Author Topic: Feinstein's Letter about Kavanaugh.  (Read 94668 times)

brimic

• friends
Re: Feinstein's Letter about Kavanaugh.
« Reply #275 on: September 26, 2018, 11:49:48 AM »

LUlz

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #276 on: September 26, 2018, 11:57:22 AM »
Doesn't look to me like the 4chan thing with Avenatti really panned out
https://thehill.com/homenews/news/408490-avenatti-releases-clients-identity-allegations-against-kavanaugh
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #277 on: September 26, 2018, 12:08:29 PM »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #278 on: September 26, 2018, 01:14:00 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/26/michael-avenatti-identifies-kavanaugh-accuser-as-julie-swetnick.html

A third person comes forward with sworn allegations regarding drugging of young women and gang rape.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #279 on: September 26, 2018, 01:24:11 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/26/michael-avenatti-identifies-kavanaugh-accuser-as-julie-swetnick.html

A third person comes forward with sworn allegations regarding drugging of young women and gang rape.

"Regarding"

The allegations are that she "became aware" of him doing such things, not that she witnessed or experienced it. And then that he was "present" at a party where she was attacked. Not that he was involved, just that he was present.

At the party. That she doesn't know where it happened. After she had already seen other women get attacked at previous parties, where she's also not sure where they happened.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #280 on: September 26, 2018, 01:30:10 PM »
https://sc.cnbcfm.com/applications/cnbc.com/resources/editorialfiles/2018/09/26/swetnickstatement.pdf

The actual affidavit. Note that she makes statements as to direct observation and witnessing of certain of the allegations, making her a direct witness, not third-hand testimony.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #281 on: September 26, 2018, 03:07:39 PM »
https://sc.cnbcfm.com/applications/cnbc.com/resources/editorialfiles/2018/09/26/swetnickstatement.pdf

The actual affidavit. Note that she makes statements as to direct observation and witnessing of certain of the allegations, making her a direct witness, not third-hand testimony.

Credibility problems, from the New York Times of all places:

Ms. Swetnick grew up in Montgomery County, Md., graduating from Gaithersburg High School in 1980 before attending college at the University of Maryland, according to a résumé for her posted online. Judge Kavanaugh graduated from Georgetown Prep in 1983.

In her statement, Ms. Swetnick wrote that she met Judge Kavanaugh and Mr. Judge in 1980 or 1981 when she was introduced to them at a house party in the Washington area.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/26/us/politics/julie-swetnick-avenatti-kavenaugh.html

From her own statments, she was an adult college student, going to high school parties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw7DmRDODxQ&t=26m40s
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #282 on: September 26, 2018, 03:44:16 PM »
Will no one have a problem with the fact that she quotes multiple instances? It would imply that she saw what she now calls abhorrent behavior, but then continued to go to those same parties. If there were terrible things going on, why did she continue to participate?

If she goes with, "I was just a kid and didn't know better", so was everyone else at the parties. Kind of the two-edged sword when you start digging in to what people did while under the age of majority and then applying it to their adult lives. I guess we shouldn't seal records of crimes committed before 18 anymore either. Lets get everything out there on everybody.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #283 on: September 26, 2018, 03:46:13 PM »
Let me be the first to predict that Judge Kavanaugh will end up withdrawing his nomination for the Court.  Whether the stated reason is 'to spare his family' or 'respect for the President', or whatever, he is going to pull the plug before it actually gets to a vote, which I suspect he would lose, and that would reflect badly upon the President and the Republicans.  This makes me wonder how anyone is going to possibly pass the vetting and nomination in the future. I am reminded of the saying about winning the battle and losing the war.  

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #284 on: September 26, 2018, 03:54:11 PM »
Let me be the first to predict that Judge Kavanaugh will end up withdrawing his nomination for the Court.  Whether the stated reason is 'to spare his family' or 'respect for the President', or whatever, he is going to pull the plug before it actually gets to a vote, which I suspect he would lose, and that would reflect badly upon the President and the Republicans.  This makes me wonder how anyone is going to possibly pass the vetting and nomination in the future. I am reminded of the saying about winning the battle and losing the war.  

Perhaps the President and the Republicans need to be reflected badly upon?  It might encourage them to fight next time.  Kavanaugh didn't volunteer for this, he was drafted.
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #285 on: September 26, 2018, 03:56:44 PM »
Perhaps the President and the Republicans need to be reflected badly upon?  It might encourage them to fight next time.  Kavanaugh didn't volunteer for this, he was drafted.
I think that depends on which Republican Senators have decided they can't vote for his nomination.  IMO, if some of them don't want to do so, O'Connell should name names before the election and tell them he will do so.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #286 on: September 26, 2018, 04:00:11 PM »
For those trying to quash Kavanaugh's nomination:  be careful what you wish for:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/the-on-deck-justice-could-be-a-bigger-dem-problem-than-kavanaugh-kennedy
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #287 on: September 26, 2018, 04:01:57 PM »
^^^I don't know very much about her, and perhaps I should study up.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #288 on: September 26, 2018, 04:02:26 PM »
Ford's polygraph released. A couple of points:

1) She took it in Maryland a week after she wrote Feinstein, so either she spends a lot of time driving around the country, or she flew there.

2) Apparently they let her hand write a statement, then asked her two questions on it. I don't know much about polygraphs, but I thought you had to ask a lot more questions than that to compare to the baseline questions. Which, I'm only assuming they asked baseline questions for calibration, but I'm not counting on anything in this growing fiasco.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2018/09/26/this-is-bad-looks-like-christine-blasey-fords-lawyers-just-torpedoed-her-case-by-releasing-polygraph-results-pics/

At this point, maybe just have Kavanaugh step down, nominate Amy Barrett, and say that there will be no hearings, only a vote, because we believe all women so there is no need to interview Barrett. Done. Find another female strict constitutionalist when Ginsburg steps down and repeat. Thanks Harry Reid.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #289 on: September 26, 2018, 04:04:07 PM »
If he does so, it will be taken as an admission of guilt by the media and many others.  People on the left thought bad things of him before and will continue to do so even if all the accusers suddenly recant and say they lied.  I don't think he gains anything for himself by doing so.  A target was on his back the moment he was nominated.

If this is because a few Republican Senators can't bring themselves to vote for him, nothing he does will change that.  That is something O'Connell and voters need to deal with.  There is no acceptable candidate that Democrats won't defame in order to block their nomination.  I begin to think the only way to avoid this is to increase the majority in the Senate so they are not dependent on a couple of lightweights for enough votes.  

If he is guilty and the accusations start to hit home, the damage is already done anyway.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #290 on: September 26, 2018, 04:07:52 PM »
At this point, maybe just have Kavanaugh step down, nominate Amy Barrett, and say that there will be no hearings, only a vote, because we believe all women so there is no need to interview Barrett. Done. Find another female strict constitutionalist when Ginsburg steps down and repeat. Thanks Harry Reid.

I don't know Amy Barrett so I can't comment on that (sure I can, but I won't)  But I really liked the idea of nominating Dr. Condi Rice.  Maybe DJT Jr. is watching this thread and pass along the idea?
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #291 on: September 26, 2018, 04:10:09 PM »
I don't know Amy Barrett so I can't comment on that (sure I can, but I won't)  But I really liked the idea of nominating Dr. Condi Rice.  Maybe DJT Jr. is watching this thread and pass along the idea?
I don't know much about Condi Rice as far as her Constitutional views. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #292 on: September 26, 2018, 04:16:56 PM »
I don't know much about Condi Rice as far as her Constitutional views. 

I actually believe she's a bit squishier on some things, including the 2nd (despite the stories of her dad) than Barrett. I think I saw after one of the last shootings that Rice said we should consider EBR restrictions.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #293 on: September 26, 2018, 04:17:06 PM »
^^^I think there is good reason why polygraphs are generally inadmissible in court.  I take polygraph results with a railcar of salt.  I have gone to a couple legal seminars on them over the years, and they may have some utility in the national security setting, but haven't some of the FBI/CIA Soviet moles in recent years passed their periodic polygraphs?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #294 on: September 26, 2018, 04:20:32 PM »
^^^I think there is good reason why polygraphs are generally inadmissible in court.  I take polygraph results with a railcar of salt.  I have gone to a couple legal seminars on them over the years, and they may have some utility in the national security setting, but haven't some of the FBI/CIA Soviet moles in recent years passed their periodic polygraphs?
Plus, I heard it was administered in her lawyer's office which isn't exactly independent. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #295 on: September 26, 2018, 04:21:57 PM »

https://youtu.be/uD7n_p7zAqo?t=125

brimic

• friends
« Reply #296 on: September 26, 2018, 04:42:33 PM »
For those trying to quash Kavanaugh's nomination:  be careful what you wish for:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/the-on-deck-justice-could-be-a-bigger-dem-problem-than-kavanaugh-kennedy

That's who I was hoping for before Kavanagh got nominated. As and aside, She looks like she could be my current wife's twin.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #297 on: September 26, 2018, 05:07:55 PM »
After the first two allegations rumors, I'm not sure what would induce me to believe Kavanaugh is guilty of any sexual assault, of any kind, at any time.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #298 on: September 26, 2018, 06:38:20 PM »
https://kprcradio.iheart.com/featured/the-pursuit-of-happiness/content/2018-09-25-friday-morning-vote-scheduled-to-advance-kavanaugh-nomination/

The Senate Judiciary Committee is planning to hold a vote on Friday morning to advance the Supreme Court nomination of Brett Kavanaugh. The vote will come just one day after Thursday's hearing to address a sexual assault allegation levied against Kavanaugh. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/brett-kavanaugh-supreme-court-confirmation-vote-date-christine-blasey-ford-2018-9
I saw a handful of links on google saying the same.  We will see.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #299 on: September 26, 2018, 07:17:00 PM »
... assuming Ford shows up on Thursday.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden