Main Forums > The Mess Hall

Your utensils?

<< < (2/5) > >>

French G.:

--- Quote from: Bogie on July 10, 2022, 11:31:48 PM ---I've considered firing up the milling machine sometime and making a Very Heavy Griddle for stuff like pancakes...

--- End quote ---

I wonder how machined would or wouldn't warp when heated. You really just need to ambush a norwegian, my go to pancake weapon is a lefse grill. https://bethanyhousewares.com/lefse-grills/

Brad Johnson:
We pared back on gadgetry and extra cookware during the Great Household Combining of 2019 (our wedding). We realized most of what we had sat unused 99% of the time so we made an effort to select the best options from each other's sets and sell or donate the remainder.

One thing we use constantly is skillets so we have a pretty good selection, including vintage cast iron courtesy of my grandmother. I prefer my heavy stainless All Clad but SWMBO prefers a non-stick surface so that's what gets used most often. Problem is most of the stuff you see in stores doesn't seem very durable. While the several "Miracle Brand!" non-stick skillets we've owned have all performed well in terms of food release, they all warped quickly. Some started deforming within just a few weeks.

On a lark I bought a Member's Mark non-stick skillet from Sam's to try. It's much thicker material than the FancyPants retail brands and the modest $23 price is certainly attractive. Used heavily for several months and so far we're really pleased. It's plain, like something you'd get from a restaurant supply, but very solid. Heavy gauge aluminum, big chunky rivets, thick grip. Heats evenly and the non-stick coating seems plenty durable, though we are admittedly super careful with any non-stick surface. The 12" worked so well that I bought the 8" and am considering the 14" high-wall for use with big meals.

Brad

Kingcreek:
I would never give up my vintage seasoned cast iron. I have some I use on the grill, some in my camp kit, and some in the modern kitchen.
I also have a big rolled steel wok I bought in a chinese market 45 years ago as another never-give-it-up.

French G.:
Combining households we have crates in the basement of stuff that is too good to give away but that we don't need. 6-7 stockpots, whole box of not regular use cast iron, etc. Then I see two antique cast iron griddles on marketplace for $10 each, more stuff!

Brad Johnson:

--- Quote from: French G. on July 11, 2022, 03:13:16 PM ---Combining households we have crates in the basement of stuff that is too good to give away but that we don't need. 6-7 stockpots, whole box of not regular use cast iron, etc. Then I see two antique cast iron griddles on marketplace for $10 each, more stuff!

--- End quote ---

The nicer stuff we donated to the local Lighthouse for the Blind store. They always need help and do good work. Mediocre stuff went in the garage sale for the flea market crowd to fight over.

Brad

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version