Author Topic: Time to write "15" on my next 25 checks.  (Read 1636 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Time to write "15" on my next 25 checks.
« on: December 31, 2014, 09:30:54 PM »
A couple of years ago I discovered that going ahead and writing 15* in the date line on my next 25 checks avoided the problem of writing "14" out of habit until March.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Terry, 230RN

*Or for the appropriate year.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:41:02 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Time to write "15" on my next 25 checks.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 09:42:59 PM »
What's a check?

(OK, I do have a checkbook. Even write a few checks per year...but it's becoming increasingly irrelevant these days, especially since many retailers are reluctant to take them. Pretty much only write them for my rent and at my FFL dealer, because he only takes cash or checks)
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 10:13:30 PM »
What's a check?

(OK, I do have a checkbook. Even write a few checks per year...but it's becoming increasingly irrelevant these days, especially since many retailers are reluctant to take them. Pretty much only write them for my rent and at my FFL dealer, because he only takes cash or checks)

Beat me to it!  =D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 10:51:47 PM by Sergeant Bob »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 10:22:23 PM »
A couple of years ago I discovered that going ahead and writing 15* in the date line on my next 25 checks avoided the problem of writing "14" out of habit until March.

My problem is that at my current check writing pace that 25 checks would get me into 2017.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 02:57:16 AM »
I don't think I write even five checks a year any more.  Almost everything is debit card, credit card or online payments.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 03:34:43 AM »
I transitioned to mostly-online payments a couple years ago. I write one check a month now. With three exceptions everything else is paid through my credit card or by direct draft. No auto-draft, though. I log on to each account and hit the Pay button (jotting down the transaction number, just in case.) It's a HUGE time savings, not to mention ten or fifteen bucks a month not blown on postage stamps.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 04:47:16 AM »
No checkbook here for several years. I am usually really bad with the dates though. Last year I made zero mistakes until September though, and I don't remember it being a date, I think it was a timesheet work code from the previous year. Why it was still in my brain I do not know. In an important new year's tradition though I did save a 2014 timesheet, I will slip it into a co-worker's stack in a month or so.  >:D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 10:47:59 PM »
I wrote two checks last year...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 11:00:11 PM »
I still have to write three checks a month to entitles like the gardener at my rentals, who will only take cash or checks. I also choose to write checks for my property taxes because I refuse to pay their "convenience charge" to pay my taxes via credit card.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 12:29:11 AM »
I still keep a checkbook. All purchases go into it.  I don't write a ton of checks, but my yard guy doesn't take the card, and I'm not leaving cash under the door mat for him....
Most bills get billpay though.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 10:22:17 AM »

I keep thinking I should get checks on the current account some day.  Would be handy to just be able to hand the landlord a couple at a time, since he only goes to his bank once a month anyway.