Author Topic: "Under The Dome" TV series  (Read 7825 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
"Under The Dome" TV series
« on: June 23, 2013, 07:40:41 PM »
ripoff of the Simpsons Movie?
"It's good, though..."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: "Under The Dome" TV series
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 07:44:28 PM »
Based on a book.   No idea where the author got his idea from.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 07:48:49 PM »
Based off a Stephen king book of the same name
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 10:18:40 PM »
ripoff of the Simpsons Movie?

That's the first thought I had when I saw the promo  :lol:

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 10:22:16 PM »
That's the first thought I had when I saw the promo  :lol:

"...Simpson's did it, Simpson's did it!..."
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 12:49:16 AM »
"...Simpson's did it, Simpson's did it!..."

I didn't do it, nobody saw me, you can't prove anything.

Either way I've got the DVR set to record it. I'll give it an episode or two to see if it is worth the time waste.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 01:48:50 AM »
Read the book and loved it. Hopefully this stays true. [popcorn]
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 08:48:40 AM »
From the coming attractions, it looks like a clear dome drops over a small community, trapping everyone inside.

Aside from the Simpsons movie, wasn't this concept used previously? Maybe not with a dome, but isolating a small community has been done before. (Maybe an old episode of The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 08:57:34 AM »
The Truman show.  Except everyone was actors except Truman, and he didn't know there was a dome over the town.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 03:40:42 PM »
difference is, this dome appeared out of nowhere (wasn't dropped in the book, as i recall. just was suddenly there.) and seemed to be supernatural in origin. Disappeared wihtout a trace and no explanation, IIRC
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 05:28:53 PM »
There was some sort of explanation, but I won't reveal it due to spoilers...

Chris

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 05:44:20 PM »
Pm me. I forgot
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 11:11:41 PM »
Didn't suck out loud. I'll give it a few more episodes.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 03:06:11 PM »
There was some sort of explanation, but I won't reveal it due to spoilers...

Chris

Eta kuram na smekh?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 03:08:53 PM »
Eta kuram na smekh?

klaatu barada nikto!
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 07:23:01 PM »
Watched my DVD recording of the pilot this afternoon.
OK.
This has some promise. 
The guy who kidnapped the gal and is keeping her in an old bomb shelter .... he needs a serious attitude adjustment.
And the guy who buried the woman's husband and befriended the wifey .... has some 'splainin' to do.... :lol:
I wonder if the book is worth reading....King can be hit or miss........
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 07:28:36 PM »
I thought it started out alright. I'm willing to keep going with it at this point.

The dude who put his girl in the bomb shelter has some 'splaning to do, too. He and his dad are involved in this mystery up to their little necks.

I will note that it's got one thing very similar to "OMG! Something SUPERBAD happened in a little town in BFE!!" It seems like they've peppered this town with every "type" of person with insane Drama potentional. But I guess without the soap opera aspect, people would get bored.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 07:38:42 PM »
I will note that it's got one thing very similar to "OMG! Something SUPERBAD happened in a little town in BFE!!" It seems like they've peppered this town with every "type" of person with insane Drama potentional. But I guess without the soap opera aspect, people would get bored.

Are there furries?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 07:43:07 PM »
....King can be hit or miss........

Most of King's stories can be summed up with: All/most of the characters die horribly. The ones that don't die horribly are either physically or emotionally scarred for life.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 08:04:43 PM »

Are there furries?

No, but we have a biracial lesbian couple with a teenage daughter trapped in a small flyover country town when they were just driving through, so I'm guessing that will be the start of some story arcs. Oh, and the daughter apparently has some JD style behavior issues and was heading for some kind of camp.

So, there's your obligitory minority presence on this show.

Affermitive action on tv is annoying and preachy.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 10:25:25 PM »
So far it has stayed true to the book.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 11:05:17 PM »
So to learn more about the book version, I went to Wikipedia. The entire story's synopsis is there.

If the television series stays true to the book, then it's really easy to figure out how it's all gonna play out.   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 11:19:17 PM »
Quote from: Wikipedia on the King novel "Under the Dome
Political undertones
Speaking to Time magazine and The New York Times Book Review regarding the novel's politics, King said:

"I was angry about incompetency. Obviously I'm on the left of center. I didn't believe there was justification for going into the war in Iraq. And it just seemed at the time, that in the wake of 9/11, the Bush Administration was like this angry kid walking down the street who couldn't find whoever sucker punched him, and so turned around and punched the first likely suspect. Sometimes the sublimely wrong people can be in power at a time when you really need the right people. I put a lot of that into the book. But when I started I said, "I want to use the Bush-Cheney dynamic for the people who are the leaders of this town." As a result, you have Big Jim Rennie, the villain of the piece. I got to like the other guy, Andy Sanders. He wasn't actively evil, he was just incompetent—which is how I always felt about George W. Bush. I enjoyed taking the Bush-Cheney dynamic and shrinking it to the small-town level. The last administration interested me because of the aura of fundamentalist religion that surrounded it and the rather amazing incompetency of those two top guys. I thought there is something blackly humorous in it. So in a sense, Under the Dome is an apocalyptic version of The Peter Principle."

Oh just fluffing fantastic -- it has POLITICAL UNDERTONES!! :facepalm:

I wonder if Steven King has any reservations about Obama's ... "competency."    [tinfoil]

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 11:19:45 PM »
Affermitive action on tv is annoying and preachy.

Yes, but we will all learn an important lesson.  :angel:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 11:25:18 PM »
The More You Knowâ„¢
"It's good, though..."