Author Topic: Feinstein's Letter about Kavanaugh.  (Read 94690 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Feinstein's Letter about Kavanaugh.
« Reply #225 on: September 24, 2018, 05:10:24 PM »
Sen. Flake (R) AZ has stated he intends to vote "present" at the confirmation vote, should it actually be held.

Source? That would be awfully slimy, even for Flake.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #226 on: September 24, 2018, 05:11:02 PM »
Sen. Flake (R) AZ has stated he intends to vote "present" at the confirmation vote, should it actually be held.

Nice to see that he's living up to (or is that down to) his name...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #227 on: September 24, 2018, 05:51:36 PM »
Think this is bad, wait until Trump puts up one of his short list women for a ussc nomination.

Correction, he needs a black woman so we can see all the ugliness.  Wanted, conservative jurist. Minority lesbian female preferred.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #228 on: September 24, 2018, 06:31:44 PM »
Think this is bad, wait until Trump puts up one of his short list women for a ussc nomination.

Correction, he needs a black woman so we can see all the ugliness.  Wanted, conservative jurist. Minority lesbian female preferred.

Condoleezza. Not so sure about the lesbian part, but otherwise good. Probably more to my liking that Kavanaugh. Technically I don’t think a Justice is required constitionally to be a lawyer or have a law degree. It might be preferable if they read the constitution without a typical lawyerly weasily reading that allows them to find things not written there.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #229 on: September 24, 2018, 06:50:26 PM »
Condoleezza. Not so sure about the lesbian part, but otherwise good. Probably more to my liking that Kavanaugh. Technically I don’t think a Justice is required constitionally to be a lawyer or have a law degree. It might be preferable if they read the constitution without a typical lawyerly weasily reading that allows them to find things not written there.

Actually I forget which one, but I thought one of the women up last time was a much stricter constitutionalist than Kavanaugh. At this point they have me worked up to the point that even though I think Kavanaugh leans more to the Bush side, I feel sorry enough for the guy that I want him to get it just to stick it to these jackasses.

On the other hand, if Kavanaugh has to step down, it could be brilliant to put a much more conservative woman up in his place. I'm wondering if she wouldn't be a shoe-in, because the left will have played out the last minute gotchya ploy with Kavanaugh. If they came up with last minute weird ass accusations about the woman, I think they would lose even moderate dems. It would be entertaining to watch feminist heads explode though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #230 on: September 24, 2018, 06:56:19 PM »
I would be willing to bet that Trump's next appointment will be a woman. 

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #231 on: September 24, 2018, 07:54:47 PM »
I still think when RBG goes do Garland and watch the lefts heads e xplode
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #232 on: September 24, 2018, 08:01:37 PM »
Actually I forget which one, but I thought one of the women up last time was a much stricter constitutionalist than Kavanaugh. At this point they have me worked up to the point that even though I think Kavanaugh leans more to the Bush side, I feel sorry enough for the guy that I want him to get it just to stick it to these jackasses.

On the other hand, if Kavanaugh has to step down, it could be brilliant to put a much more conservative woman up in his place. I'm wondering if she wouldn't be a shoe-in, because the left will have played out the last minute gotchya ploy with Kavanaugh. If they came up with last minute weird ass accusations about the woman, I think they would lose even moderate dems. It would be entertaining to watch feminist heads explode though.

You're probably thinking of Amy Barrett. I don't know about more strictly constitutionalist, probably more religious conservative to an extent. Now as a non-religious libertarian I probably put her in the same realm as Kavanaugh, not excited, but not afraid of her either particularly. I think she had an issue with a religious group she belonged to that probably shouldn't really be that scary, but was different enough it would have led to Dems screaming and hollering as well. Apparently they even had Handmaids as a title for some leaders - not a good image at the moment despite how innocent from the whole liberal fantasy of the Handmaid's Tale being reality going on. Her group also apparently actually has a bit of liberal reputation according to some reports as well. Pro-illegal immigration being an example I read.

I think whomever is advising Trump on SC appointments is not doing a great job, Gorsuch aside. There have to be some more real constitutionalists/originalists out that that aren't the squishy conservative of Kavanaugh or overly religious conservative of Barrett histories out there. Not that I'm that particularly opposed to either personally, especially vs. the alternative if Hillary had been elected. Any of the other Republicans probably would be choosing from the same group of potential Justices.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #233 on: September 24, 2018, 08:29:23 PM »
I think whomever is advising Trump on SC appointments is not doing a great job, Gorsuch aside. There have to be some more real constitutionalists/originalists out that that aren't the squishy conservative of Kavanaugh or overly religious conservative of Barrett histories out there.

I'm thinking Don Willett or Andrew Napolitano.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #234 on: September 24, 2018, 08:34:22 PM »
Source? That would be awfully slimy, even for Flake.

Heard it on Rush Limbaugh's show while driving to the hardware store today.  I sometimes catch short parts of his show when I'm headed somewhere in the truck.  Otherwise, I don't listen to him much anymore.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 09:49:12 AM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #235 on: September 24, 2018, 09:14:18 PM »
Orrin Hatch has had enough.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2018/09/24/it-is-so-on-orrin-hatch-shreds-senate-dems-for-demeaning-senate-and-scotus-with-partisan-games-in-brutal-thread/

Senator Hatch's closing paragraph is essentially verbatim what I wrote to Mitch McConnell about half an hour ago.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #236 on: September 24, 2018, 09:17:00 PM »
All of this over someone I consider to be a thoroughly middle-of-the-road swamp-adjacent good-on-somethings-but-horrible-on-other-things candidate.

I would not care if he pulled out for some other reason as there is a near-endless list of these guys and gals that can be appointed but I find myself actually supporting him because I cannot stomach the left winning this battle.

My sentiments exactly. I didn't think he was the best of Trump's final pick list and I wasn't overjoyed by his nomination. My feelings now are that if the Democrats are this scared of him, we probably need to get him confirmed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #237 on: September 24, 2018, 09:47:15 PM »
My feelings now are that if the Democrats are this scared of him, we probably need to get him confirmed.

I don't think most of them are that scared of him. I think this is 90% "get Trump". Which in many ways is worse because they're destroying what more and more appears to be an innocent man's life just to stick it to another guy. At this point the accusers could sign affidavits that they lied, and Kavanaugh would still have this glued to him for the rest of his life.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #238 on: September 24, 2018, 11:02:09 PM »
I don't think most of them are that scared of him. I think this is 90% "get Trump". Which in many ways is worse because they're destroying what more and more appears to be an innocent man's life just to stick it to another guy. At this point the accusers could sign affidavits that they lied, and Kavanaugh would still have this glued to him for the rest of his life.

I think they would have done this, even if Jeb! were president. There may be some TDS here - there's always TDS - but I think most of it is left-wing rage at the idea of a 5-4 conservative/originalist court, along with their thirst for revenge, since Merrick Garland got dissed.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #239 on: September 24, 2018, 11:20:31 PM »
Kavanaugh was probably seen by the administration as the least controversial of the list.   One that could pick-up a Manchin, a Donnelly and possibly a Heitikamp vote.  One that was acceptable to every R in the Senate.  With 300 opinions, there were ones that some like and some that other liked.  Again, he was going to be Kennedy's replacement, in more ways then one.

Almost all the D's announced that they were going to vote against WHOEVER Trump nominated.   That's not how it's supposed to be done.  It should be to see if they can faithfully follow the Constitution in deciding cases.  Kagan, Sotomayor, Ginsburg, and Breyer were approved, even though everyone knew they would twist and bend it and even make things that that aren't in there.

But Judical Philosphy wasn't a factor in their approval.  Just "Temperment" whatever that means...

I hope that if and when the D's finally do get nominations, there's a line out the capitol building of people with sexual harrassment claims...

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #240 on: September 25, 2018, 01:18:46 AM »
Kavanaugh Speaking On Fox News: I Did Not Have Sexual Relations 'In High School Or For Many Years Thereafter'

No sex until his 20s, or later? That is Mike Pence level misogyny right there. This is worse than we thought!!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #241 on: September 25, 2018, 02:13:23 AM »

I hope that if and when the D's finally do get nominations, there's a line out the capitol building of people with sexual harrassment claims...

Yeah. Right now, I wish that police forces across the country would send the Senate all of their cold cases from the '80s, and demand investigations.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #242 on: September 25, 2018, 07:16:18 AM »
Confirmed it through friends of mine... that's a woman I know.

And no, I never touched her.

Not for lack of trying...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #243 on: September 25, 2018, 09:12:00 AM »
Worth repeating:

MikeB:

...Technically I don’t think a Justice is required constitutionally to be a lawyer or have a law degree. It might be preferable if they read the constitution without a typical lawyerly weaselly reading that allows them to find things not written there.

WISDOM !
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #244 on: September 25, 2018, 09:13:59 AM »
I'm thinking Don Willett or Andrew Napolitano.  =D

Andrew Napolitano things every human being on Earth has right to move to the USA:

https://reason.com/archives/2013/01/31/immigration-and-freedom

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #245 on: September 25, 2018, 09:57:14 AM »
I disagree. Ford isn't your average, Spanish-only illegal alien who doesn't understand (or claims not to) how our system of government works. She's a native-born American citizen with a post-graduate degree. Ever since the Bork debacle, and then Thomas, Americans have had plenty of opportunity and reason to know that the Senate confirms Supreme Court nominations, not the House. If I have a concern that falls under Senate jurisdiction, my congressional representative is not the first person I think of contacting. She's also not the last -- if it's something that concerns the Senate, I have a very short list of names to contact. There are only two names on it ...

I will disagree with your disagreement. Or rather, you can lump me in with the illegal alien non-English speakers who don't know what they're doing. I believe it is a common perspective that you start with your local congressional rep and work your way up from there. They are supposed to be much more accessible and keyed in to the districts they represent. Devin Nunes sends me emails every week letting me know what's going on. I never hear anything from Feinstein or Harris. I know that I can run into him most weekends at the International Agri-Center.

While I will hit the "send" button when the NRA tells me to contact my senators, if I had a problem that I came up with on my own, I would start with my congressman and ask for advice on how to proceed. Though there was that one Summer when he told me to get lost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_wu_v7NvTI

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #246 on: September 25, 2018, 11:31:22 AM »
Democratic Coalition

@TheDemCoalition

.@MichaelAvenatti says the woman, whom he represents, has multiple security clearances and will “literally risk her life’’ by coming forward https://usat.ly/2N2tDNA  #BelieveSurvivors #StopKavanaugh

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #248 on: September 25, 2018, 12:06:04 PM »
Already planting seeds for the extension request. The only surprise is it took them this long. I figured this kind of crap would start happening first thing yesterday morning.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/09/25/kavanaugh-hearing-once-again-in-doubt-as-christine-ford-raises-new-concerns.html

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #249 on: September 25, 2018, 12:32:21 PM »
Already planting seeds for the extension request. The only surprise is it took them this long. I figured this kind of crap would start happening first thing yesterday morning.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/09/25/kavanaugh-hearing-once-again-in-doubt-as-christine-ford-raises-new-concerns.html

Brad
She just doesn't want to actually testify under oath. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge