03/greenwood-park-mall-2-n78946

The backpack in question

Both girls survived, but the family alleges Simon should have known the risk of active shooters and had better security. The lawsuit claims the shooter walked from his home through the mall's parking lot past "multiple security patrols and video cameras" before entering the mall. The suit says the gunman was carrying "a long, black backpack consistent with those used to tote rifles and other assault weapons" as he walked through the lot and the mall.
The lawsuit claims the defendants did not take action to evacuate shoppers as the suspect entered the mall and spent more than an hour in a bathroom, reportedly preparing for the shooting. The family also claims no security personnel were present in the food court when the shooting occurred and that no Simon employees or security officers checked on the man while he was in the bathroom prior to the shooting.

'My family is hurting' | Father of daughter shot in Greenwood Park Mall shooting explains lawsuit against Simon Property Group, security company
https://www.wthr.com/article/news/local/family-greenwood-park-mall-shooting-victims-sues-simon-property-group-security-company/531-4d66c4f8-9955-4bb7-b551-19f2de68ea8d
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #135 on: January 03, 2024, 05:15:50 PM »
They gonna sue Dickens next?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #136 on: January 03, 2024, 05:21:36 PM »

When I first saw the headline that's what I though it was going to be about.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #137 on: January 03, 2024, 05:23:31 PM »
When I first saw the headline that's what I though it was going to be about.

If anybody ends up suing him, then our society just sucks. This was one of those cases where the good guy did everything right. Including staying under the radar during and after.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #138 on: January 03, 2024, 05:35:03 PM »
If anybody ends up suing him, then our society just sucks. This was one of those cases where the good guy did everything right. Including staying under the radar during and after.

I'm sure there a lawyer or two out there that could come up with something no matter how insane it may sound to us.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 06:17:43 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #139 on: January 03, 2024, 06:17:13 PM »

Of course.  He should have known, and shot BEFORE Sapirman opened fire.

"Should."  The basis of every lawsuit.

Elizabeth Jackson was right.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #140 on: January 03, 2024, 06:44:23 PM »

His pockets are probably not deep enough to make it worthwhile.

Simon Property Group, on the other hand ...
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden