Author Topic: Greenwood IN Mall shooting  (Read 7743 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Greenwood IN Mall shooting
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2022, 08:14:03 AM »
Apparently this kid had an 80% hit rate. That's better than a lot of the cop stories I have read with the cops shooting at CQB ranges. If I were on the other side of the argument, I would put lefty tinfoil on my head and call it a setup to put "good guy with a gun" in a positive light. You couldn't ask for a better example of it than this.  =)

y u tryin 2 b like me?

https://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=66995.msg1364426#msg1364426
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2022, 08:20:17 AM »
Note to self: Go to Sams, buy lots of foil. Call Cardinal aluminum, order industrial roll.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2022, 08:44:12 AM »
I'll usually close out my shooting day with a magazine at 100yds.  Freehand I'm at like 40% hit, resting on a table or something like 70%ish.  Trigger control becomes very important at that.  For my rig, 100yd hold over is put the dot right on the neck of the silhouette.

That guy made some pretty nice shots under pressure.  I read that he rested it on a trash can for the initial shots.  Good use of bracing, and concealment.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2022, 01:05:12 PM »
On another forum I saw a picture of the bad guy kitted out to fight, and then another shot of him ... well ... shot.

Dude was a scarecrow.  Not a big target at all.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2022, 01:13:19 PM »
On another forum I saw a picture of the bad guy kitted out to fight, and then another shot of him ... well ... shot.

Dude was a scarecrow.  Not a big target at all.

Seems like in all the recent "mass" shootings the shooters have been extremely skinny by American standards at least. The Highland Park shooter was a toothpick
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2022, 01:46:02 PM »
A lot of progressive liberals STILL think that what Rittenhouse did was shoot up a BLM march...

Seriously.

As for the shooter's behavior?

Here's an old blog, but it seems to work true...

https://dailyanarchist.com/2012/07/31/auditing-shooting-rampage-statistics/
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2022, 04:21:45 PM »
A lot of progressive liberals STILL think that what Rittenhouse did was shoot up a BLM march...

Seriously.

As for the shooter's behavior?

Here's an old blog, but it seems to work true...

Interesting, thanks.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2022, 04:24:27 PM »

According to the above link
Note: The article at the link is dated 2012

The average number of people killed in mass shootings when stopped by police is 14.29

The average number of people killed in a mass shooting when stopped by a civilian is 2.33
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2022, 04:26:02 PM »
When seconds count, police are sanitizing their hands.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2022, 04:39:27 PM »
Have you ever heard a shot fired in a public place that isn't a range?

I have. It was at a gun show. You coulda heard a pin drop except for the noise of neck cracks as the ol' boys swivelnecked looking for what happened.

Some idjit bounced one off the floor into his own leg.
Blog under construction

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2022, 07:34:13 PM »
Have you ever heard a shot fired in a public place that isn't a range?

I have. It was at a gun show. You coulda heard a pin drop except for the noise of neck cracks as the ol' boys swivelnecked looking for what happened.

Some idjit bounced one off the floor into his own leg.

Not in public but in the field the sound of a round wizzing by inches from your nugget will never be forgotten.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2022, 10:11:04 AM »
I notice that Youtube gun channels are filling up with videos of the "Dickens Drill" - 10 rounds, 40 yards, <15 seconds.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2022, 10:29:45 AM »
Went and shot a few pistols at 50 yards yesterday.  Nothing to write home about, but I could put rounds on a silhouette.  I was deliberately not trying to do slow aimed fire.  More like 1 or 2 rounds per second. 

I guess it is a lesson that all guns are different.  My Arex pistols were both shooting high at 50 yards.  I would need to make a point to aim at the belly button to insure body hits.  Never noticed them shooting high at 25 yards or less. 

An HK and a 1911 were on target.  The 1911 was accurate enough it made me think about carrying that again. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 01:49:12 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2022, 10:40:55 AM »
Went and shot a few pistols at 50 yards yesterday.  Nothing to write home about, but I could put rounds on a silhouette.  I was deliberately not trying to do slow aimed fire.  More like 1 or 2 rounds per second. 

I guess it is a lesson that all guns are different.  My Arex pistols were both shooting high at 50 yards.  I would need to make a point to aim at the belly button to insure body hits.  Never noticed them shooting high at 25 rounds or less. 

An HK and a 1911 were on target.  The 1911 was accurate enough it made me think about carrying that again.

