Author Topic: We are all going to die in the coastal Pacific Northwest  (Read 11486 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: We are all going to die in the coastal Pacific Northwest
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2011, 08:27:14 AM »
That was beautiful...  :'(

:lol:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2011, 09:02:28 AM »
In the graphic novel Superman: Red Son he actually is a commie, it's a what if he landed in Russia instead of America. It's pretty good, and Batmans character = full of win.  =D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

280plus

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2011, 09:41:30 AM »
I like Batman. I just like to bust his Bat Balls every once in a while about the whole suprhero without super powers thing. it's something to do.  [tinfoil]

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2011, 09:59:16 AM »
I've said this before, and I'll say it again, if you really think about, superman is not only a commie (I'll get into that later) but really, an a$$hole.   Let's examine:

We have superman, endowed by his Kryptonian biology and earth's "yellow" (actually white, but that's beside the point) sun with superpowers including: immortality, bulletproof, super speed, super strength, heat vision, cold breath, x-ray vision, and he can fly....basically the ultimate jock.

And his arch nemesis, lux luthor who is...wait for it....smart.  That's it, no superpowers, just smart.  So lex, in true capitalist fashion, decides to make a buck, of course, he's got a weird streak and flexible morals, so his ideas could best be categorized as schemes, at the beginning, but rather than simply instructing lex that it's far easier to make vast piles of money legally if you are beyond genius smart, superman basically foils his plans with ever increasing levels of jock-titude, teaching lex, instead, that super genetic freak jocks will always win (and get the girl) over lowly super smart nerds.  Needless to say, this causes some angst, and he strikes out at his tormentor, superjock, with increasingly outlandish plans, putting the rest of the world into a position as bystanders to "revenge of the nerds 16: nerd strikes back with doomsday weapons".

So it seems the moral of the story is "smart capitalists who thrive on personal responsibility and try to make things happen for themselves will always lose to genetically superior superjocks who want to save everybody, protect the world".   

Needless to say, thinking about that, one can't help but pity lex for not having a good Econ 101 teacher, and look at superman less like "hero of humanity" (odd, given that he is an alien) and more like the big angry guy in revenge of the nerds pummeling the smart kids because they convinced the other retarded jock worshipers to give him their lunch money.

I promise not to duck.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2011, 10:02:25 AM »
I like Batman. I just like to bust his Bat Balls every once in a while about the whole suprhero without super powers thing. it's something to do.  [tinfoil]

Then you should also bust on:
Green lantern (needs the ring)
Green arrow (lame in general, but is still an equipment superhero)
All the watchmen except dr. Manhattan...unless "flexible morality and the ability to take a beating" are powers...and even ozy was just "smart"
Etc.

If you think about it, batman is more like lex luthor (uses smarts to build stuff to defeat true super powered folks) than superman.

Anyway, really, what's wrong with most of Luthor's plans..."innocent victims"?  Really the only thing evil is usually just one step in his larger plan.

For example:
Plan: to make money in real estate by purchasing property that is undervalued, and will be highly valuable if consequences change (e.g. Arizona and CA desert if CA falls into the ocean)
Problem: that will take millions of years
Evil solution: speed up process
The bulk of the plan was okay, except that last part.

One could say the same thing if the plan was:
I'm a green-weenie bliss ninny and think the sea level will rise 5 feet in 10 years
Plan: buy undervalued stuff back from beach, and short the beachfront property, then wait.  
Evil variant: invest heavily in industries that make money off greenhouse gasses to speed along my plan
Effectively the same as the luthor plan, but now (if you truly believe in the rapidity of anthrogenic warming) the evil part was executed by everyone on earth!  We are all helping lex luthor! (played in this movie by china)

birdman

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2011, 10:02:55 AM »

Hey!  Where did you get my prom picture!   >:D

280plus

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2011, 10:41:43 AM »
GIRLS!! Oh, I'm sorry, what were you saying?  >:D

280plus

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2011, 10:43:10 AM »
FTR, I always thought the Green Arrow was a little gay.  ;)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2011, 12:04:18 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2011, 12:13:38 PM »
AKKK!  YOU ARE GONNA DIE!  RUN FOR THE HILLS!  CALL OUT THE NATIONAL GUARD!  EGERMANCY [sic]!  EGERMANCY[sic]!*
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/02/asaska-earthquake-2011-71_n_946264.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk2%7C92223

7.1 quake hits Fox Islands/Aleutian Islands.

Break out the surfboards.

I guess this would be Bush's Fault II?

stay safe.

* bonus internets for anyone who can remember why "EGERMANCY" is the correct spelling.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2011, 07:50:26 PM »
<snip>

Not to mention, Superman is a bit of a wimp (and somewhat dumb) for someone with all those powers.  I mean, you said it yourself; the only thing his arch-nemesis has going for him is smarts.  If Superman weren't dumb as a brick, he'd have grabbed Lex Luthor and tossed him into the sun a long time ago.  Or just broke his neck. Or cut him in half with his laser vision.  Or frozen him with his breath. Or just punched him in the face.  How many times are you going to let a guy kill a bunch of people and come close to killing you (such as in Superman Returns) before you decide to get rid of him for good? Especially when you could destroy the guy without even trying?

I mean, damn.  Batman at least fights villains who are actually his equal.  Superman fights way below his level and still nearly loses.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

birdman

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2011, 11:15:26 PM »
Not to mention, Superman is a bit of a wimp (and somewhat dumb) for someone with all those powers.  I mean, you said it yourself; the only thing his arch-nemesis has going for him is smarts.  If Superman weren't dumb as a brick, he'd have grabbed Lex Luthor and tossed him into the sun a long time ago.  Or just broke his neck. Or cut him in half with his laser vision.  Or frozen him with his breath. Or just punched him in the face.  How many times are you going to let a guy kill a bunch of people and come close to killing you (such as in Superman Returns) before you decide to get rid of him for good? Especially when you could destroy the guy without even trying?

I mean, damn.  Batman at least fights villains who are actually his equal.  Superman fights way below his level and still nearly loses.

In other words...a jock.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2011, 11:29:11 PM »

Actually, while I would argue Batman is the far better hero and role model, Superman represents the United States.

Always fighting far below his full abilities. (Though the comics actually have had some super-powered villians that are close to him in ability and even a few that surpass.)

Always restraining himself in a fight, never using his full powers. Always holding back for fear of hurting the bad guys too much. Worried about collateral damage. (Except for the second fight with Doomsday, but, again, that's the comics.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2011, 03:31:36 AM »
Being Superman on Earth may not be that super.  Read Man of Steel, Woman of Tissue Paper.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2011, 11:14:24 AM »
I always wondered why he had to duck the thrown revolver after standing firm and taking six slugs to the chest.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2011, 07:38:16 PM »
Well, all I got to say is this. the PNW is about to fall into the ocean causing massive loss of life and property. Who you going to call to save the day, Batman or Superman?  :P

birdman

• friend
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2011, 09:38:57 PM »
Well, all I got to say is this. the PNW is about to fall into the ocean causing massive loss of life and property. Who you going to call to save the day, Batman or Superman?  :P

C.  A non-fictional character :)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2011, 09:49:21 PM »
C.  A non-fictional character :)

I disagree. If the PNW is about to fall into the ocean, calling Batman or Superman is going to do just as much good as calling a non-fictional character.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2011, 10:35:07 PM »

Hey!  Where did you get my prom picture!   >:D

You hired hookers?  'Cause that's what they are dressed like, IMO.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2011, 12:46:22 AM »
So are they twins, sisters, or is the one in the back in the long dress the mother?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2011, 07:30:57 AM »
I disagree. If the PNW is about to fall into the ocean, calling Batman or Superman is going to do just as much good as calling a non-fictional character.

Depends, if you bribe me with enough bacon and beer, I'll turn the earthquake machine off.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2011, 08:41:20 AM »
My point exactly.   ;)

=D

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2011, 12:45:47 AM »
The last one was in 1700. They got the exact date and time from the record of the tsunami-in Japan.  Lots of people here have no idea we are a class 4 earthquake zone.  The nisqually quake a few years ago was a 7 or so- I walked out into the field to get away from falling objects and watched the ground roll in swells toward me.  My wife was on her motorcycle =D. I hope to miss the big one.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2011, 04:59:14 AM »
You hired hookers?  'Cause that's what they are dressed like, IMO.

Why would I attend my senior prom with a girl wearing anything longer?

OSNAP. I wouldn't.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner