Author Topic: Illinois carry status?  (Read 26870 times)

drewtam

• friend
Re: Illinois carry status?
« Reply #125 on: July 03, 2013, 03:17:46 PM »
Planned to delay it until the very last second. Yes to resist it to the bitter end.

Also expect the state police to use the full allotted days before issuing the fist license. Again, drag it out and resist in every passive aggressive planned way possible.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #126 on: July 03, 2013, 04:27:39 PM »
Planned to delay it until the very last second. Yes to resist it to the bitter end.

Also expect the state police to use the full allotted days before issuing the fist license. Again, drag it out and resist in every passive aggressive planned way possible.

They're issuing a license to fistful, or is it a fistful of licenses  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #127 on: July 03, 2013, 06:21:03 PM »
I actually have licenses for my fists. Gotta have 'em licensed, since they're deadly weapons.  :cool:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #128 on: July 03, 2013, 07:54:38 PM »
I actually have licenses for my fists. Gotta have 'em licensed, since they're deadly weapons.  :cool:

So you are legal to put your hands in your pockets?  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #129 on: July 03, 2013, 08:52:03 PM »
In the absence of a duty to retreat I think that means it effectively doesn't exist, unless there is case law to the contrary.

Drew , SYG without RTC is... some other acronym. ;)

I'd keep it quiet lest the legislature decide something must be done for the children. =/
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #130 on: July 09, 2013, 08:14:09 AM »
Today is the day.

Last day of the Appeals Court's stay of their ruling.

Scheduled override vote in the House & Senate.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #131 on: July 09, 2013, 08:44:06 AM »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #132 on: July 09, 2013, 02:00:56 PM »
On a vote of 77/31/0, HB183 is declared passed not withstanding the Governor's recommendations.

The veto is overridden in the House.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=39520&#entry523907

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #133 on: July 09, 2013, 02:07:11 PM »
And if anyone missed it, the Ill-i-noise state police put a CCW FAQ on their site yesterday.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/firearms/ccw/ccw-faq.cfm

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #134 on: July 09, 2013, 02:11:02 PM »
And the Illinois house over rode the idiot governors amendatory veto this morning.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #135 on: July 09, 2013, 02:21:10 PM »
And the Illinois house over rode the idiot governors amendatory veto this morning.

The applicant must: •Be at least 21 years of age
•Have a valid FOID card
•Have not been convicted or found guilty in this State or any other state of: ◦A misdemeanor involving the use or threat of physical force or violence to any person within the last 5 years.
◦2 or more violations related to driving while under the influence of alcohol, other drug or drugs, intoxicating compound or compounds, or any combination thereof, within the last 5 years.

•Not be the subject of a pending arrest warrant, prosecution, or proceeding for an offense or action that could lead to disqualification.
•Not have been in a residential or court-ordered treatment for alcoholism, alcohol detoxification, or drug treatment within the last 5 years.
•Submit a completed Concealed Carry License Application.
•Successfully complete 16 hours of firearms training, including classroom and range instruction.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #136 on: July 09, 2013, 02:26:44 PM »
Barely.  They had 91 to pass it originally, and only 77 for the override had they lost 7 more votes, we'd have Court Carry.  Come on Senate, fail to override, and lets go over the cliff !!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #137 on: July 09, 2013, 03:23:47 PM »
Senate overrides. HB183 is now Law.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #138 on: July 09, 2013, 03:32:11 PM »

Congratulations!

Now start putting together the improvement legislation and writing up the easily foreseeable legal challenges.  =D
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #139 on: July 09, 2013, 03:35:05 PM »
yay. so after lots of training and expense and waiting at least 9 months to actually have a permit in my hand,
I will be able to legally carry in a few places. I won't be able to carry in a whole bunch of other places without risking felony arrest.
This law sucks.
I feel like shooting holes in my ISRA membership card.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #140 on: July 09, 2013, 03:41:35 PM »
yay. so after lots of training and expense and waiting at least 9 months to actually have a permit in my hand,
I will be able to legally carry in a few places. I won't be able to carry in a whole bunch of other places without risking felony arrest.
This law sucks.
I feel like shooting holes in my ISRA membership card.

Welcome to every other state in the concealed carry wave circa their first bills.  Pre-emption is in place, super-majorities are not required, no new local restrictions can be placed.  Get busy fixing it, one issue at a time like we all had to.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #141 on: July 09, 2013, 03:56:29 PM »
I wouldn't be so hasty there.  Let's see how this plays out.

