Author Topic: Feinstein's Letter about Kavanaugh.  (Read 94669 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Feinstein's Letter about Kavanaugh.
« Reply #525 on: October 05, 2018, 05:21:05 PM »
http://thefederalist.com/2018/10/05/collins-manchin-announce-support-kavanaugh-paving-way-supreme-court-confirmation/

50 votes pledged so far. I'll believe it when I see it, but that sounds good.

If the GOP would let a nominee get railroaded like this, say goodbye to any Red Wave. Ever.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #526 on: October 05, 2018, 05:25:03 PM »
Feinstein after coming out of the SCIF from reading the FBI report

Maybe the tears are to shore up her support in California? She's facing a challenge from Mr. 30-caliber-clip.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #527 on: October 05, 2018, 05:58:46 PM »
The Daines dude sure is brave. No way I would get on a plane to go vote if I was the deciding vote.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #528 on: October 05, 2018, 06:01:22 PM »
Although I will admit I am disappointed that it's not a tie. Just to see Pence vote. You think you know what autistic screeching sounds like, wait until after that. Next level.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #529 on: October 05, 2018, 07:01:26 PM »
Although I will admit I am disappointed that it's not a tie. Just to see Pence vote. You think you know what autistic screeching sounds like, wait until after that. Next level.

I hadn't even thought about that - all the clueless lefties getting a brutal lesson in Constitution 101. It'd be the worst scandal since the popular vote winner lost the election.  :laugh:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #531 on: October 06, 2018, 08:54:43 AM »
Good article by Tammy Bruce. It was interesting to me that some of the "squishiest" R's are the ones that breathed fire on this. Again, good on them.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tammy-bruce-susan-collins-speech-tells-us-a-lot-about-the-gop-and-america

I do believe that the focal point that fired everyone up was not Kavanaugh himself, but the attack on "innocent until proven guilty". It is such an important part of our country's history that I think it was the last straw for even the moderates. I was certainly surprised by Collins' well done speech. She definitely put herself in the crosshairs. The left's response has been sick.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #532 on: October 06, 2018, 12:09:29 PM »
Good article by Tammy Bruce. It was interesting to me that some of the "squishiest" R's are the ones that breathed fire on this. Again, good on them.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tammy-bruce-susan-collins-speech-tells-us-a-lot-about-the-gop-and-america

I do believe that the focal point that fired everyone up was not Kavanaugh himself, but the attack on "innocent until proven guilty". It is such an important part of our country's history that I think it was the last straw for even the moderates. I was certainly surprised by Collins' well done speech. She definitely put herself in the crosshairs. The left's response has been sick.
I agree that it was and is good commentary by Tammy Bruce about the Collins Senate Speech and how the overall hearings played out.  Innocent until proven guilty is a pillar of our judicial system versus what occurred with the Kavanaugh hearings and the more liberal media like CNN, CNBC, and so forth.

This business about rape and sexual assault are important.  Standards have changed in our society.  I think most men who have dated probably have at least one experience that they remember with some regret.  The remembering is important as it is a guide to future behavior.  I believe that Kavanaugh would remember if he was party to such.  He is that kind of guy.

This whole thing played out because Kavanaugh's judicial bias is to established law and the constitution, and being nominated by President Trump.  I don't think Kavanaugh believes that the Judiciary should be changing the law.  That is what Congress is for.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #533 on: October 06, 2018, 12:20:09 PM »

This whole thing played out because Kavanaugh's judicial bias is to established law and the constitution, and being nominated by President Trump.  I don't think Kavanaugh believes that the Judiciary should be changing the law.  That is what Congress is for.

Paradoxically, the left's view of upholding the law is what they call "legislating from the bench." In fact, their whole problem with Kavanaugh (and any other conservative nominee) is that he probably won't legislate from the bench. The left wants the Supreme Court to fabricate non-existent "rights" out of thin air, while giving their blessing to the passage of innumerable laws that trample on the Constitution.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #534 on: October 06, 2018, 12:31:43 PM »
Yes, legislating from the bench and bypassing Congress entirely.  Federal regulations are another bypassing kind of effort.

A couple of years ago I was talking with my Brother who generally has a progressive tilt politically, that laws (mostly environmental) that have a significant dollar impact should be voted on my Congress versus the current process.  That way Presidents can't decide to change things after the fact and if something is important, Congress should be able to reach a consensus on the issue.  His comment was that nothing would ever happen then....  but I believe if it is important, Congress would act.

It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #535 on: October 06, 2018, 01:10:28 PM »
His comment was that nothing would ever happen then....  but I believe if it is important, Congress would act.

You make it sound almost as if he thinks that's a problem.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #536 on: October 06, 2018, 01:22:13 PM »
Susan Collins (R-ME) gave a 45-minute speech on why she has decided to vote for Kavanaugh -- and she's being villified for it. The full text of her speech in available on-line, so I won't bother to reproduce it. Here's an article about it:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/susan-collins-kavanaugh-speech-diagnoses-americas-deepening-division-235214542.html

Telling statement in the article:

“We are on a dangerous road, and the judicial confirmation wars are going to get a lot worse for our traveling down it,” wrote Benjamin Wittes, editor in chief of Lawfare, in a column for the Atlantic arguing that Kavanaugh should not be confirmed because the preponderance of the evidence, in his mind, “leans toward Ford.

Really? How can any rational person conclude that the "preponderance of evidence" (of which there is, in fact, none) leans toward Ford? Of the people Ford named as witnesses, not one corroborated her story. And Kavanaugh has his daily calendar which, if not proving that he wasn't there, clearly does NOT prove that he was there. Putting aside KDS (Kavanaugh derangement Syndrome), a rational person would have no choice other than to conclude that the preponderance of evidence leans (rather heavily) toward Kavanaugh.

A couple of paragraphs later, we see this:

The losers of this fight are not Democrats or Republicans but the American people, especially minorities and those without power, for whom an independent and trusted judiciary is a crucial bulwark against abuses.

That's the bottom line.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #537 on: October 06, 2018, 01:26:36 PM »

Really? How can any rational person conclude that the "preponderance of evidence" (of which there is, in fact, none) leans toward Ford?

He can if he got his law degree from the same institution as Saul Goodman.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #538 on: October 06, 2018, 02:49:20 PM »
Crybaby leftist assaults pro-Trump/Kavanaugh activist, steals and destroys his property.

The fact that the guy has Cerebral Palsy is not relevant, she would have done it anyway and might not even know he had the condition. It's still unhinged and boorish behavior.

edit: Added link.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 03:33:27 PM by Warren »
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #539 on: October 06, 2018, 03:29:56 PM »
He can if he got his law degree from the same institution as Saul Goodman.

Go University of American Samoa!  Go Land Crabs!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #540 on: October 06, 2018, 03:32:19 PM »
Go University of American Samoa!  Go Land Crabs!

=D

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #541 on: October 06, 2018, 03:49:34 PM »
I agree that it was and is good commentary by Tammy Bruce about the Collins Senate Speech and how the overall hearings played out.  Innocent until proven guilty is a pillar of our judicial system versus what occurred with the Kavanaugh hearings and the more liberal media like CNN, CNBC, and so forth.

This business about rape and sexual assault are important.  Standards have changed in our society.  I think most men who have dated probably have at least one experience that they remember with some regret.  The remembering is important as it is a guide to future behavior.  I believe that Kavanaugh would remember if he was party to such.  He is that kind of guy.

Either Rush or someone else mentioned yesterday that 80% of the leftist agenda that heavily affects our daily lives was enacted via court decisions.  Not sure how they came up with that number, but I have to agree that a lot of the leftist agenda goes through the courts rather than the legislature.  They can't afford to lose leftist power in the SC.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #542 on: October 06, 2018, 03:56:21 PM »
Watching the livestream now,  protesters are showing their asses in the gallery. 
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #543 on: October 06, 2018, 04:00:53 PM »
If I were the emperor, the USSC would have 8 Justice Thomases, and one Justice Ginsburg just for laughs (someone has to write amusing opposing opinions.)  I think Thomas is even more originalist that Scalia was, he just never had to say anything while Scalia was on the court.

The left hates Thomas so much, there was talk of impeaching him a few months ago.  I have no idea why, but I suspect they see him as an "Uncle Tom" traitor because he's black and conservative.

Did Saul really goto University of American Samoa?  I must have missed that in Breaking Bad.  Maybe it was revealed in Better Call Saul.

"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #544 on: October 06, 2018, 04:10:08 PM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #545 on: October 06, 2018, 04:13:07 PM »
If I were the emperor, the USSC would have 8 Justice Thomases, and one Justice Ginsburg just for laughs (someone has to write amusing opposing opinions.)  I think Thomas is even more originalist that Scalia was, he just never had to say anything while Scalia was on the court.

The left hates Thomas so much, there was talk of impeaching him a few months ago.  I have no idea why, but I suspect they see him as an "Uncle Tom" traitor because he's black and conservative.

Did Saul really goto University of American Samoa?  I must have missed that in Breaking Bad.  Maybe it was revealed in Better Call Saul.

Agreed on Thomas. 

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #546 on: October 06, 2018, 04:17:26 PM »
Confirmed!

https://www.apnews.com/8234f0b8a6194d8b89ff79f9b0c94f35/Senate-near-Kavanaugh-approval-after-epic-struggle

Kavanaugh is confirmed: Senate Oks Supreme Court nominee

Holy crap! That explains why I got an alert text from the government telling me I just lost the right to have an abortion!

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #547 on: October 06, 2018, 04:19:03 PM »
You make it sound almost as if he thinks that's a problem.
 I did and that is his belief especially relative to environmental issues.  I have to disagree personally.  

Yes, Brett Kavanaugh is the next Associate Supreme Court justice once he is sworn in.  It has been a rocky road and I can't help but think if he had an inkling of what was going to happen, he would have declined Trump's nomination to the court.  We'll see how the next one goes.  But I feel sure that unless one of them die, the more liberal side of the court will try to wait until there is a Democrat President and hopefully a Democratic majority in the Senate at that point.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #548 on: October 06, 2018, 04:39:53 PM »
Holy crap! That explains why I got an alert text from the government telling me I just lost the right to have an abortion!

They just sent my wife her child-bearing schedule for the next 5 years, "for the furtherance of the White race."

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #549 on: October 06, 2018, 04:41:13 PM »
I'm married to a Latina, so that's likely why I didn't get *that* text.