Author Topic: Greenwood IN Mall shooting  (Read 7633 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Greenwood IN Mall shooting
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2022, 05:06:26 PM »
I heard the good guy initially engaged the shooter at 40 or 50 yards across the food court.  I saw a clip of the police complimenting his shooting and tactics.  He apparently opened fire and then started closing the distance.  I assume he managed to hit the guy bad enough he tried to retreat back to the bathroom.  They said he only fired 10 rounds so his accuracy was good enough.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/17/us/indiana-greenwood-park-mall-shooting/index.html
"He engaged the gunman from quite a distance with a handgun -- was very proficient in that, very tactically sound and as he moved to close in on the suspect he was also motioning for people to exit behind him," Ison said. "Many more people would have died last night if not for a responsible armed citizen that took action very quickly within the first two minutes of the shooting."
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2022, 05:07:38 PM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2022, 05:10:46 PM »
Ison explained to WRTV, Dicken’s first shot at the gunman was from 40-50 yards away and it appeared the very first shot hit the gunman.

Dicken was able to hit the gunman with additional rounds.

Dicken was carrying a 9-MM Glock, according to Ison. After confirming the shooter was no longer a threat, Dicken approached mall security and cooperated with officers, according to Ison.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/the-greenwood-mall-shooting-should-end-claims-of-the-danger-of-permitless-concealed-carry/

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2022, 05:14:16 PM »
It is interesting to see the 40 to 50 yards mentioned.  I have seen people on gun forums challenge why anyone would need to shoot that far for carry.  Well, this is a good example.  Not quite the scenario I have heard mentioned but certainly a good one.  I haven't been to Memorial City mall in Houston in quite a while, but I think it is easily 100 yards across that food court.  I heard someone mention just the distance across the main walk ways in a good sized mall can be a pretty good distance for pistol shooting. 

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2022, 07:59:56 PM »
Notes were misread at press conference.
15 seconds not two minutes

Police update timeline, say man took down Greenwood Park Mall shooter in just 15 seconds
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/07/19/police-update-timeline-say-man-took-down-greenwood-park-mall-shooter-in-just-15-seconds/

Also comment says shooter was hit 8 times.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2022, 08:14:01 PM »
I read somewhere that the DA wants to charge the good Samaritan for carrying in the mall.

:facepalm:
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2022, 08:23:21 PM »
I read somewhere that the DA wants to charge the good Samaritan for carrying in the mall.

:facepalm:

Would not surprise me one bit.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2022, 08:30:24 PM »
I don’t believe there is anything the DA could charge the good guy with. Carry was legal under the new carry law. Signs do not carry the weight of law in Indiana. The shooting was as clean as you could ask for.

Unless there is some sort of school in the mall I haven’t heard about …

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2022, 08:33:58 PM »
Deleted, wrong thread
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2022, 08:34:23 PM »
Notes were misread at press conference.
15 seconds not two minutes

Police update timeline, say man took down Greenwood Park Mall shooter in just 15 seconds
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/07/19/police-update-timeline-say-man-took-down-greenwood-park-mall-shooter-in-just-15-seconds/

Also comment says shooter was hit 8 times.

This guy's more Rittenhouse than Rittenhouse. Neither had a permit to carry, or (reportedly) extensive training. Both put down threats, w/o collateral damage, except for gun control narratives. Both great exemplars for constitutional carry.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2022, 09:08:28 PM »
This guy's more Rittenhouse than Rittenhouse. Neither had a permit to carry, or (reportedly) extensive training. Both put down threats, w/o collateral damage, except for gun control narratives. Both great exemplars for constitutional carry.