The first applications won't be available for 180 days.  Then the ISP has to develop a course of instruction.  (??? how long that will take)  Then they have to certify/approve/bless "Illinois CCW" trainers  (again, ??? how long that will take, if they even bother to certify any trainers.  The ISP being a political animal is VERY anti-gun).  Then you have to take the 16 hour class, send in your application, and ANY police agency (like, oh, I don't know like either the ISP or CPD, maybe?) has 30 days to reject your application.  Should you however, be one with someone clouting for you, you will get your CCW permit 90 days later (And not one second before.)

I'm willing to bet it take at least a year before the first permit is issued.  (If ever.)

Oh while the ISRA didn't write this bill, they should have lobbied against it. 

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #142 on: July 09, 2013, 07:00:22 PM »
I wouldn't be so hasty there.  Let's see how this plays out.

The first applications won't be available for 180 days.  Then the ISP has to develop a course of instruction.  (??? how long that will take)  Then they have to certify/approve/bless "Illinois CCW" trainers  (again, ??? how long that will take, if they even bother to certify any trainers.  The ISP being a political animal is VERY anti-gun).  Then you have to take the 16 hour class, send in your application, and ANY police agency (like, oh, I don't know like either the ISP or CPD, maybe?) has 30 days to reject your application.  Should you however, be one with someone clouting for you, you will get your CCW permit 90 days later (And not one second before.)

I'm willing to bet it take at least a year before the first permit is issued.  (If ever.)

Oh while the ISRA didn't write this bill, they should have lobbied against it. 

I'll go $20 that it doesn't go over the year.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #143 on: July 09, 2013, 07:21:20 PM »
Are the streets running with blood yet?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #144 on: July 09, 2013, 07:42:01 PM »

Still  ;/

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #145 on: July 09, 2013, 08:52:09 PM »

Not here.  Unless you count 2 unsolved murders in 2 months within a half mile.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #146 on: July 10, 2013, 09:06:12 AM »
Not perfect, but a step in the right direction - now there's going to be a way to legally carry a concealed handgun in Illinois WITHOUT being a Chicago alderman!  =D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #147 on: July 10, 2013, 09:32:24 AM »
Not perfect, but a step in the right direction - now there's going to be a way to legally carry a concealed handgun in Illinois WITHOUT being a Chicago alderman!  =D

Not yet.  They tell us there will be.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #148 on: July 10, 2013, 06:29:51 PM »
I'll go $20 that it doesn't go over the year.

I'll cover that.

So how goes the CCW "improvements" in CA, NY, CT, NJ, HI, MD, MA and/or DE ?  They've had CCW laws on the books for years, without things getting better since they are also liberal controlled states like IL, I doubt very much we see any "improvements" in the next 10 years (and possibly longer.)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 11:01:46 PM by scout26 »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #149 on: July 10, 2013, 10:22:59 PM »
The optimistic argument for future improvement:
We had near super majority of votes plus extra in House for our proposed CC law. The full force of the Party leaders cut that super majority to a few votes shy. Now all we need for improvements is a majority vote, not super majority. Counting votes, we should have a strong hand to push through what we want after a year or so. The opposition to Illinois gun owners has been absolutely zero, while supporters show up to the middle of nowhere capital by the thousands. We are organized and we are loud, and it has been moderately effective.

The pessimistic argument for no future improvements:
Scout's pretty much right. The machine powers in this state is the standard for dysfunctional and disgusting. Regardless of the concealed carry, Illinois is a dying state. For example, we only had 1 exploratory hydraulic fracturing drill this year, and the legislature immediately passed the most restrictive regulation in the country. Another example, the company I work for is very publicly moving all of its production out of this state. Manufacturing in Peoria -> Texas, Decatur -> Arkansas, Aurora -> Texas, piece by piece we are moving out. Hopefully, one day I can get that move package out too. This is a State that has public pension burdens written into the Constitution.
Past performance on gun laws indicate a miserable future. Concealed carry only passed because the court forced it, it was not going to happen any other way. I don't expect concealed carry to have any statistical effect on crime, so the crime stats won't persuade the hard hearted.

In balance, I'm not sure what will happen. It could go either way. If we don't have the power to get improvements by simple majority later, then we were never even close to getting what we wanted by super majority, the "cliff" was a myth.