Author Topic: Earth Hour 2016  (Read 2209 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Earth Hour 2016
« on: March 19, 2016, 07:03:53 PM »
It's today! Nearly missed it.

They want lights off at 2030 your local time. You know what to do.  >:D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

birdman

• friend
Re: Earth Hour 2016
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 07:17:24 PM »
It's today! Nearly missed it.

They want lights off at 2030 your local time. You know what to do.  >:D

Damn, and it was Tuesday when I did my "turn on every possible light for 5hrs to check what max lighting electrical load is" test*...darn

*2.8 (+/-0.2)kW.  Which given that there are literally no incandescent bulbs (all LED except the 20 T8 tubes in the lab) in the house should tell you how much light my home can throw :)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 08:09:55 PM »
so i guess I should start turning on lights, right? To bad the fridge is outside, I could have plugged it back in and run it for an hour without the door.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 08:15:59 PM »
so i guess I should start turning on lights, right? To bad the fridge is outside, I could have plugged it back in and run it for an hour without the door.

What, you have never heard of extension cords?

:)

bob

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 08:19:22 PM »
What, you have never heard of extension cords?

:)

bob

One of the major reasons that I don't buy into the whole "save the earth" thingy is because I'm lazy.

The tree huggers can just be thankful tonight that my laziness occasionally benefits them.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 10:39:11 PM »
Many of the liberal European cities/towns have cancelled Earth Hour festivities.  Some imposed curfews to clear the streets.

Seems there was some worry about sexual assaults and strong-arm robberies.  A few of  the localities even mentioned the specific socioeconomic and ethnic groups they were concerned about getting out of hand.

"There are bad men out there.  Run away and hide!"

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 11:11:44 PM »
Hm.  Thanks for the heads-up.  2111 here MDT.  Just enough time to run around turning everything on for the remaining 19 minutes.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 11:53:37 PM »

Seems there was some worry about sexual assaults and strong-arm robberies.  A few of  the localities even mentioned the specific socioeconomic and ethnic groups they were concerned about getting out of hand.

Interesting convergence of two progressive ideas, unintended consequences-wise.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 03:31:08 AM »
Many of the liberal European cities/towns have cancelled Earth Hour festivities.  Some imposed curfews to clear the streets.

"There are bad men out there.  Run away and hide!"

stay safe.
Got a source?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 07:07:36 AM »
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/03/18/sweden-earth-hour-blackout-cancelled-because-of-migrant-rape/

http://www.haveeru.com.mv/news/59895

Other mentions from notes from friends were of places in Germany, Greece especially.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 11:25:10 AM »

Other mentions from notes from friends were of places in Germany, Greece especially.

stay safe.

Greece has immigrated to Germany now??
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 11:28:54 AM »
Greece has immigrated to Germany now??

They couldn't pay the rent, and had to move in with Mom.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 11:31:17 AM »

They couldn't pay the rent, and had to move in with Mom.

I thought they had friends and neighbors who were giving them a hand with their finances.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 12:18:01 PM »
Back on topic :P ....

I like Bjorn Lomborg's comments:

While more than a billion people participate by shutting off their lights for an hour — and saving at most the equivalent of China halting its CO emissions for fewer than four minutes — 1.3 billion people across the developing world will continue to live without electricity as they do every other night of the year.

Almost 3 billion people still burn dung, twigs and other traditional fuels indoors to cook and keep warm. These fuels give off noxious fumes that are linked to 4.3 million deaths each year, mostly women and children.

In fact, it was the advent of widespread electrical power that freed us from these harmful practices that still affect large parts of the developing world.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 03:51:09 PM »
Back on topic :P ....

I like Bjorn Lomborg's comments:
Almost 3 billion people still burn dung, twigs and other traditional fuels indoors to cook and keep warm. These fuels give off noxious fumes that are linked to 4.3 million deaths each year, mostly women and children.

But...at least those fuels are renewable!  [popcorn] >:D

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2016, 04:25:35 PM »
One of the major reasons that I don't buy into the whole "save the earth" thingy is because I'm lazy.

The tree huggers can just be thankful tonight that my laziness occasionally benefits them.
So tip it over and burn it at least. Toss a few old tires for good measure.

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.