Author Topic: Coyote attacks on dogs on the rise in Denver neighborhood  (Read 12803 times)

fifth_column

• friend
Re: Coyote attacks on dogs on the rise in Denver neighborhood
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2014, 04:16:14 PM »
East coast yotes are odd too. Bigger for one. Bolder

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There are also coyote/wolf hybrids.  Coywolves are larger than coyotes, and cooperate better.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2014, 04:26:32 PM »
There are also coyote/wolf hybrids.  Coywolves are larger than coyotes, and cooperate better.

Yup thats what we have.

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »
What about wereyotes  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2014, 04:47:06 PM »
That would be that one in a million chance.

Were they coyotes or coy-dogs. Coy-dogs are a whole different animal in behavior.

They were coyotes, by all reports. There were witnesses.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

• friends
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2014, 05:27:22 PM »
They were coyotes, by all reports. There were witnesses.
Iirc they killed and examined at least one of the yotes

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2014, 06:54:53 PM »
Iirc they killed and examined at least one of the yotes

Three according to wiki. (that were in the attack, a couple extra were killed)  They were yotes.

The coyotes we have down here are much more brazen than the ones I met (or didn't) out west.  Less predation maybe?

• friends
Re:
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2014, 07:29:33 PM »
That's my guess too. We declared war on em here they got shy again.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2014, 07:31:26 PM »
An interesting thing to point out is that being Denver, there is a high likelihood that there are mountain lions just as close by.

Well there was a report of one prowling around a local school a couple of years ago, and right around then I found some tracks in the snow which weren't doggy-type tracks (no claws showing)>

Haven't seen or heard of any evidence of mountain lions since, but speaking of sneaky, from what I heard, they're pretty shy.

However, a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday some visitors to one of our residents had a medium dog running around loose and I saw it wander into the untended pasture with lots of high grass and weeds. 

Saw it from my balcony in the AM.  I was motivated to go out to warn them, but didn't get a chance.

By PM, go-home time, they were out there calling for it for anhour or two.  Dog's name was Andy.

They were back Sunday, scouting all over the place, still calling for it.

Don't know what the final upshot was, but I have strong suspicions that Andy met his end. 

Terry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2014, 07:33:52 PM »
I see coyotes at least a few times a week on the family farm. The neighbor said they just killed the last of his pygmy goats. He said they don't seem to bother his sheep for some reason. They also stay well clear of the emu.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

• friends
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2014, 07:54:04 PM »
Lost a hen last week . Looking for a donkey or pony to take care of biz.or maybe a lama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2014, 07:56:21 PM »
Lost a hen last week . Looking for a donkey or pony to take care of biz.or maybe a lama

Yeah, this neighbor has three lamas too, and they also seem to be coyote resistant.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

• friends
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2014, 08:13:30 PM »
Yeah, this neighbor has three lamas too, and they also seem to be coyote resistant.
My pony made coyotes flat. I mean identify through dna mashed

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2014, 08:41:48 PM »
Makes me wonder if someone makes a walking stick with a brass end cap that a spear point can be added to easily.  I know about the self defense canes.  Yes, a gun would be better, but a good walking stick is a good backup.

a big stick for wacking would also be good if the coyote's had a hold of something you didn't want to shoot, like your dog. Use the stick to beat it off and then blammo.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2014, 08:43:10 PM »

check your pm.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2014, 11:24:31 PM »
We've had 'em walk through the backyard, past the house, across the front yard then cross the road - at 4:00pm.  Two different 'yotes have stood at the back barbwire fence (~75 yards from the house) in the afternoon while the 30# dog & I walked to within ~20 yards of them before taking off.  Took the dog out one night about midnight, two of them came walking into the front yard less than 20 yards from the front porch just as the dog came back onto the porch.  One stood there looking at me (across the sights of the .357) for a few minutes while the other one kept on walking, then circled around through the brush to come back alongside the one standing; then they just walked off.  I let them go 'cause I didn't want to dig a hole the next day.

A few weeks later, while sitting in the back yard after dark, a half dozen of them gathered in the yard, then headed out.  That finally convinced SWMBO that having a shotgun loaded with slugs next to the back door isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2014, 11:24:39 PM »
I hear them a lot, and find their tracks and scat, but hardly ever actually see them unless I'm out very early in the morning. Bit shy in these parts.

A lot of farmers around here get llamas to protect their goats and sheep from coyotes. From what I understand, if you get one male llama and keep them with your herd, they'll bond with that herd and defend it. If you have more than one llama, they'll ignore the other animals and only hang out with and defend themselves.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2014, 11:33:16 PM »
Cows kill more people annually then coyotes do, but you don't hear about "I'm going to shoot that cow if it comes near my house".

Deer are more deadly than coyotes.

http://list25.com/25-animals-responsible-killing-humans/
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2014, 11:49:56 PM »
With my nocturnal schedule I see 'yotes pretty regularly, probably a couple a week. Last cougar encounter though was several months ago at the VFW. I'm no longer on their menu, too old.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2014, 05:38:33 AM »
Cows kill more people annually then coyotes do, but you don't hear about "I'm going to shoot that cow if it comes near my house".

Deer are more deadly than coyotes.

http://list25.com/25-animals-responsible-killing-humans/
That's because we don't need a reason to kill a cow or a deer. They are just plain tasty.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2014, 08:14:54 AM »
Here in Dupage and Cook counties (think Chicago) we're thick with coyotes.

I ride single track early in the mornings and see them frequently. Also around late afternoon/dusk you'll see them. We have a lot of greenways along rivers, creeks and canals not to mention an inordinate amount of train tracks. All of those give them a thoroughfare to get from one forest preserve/golf course to the next. 

Increasingly over the years they've become bolder. I've been within 15 feet on multiple occasions while riding and they've just looked at me and sauntered off.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2014, 08:37:51 AM »
You also have deer in Chicago.  A friend of mine was running on one of the greenways and saw a deer.  She ran right by the deer, just a few feet away, and the deer didn't even flinch.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2014, 08:47:07 AM »
You also have deer in Chicago.  A friend of mine was running on one of the greenways and saw a deer.  She ran right by the deer, just a few feet away, and the deer didn't even flinch.

We have so many deer that they are quietly culled from the forest preserves every fall.

Only those of us who regularly use the preserves see when they close them down at night for the paid hunters. I suspect they have a rather extensive baiting program so they can have safe lanes of fire and higher success rates.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2014, 09:29:54 AM »

I hit a deer on a bike in college, I got to experience Newton's first law. I'm just glad I landed on sand instead of the paved trail I was riding on.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2014, 10:21:19 AM »
First month I had my current bike I hit a doe. She crossed in front of me right to left and I clipped her back hooves with the highway bars on the left side.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2014, 10:34:20 AM »
I hit a deer on a bike in college, I got to experience Newton's first law. I'm just glad I landed on sand instead of the paved trail I was riding on.

A guy I used to bike with hit a deer while doing 25+ mph on an expensive carbon bike.  He was pretty banged up, the bike was trashed, and I think the deer died as well.

Chris