And it's amazing sometimes how much different ammo can effect your group placement at 7 yards let alone 40
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2022, 02:15:06 PM »
This showed up in my Book of Faces feed.  Dave Spaulding, Handgun Combatives.

Additional info from the Indiana Mall shooting from a law enforcement friend living in the area...

"Got some info from a Simon Properties guy who has watched the Greenwood mall active shooter attack video footage. He doesn't think about the details like we do, but I confirmed a few things thru him.

The distance at which Eli Dickens fired was 43 yards, according to the computerized AI video system there in the mall. The system is accurate to within ten feet.

Eli was up out of his chair within seconds and engaged with the shooter.

Eli fired from around the side of a flat-topped, squared-sided trash bin next to a floor-to-ceiling column or pillar there inside the building. He was shooting from what we'd refer to as a "strong-side barricade" position. Using the side of the bin to stabilize his grip and weapon. The guy told me it looked more like he was crouched there as opposed to kneeling.

It appears Eli made a kill shot with the first round he fired based on the suspect's reaction. His second round was a hit also. The active shooter simply wilted after being shot and showed no interest in doing anything other than getting back into the men's restroom door. The active shooter never fired at Eli, never even swung his gun toward him. It appears that he wasn't expecting anyone else to have a gun.

After the active shooter collapsed, he kept moving, and Eli continued to fire until the target's movements halted. Eli hit with 8 of the 10 shots he fired. It was a blessing that the active shooter collapsed so quickly. It's always easier to hit a stationary target.

There appear to have been bystanders running for the nearby exit door near the confrontation.  I don't understand people running toward or past people who are armed and shooting at someone. But people do strange things when they're under stress.

This part is in no way confirmed, but another security guy at the Greenwood mall said the empty casings from Eli's pistol were marked with Federal Cartridge headstamps.

I find it interesting that the active shooter was psychologically out of the fight pretty much immediately upon being shot. That's largely been the case with active shooter incidents since we've been keeping stats on them in the 1990's. Except, of course, for the ones involving militarized terrorists, like the Inland Empire (California) attack in 2012. I'm thinking of the active shooters involving suspects who are weasel-dick incel civilians like the recent ones in Highland Park and Buffalo."

So, a couple layers of hearsay.  But interesting.

There's also pics of of the deceased perp floating around.

https://www.facebook.com/handguncombatives/posts/6023098774372092
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2022, 02:27:03 PM »
This is also good counter-ammunition against magazine capacity limits.

No one is threatening Eli with use of excessive force for firing 10 rounds.  Everyone is congratulating him on a spectacular hit rate of 80%.  Had this been two shooters or more, Eli's sole magazine would have been insufficient to the task.  An artificial 10rd capacity limit is unreasonable in context that 10 rounds were discharged to safely and confidently neutralize this single threat.  You shoot until the threat is clearly neutralized.  It took Eli 8 hits and 10 rounds to do so.  Fairly certain it would take an NYC cop at least 56 rounds to get the same number of hits.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2022, 02:37:25 PM »
This showed up in my Book of Faces feed.  Dave Spaulding, Handgun Combatives.

There's also pics of of the deceased perp floating around.

WLJ’s link has a dead man photo

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2022, 02:40:01 PM »
Just noticed, looks like he wore his mask in that photo. Good boy.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 02:52:57 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2022, 02:48:22 PM »
Eli is amazing.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2022, 03:02:52 PM »
This is also good counter-ammunition against magazine capacity limits.

No one is threatening Eli with use of excessive force for firing 10 rounds.

Possibly dumb question, but the "10 rounds" got me wondering - he didn't only have a 10 round mag, did he? AFAIK, we don't yet have concrete evidence that he was using a Glock 19, even though that seems to be the popular theory.

Also, as a die hard 1911 fanboi, as much as it pains me, I certainly have to consider the round count in this incident.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2022, 03:08:52 PM »
Eli is amazing.

I think he already has a girlfriend, Pb.

;)
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2022, 03:16:16 PM »
He just wants to date him
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2022, 03:16:39 PM »
Possibly dumb question, but the "10 rounds" got me wondering - he didn't only have a 10 round mag, did he? AFAIK, we don't yet have concrete evidence that he was using a Glock 19, even though that seems to be the popular theory.

Also, as a die hard 1911 fanboi, as much as it pains me, I certainly have to consider the round count in this incident.

I've seen a meme suggesting it was a Springfield Hellcat, but I've also heard G19.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Pb

• friend
« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2022, 06:52:48 PM »
I think he already has a girlfriend, Pb.

;)

:mad: