Author Topic: Illinois carry status?  (Read 26906 times)

Regolith

• friend
Re: Illinois carry status?
« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2013, 03:17:44 AM »
Not that d*** tiny.  It may not be up to texican scale, but this isn't one of those east cost glorified parking lots.  The state's 400 miles end to end.

Texican Scale? Pffft. Texas may be big, but its counties are damn small. Lots and lots of little teeny bitty ones.

My home county is about the size of Connecticut. The county I was born in is ~5,000 square miles bigger than Maryland. Now THOSE are counties.  :P
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2013, 01:54:38 PM »
I'm not eager to test this out, but I wonder how that would work out for a Missourian who crosses over into Madison County while strapped.

If you read what the SA's have written, it clearly states that as long as non-residents have a permit from their home state they are good to go.
Just like previously when non-residents were not required (because they couldn't get them) to have FOID card to transport guns in Illinois.

Why is this so hard to understand??  The FOID Law and its requirements apply ONLY to Illinois residents.  Non-Residents are exempt.   If you don't have an Illinois ID Card or Driver's Licence, it does not apply to you.   

For Example:
http://www.madco-sa.org/documents/2013.06.06.CCWOpinionAndRelease.pdf
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2013, 12:23:40 AM »
Why is this so hard to understand?? 

Because I've never spent much time reading up on Illinois law?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2013, 02:47:39 PM »
Yup.

Most of my Illinois carry law comes from Scout's postings here.   ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2013, 04:49:14 PM »
If you read the text of the bill being discussed in this thread, it covered the FOID vs. home state permit issue.  Reading it takes a couple minutes. A couple minutes to knowledgeably comment on the topic at hand.

I have no sympathy for you lazy people. ;)
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #105 on: June 21, 2013, 05:57:07 PM »
I have no sympathy for bored Alaskans who've got nothing better to do than bone up on Illinois carry law.   :P
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2013, 06:02:22 PM »
I have no sympathy for bored Alaskans who've got nothing better to do than bone up on Illinois carry law.   :P

You can fit ours on a fortune cookie, I have to read something.  =D
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2013, 09:22:44 AM »
You can fit ours on a fortune cookie, I have to read something.  =D

You should read illinois self defense rules.  We've had "stand your ground" since the sixties.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2013, 01:21:02 PM »
You should read illinois self defense rules.  We've had "stand your ground" since the sixties.

Details here Illinoiscarry.com Justifiable Use of Force - IL Statute.  I don't think we have the "anywhere we have a right to be" language, though.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2013, 04:11:51 PM »
Details here Illinoiscarry.com Justifiable Use of Force - IL Statute.  I don't think we have the "anywhere we have a right to be" language, though.

In the absence of a duty to retreat I think that means it effectively exists, unless there is case law to the contrary.

Drew , SYG without RTC is... some other acronym. ;)

I'd keep it quiet lest the legislature decide something must be done for the children. =/

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #110 on: June 24, 2013, 04:56:45 PM »
In the absence of a duty to retreat I think that means it effectively exists, unless there is case law to the contrary.

Drew , SYG without RTC is... some other acronym. ;)

I'd keep it quiet lest the legislature decide something must be done for the children. =/

Its more than that... deadly force is acceptable in any case of 'forcible felony' outside the home, and the case of a felony on ones own property. If I read it right.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #111 on: July 02, 2013, 01:13:02 PM »
And he Vetoed it.

http://illinoissenatedemocrats.com/images/PDFS/HB_0183_Amendatory_Veto.pdf

It remains to be seen if the IL legislature can get it overriden in the next 7 days.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2013, 02:48:17 PM »
http://www.bnd.com/2013/07/02/2680028/quinn-uses-veto-power-to-restrict.html

What in Sam Hill? That's not a veto. That is a drastic rewrite! I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Illinois' governor possesses such a dictatorial power that ties down, gags and rapes the principle of separation of powers.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #113 on: July 02, 2013, 02:57:06 PM »
http://www.bnd.com/2013/07/02/2680028/quinn-uses-veto-power-to-restrict.html

What in Sam Hill? That's not a veto. That is a drastic rewrite! I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Illinois' governor possesses such a dictatorial power that ties down, gags and rapes the principle of separation of powers.

Read scout's link.