From photos, this guy looks like the most white bread /works his 40 hours / goes to church on Sunday / gives to charity suburban white boy you could find. Of course the left is going to try to fry him as being worse than the actual shooter.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2022, 09:18:42 PM »
Rittenhouse 3 (2 dead, 1 wounded)
Dicken 1

Be interesting to see if the MSM hounds him like they still do Rittenhouse.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2022, 09:22:31 PM »
I saw an analysis that is food for thought: They were talking OODA loop and how fast this kid was, and that his initial action threw the bad guy back into step two of OODA. That would make sense from a press conference I heard with the chief of police who said the shooter attempted to flee the scene after being engaged, but was put down before he could get behind cover in the bathroom.

I'm thinking most of these shooters don't expect a civilian to do anything in a "gun free zone", and unlike the prep this shooter might have had if he saw uniforms heading his way, the guy in the shorts and t-shirt threw him for a loop.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2022, 09:22:45 PM »
Dicken 1

Dicken is a hero.

Rittenhouse is a "murderer."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2022, 09:26:51 PM »
Also, tangent, this incident is a good reminder for me to stop concentrating so much on three yards and <1 second and to throw a mag or two of accurate fire farther downrange when I'm at the gun club.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2022, 09:27:09 PM »
Dicken 1

Do we know his state of residence? Heaven help the poor lad if it turns out he crossed state lines.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2022, 09:30:24 PM »
I really need to start doing more longer distance practice with handguns. 40 yards is somewhat impressive. I’ve made longer shots, but not generally under any pressure. Of course I haven’t had 22 year old eyes in almost 30 years, those distances seem to be getting a little harder every year; but still.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2022, 09:36:24 PM »
Do we know his state of residence? Heaven help the poor lad if it turns out he crossed state lines.

Seymour, Indiana. Halfway between Louisville and Indianapolis up I-65. Not too far from me in SE Louisville
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2022, 10:02:19 PM »
Seymour, Indiana. Halfway between Louisville and Indianapolis up I-65. Not too far from me in SE Louisville

He crossed county lines!!!
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2022, 12:13:56 AM »
Also, tangent, this incident is a good reminder for me to stop concentrating so much on three yards and <1 second and to throw a mag or two of accurate fire farther downrange when I'm at the gun club.

When I could shoot many nights a week I always closed the session with a nra 25 yard pistol target and tried to concentrate past all the quick draw McGraw stuff I had been doing. Catch myself cheating on my flinch mostly. For really long range you need to practice with your carry ammo. Me and a glock I would always have to hold under the 75 and 100 yard steel just with where I had the sights set, many people make the mistake of over compensating and shooting high at long range.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2022, 12:44:44 AM »
Dicken 1

Rittenhouse had a rifle.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2022, 01:35:24 AM »
I really need to start doing more longer distance practice with handguns. 40 yards is somewhat impressive. I’ve made longer shots, but not generally under any pressure. Of course I haven’t had 22 year old eyes in almost 30 years, those distances seem to be getting a little harder every year; but still.

The indoor range where I shoot only goes to 25 yards. Yes, scoring a hit on his first shot (as was reported) at 40 to 50 yards is VERY impressive. I don't think I would have taken that shot. If I had, I'd rate my likelihood of a hit at 25% or lower.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2022, 07:08:47 AM »
From photos, this guy looks like the most white bread /works his 40 hours / goes to church on Sunday / gives to charity suburban white boy you could find. Of course the left is going to try to fry him as being worse than the actual shooter.

Liberals reading that description...

HE MUST BE DESTROYED!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2022, 07:11:52 AM »
I've seen somewhere that he supposedly braced himself on a trash can and used it as a shooting rest and that's how he was able to get his hits so quickly and accurately.

That means we need to pass a law banning trash cans.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2022, 07:27:53 AM »
If I had, I'd rate my likelihood of a hit at 25% or lower.

Apparently this kid had an 80% hit rate. That's better than a lot of the cop stories I have read with the cops shooting at CQB ranges. If I were on the other side of the argument, I would put lefty tinfoil on my head and call it a setup to put "good guy with a gun" in a positive light. You couldn't ask for a better example of it than this.  =)