Author Topic: This outta spoil your day....  (Read 7200 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: This outta spoil your day....
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2008, 09:51:16 AM »
Are those guys that Christian group the Westboro Baptist Church?

Uh.  Sort of.   smiley

Actually, T, it wouldn't be out of bounds for someone to describe the WBC as "Christian hate-mongers" or some-such,* the same as they might describe bin Laden as an "Islamic terrorist."  In both cases, you have people that make constant use of religion (even if they're only faking it) as the motive for their actions.  The same cannot be said for McVeigh.  The facts I've seen indicate he was not a religious person, anyway. 

*Even though they are demonstrably not Christian.
  Just as OBL is not a Muslim.  People hijack religion to their own ends and use it for horror.  I would say that OBL is worse than Phelps but the facts are that both took a peaceful religion and hijacked it to further their own ends, both societal and political.

You misunderstand.  OBL and Phelps are either religious, or they pretend to be.  McVeigh didn't seem to be either.  That's why it is misleading to label him a Christian terrorist. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2008, 10:33:47 AM »
If I shoot Osama, people in New York, Los Angeles and Paris will become upset.

If I shoot Phelps, well... Someone, somewhere, might get irritated. Maybe.

Blog under construction

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2008, 06:23:14 PM »
Are those guys that Christian group the Westboro Baptist Church?

Uh.  Sort of.   smiley

Actually, T, it wouldn't be out of bounds for someone to describe the WBC as "Christian hate-mongers" or some-such,* the same as they might describe bin Laden as an "Islamic terrorist."  In both cases, you have people that make constant use of religion (even if they're only faking it) as the motive for their actions.  The same cannot be said for McVeigh.  The facts I've seen indicate he was not a religious person, anyway. 

*Even though they are demonstrably not Christian.
  Just as OBL is not a Muslim.  People hijack religion to their own ends and use it for horror.  I would say that OBL is worse than Phelps but the facts are that both took a peaceful religion and hijacked it to further their own ends, both societal and political.

You misunderstand.  OBL and Phelps are either religious, or they pretend to be.  McVeigh didn't seem to be either.  That's why it is misleading to label him a Christian terrorist. 
  The majority of his views seemed to develop from the Christian Identity movement.  So they are religious in nature.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2008, 06:33:38 PM »
The majority of his views seemed to develop from the Christian Identity movement.  So they are religious in nature. 

I'd like some of the good, old links-and-evidence to support both of those points.

1.  "The majority of his views seemed to develop from the Christian Identity movement."

2.  How religiously-oriented is Christian Identity, anyway? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2008, 07:43:47 PM »
I was skeptical of the value of this thread when I first read it.  Then I realized it is good to remind people that we are involved in a culture war.

Further evidence:

The ultimate leftist put-down of the 2004 election results

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2008, 08:04:42 PM »
That was a great read Silver Bullet.