Last page says:  With these changes, House Bill 183 will have my approval.  I respectfully request your concurrence.

He vetoed it, but that doesn't mean what he writes in the sides of the bill becomes law (coughcoughPOTUSsigningstatementscoughcough).  He's put proposals to the legislature suggesting what he would approve.

I still thing IL is better off with no legislation on this issue.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #114 on: July 02, 2013, 02:59:34 PM »
Yeah, and everyone's expecting the veto to be overridden.

All this makes me think they know it's inevitable, and they're just dragging it out as far as they can.   Princess Lisa of Madiganistan Our esteemed Atty. General still has her thing up in the air, too.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #115 on: July 02, 2013, 03:00:34 PM »
Read scout's link.

Last page says:  With these changes, House Bill 183 will have my approval.  I respectfully request your concurrence.

He vetoed it, but that doesn't mean what he writes in the sides of the bill becomes law (coughcoughPOTUSsigningstatementscoughcough).  He's put proposals to the legislature suggesting what he would approve.

I still thing IL is better off with no legislation on this issue.

Thank you. I was having a minor conniption here.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #116 on: July 02, 2013, 03:04:16 PM »
  Princess Lisa of Madiganistan Our esteemed Atty. General still has her thing up in the air, too.

A shoulder thing?   :lol:

What's her "thing" in the air? 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #117 on: July 02, 2013, 04:25:53 PM »
A shoulder thing?   :lol:

What's her "thing" in the air? 

She asked for an received an extra month to contemplate an appeal to SCOTUS.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #118 on: July 02, 2013, 05:24:51 PM »
His a link to a news article on Gov Qunn's changes.  He apparently has the legal authority to do this.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/07/02/quinn-changes-illinois-concealed-carry-legislation/

It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #119 on: July 02, 2013, 05:59:42 PM »
Yep, he has amendatory veto power.   So it's now a dog's breakfast as far as what can happen during the override.  Which is pretty much anything.  If they fail to override it, IIRC, then what Quinn wrote becomes law.  They could also override just part(s) of his changes. 

But I would not be surprised if it did not get overwritten.  Madigan had to twist quite a few arms to get this, and there are lots of Anti-gun Democrats in the legislature that may just accept Quinn's changes.

So here's hoping that it fails and we get FOID/Court carry. 

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #120 on: July 02, 2013, 06:15:08 PM »
Yep, he has amendatory veto power.   So it's now a dog's breakfast as far as what can happen during the override.  Which is pretty much anything.  If they fail to override it, IIRC, then what Quinn wrote becomes law.  They could also override just part(s) of his changes. 

But I would not be surprised if it did not get overwritten.  Madigan had to twist quite a few arms to get this, and there are lots of Anti-gun Democrats in the legislature that may just accept Quinn's changes.

So here's hoping that it fails and we get FOID/Court carry. 

I'm going to pick up Fistful's indignation here... WTF is up with being able to amend a bill with unrelated text and veto it, and it becomes law?

That
--Lysander Spooner

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #121 on: July 02, 2013, 10:16:08 PM »
We should have never gone through the charade of passing a bill. Should have stood our ground for everything we wanted.

Will the govs amendments pass muster with the courts?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #122 on: July 02, 2013, 10:17:49 PM »
We should have never gone through the charade of passing a bill. Should have stood our ground for everything we wanted.

Will the govs amendments pass muster with the courts?

That's what I said all along.  HB 1144 (the original carry bill) or nothing.  With nothing being preferable.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #123 on: July 03, 2013, 01:40:35 PM »
The amendatory veto goes back to the bill's sponsor. The sponsor decides motion to concur or override. Concur requires simple majority, override requires super majority. If either fails, the bill dies in totality.

This bill's sponsor, Phelps, has already filed for override. This is now a one way ticket... override or no new law.

The assembly is planned to vote the override July 9th, last day of the deadline. Surely planned this way all along.

For Illinois this is win-win situation:
     If override wins, we get mediocre shall issue law - win.
     If override fails, we get foid-court carry. ANY new law requires super majority because we are now in special session, so that raises the bar for any "no issue" from being passed until next year - win.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #124 on: July 03, 2013, 01:56:57 PM »
??? Planned by the Left to give the impression that they fought to the bitter end?