Author Topic: A very minor aggravation.  (Read 2219 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
A very minor aggravation.
« on: June 09, 2018, 05:50:47 PM »
Compared to all the bad, horrible and evil things that go on in the world this doen't even rate as a real problem.

However it is a bit bothersome.

I'm annoyed when a business or strip-mall or wherever re-stripes it parking lot to squeeze in a few more spots.

Just stop it. You get a few more spots but your customers get a few more door dings and a harder time getting in and out.

Enough.

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: A very minor aggravation.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 06:33:27 PM »
^^^^

There are some places I won't even go because of that, especially when I am out and about with the F350.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 06:37:52 PM »
I hate that too. Back when I lived in Santa Barbara, there were some lots where parking perfectly left me a couple of inches on either line. Seemed like they were making everything Prius sized. Where I am now, they're actually pretty luxurious in most places.

In CA, they seem to be doing it with freeway lanes as well in some places.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 08:16:31 PM »
Around here the trend seems to be "pretty" parking lot's with islands with grass and trees and such. The issue comes up because they end up being "pretty" at the expense of logical traffic flow.

Dad and I refer to them as the Parking Lots From Hell.

Those and the stupid angled parking lots with one way lanes.  ;/
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 08:24:55 PM »
Parking at a Costco that I frequent.  This is how lines should be painted!

(Snip from Google Maps)
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 08:26:55 PM »
^ Charlottesvillians would still end up parked in two spots.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 08:27:47 PM »
^ Charlottesvillians would still end up parked in two spots.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 08:47:09 PM »
We have a regional supermarket chain that went the other way, adding a bit of width to each space. It's refreshing.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 09:24:19 PM »
Around here the trend seems to be "pretty" parking lot's with islands with grass and trees and such. The issue comes up because they end up being "pretty" at the expense of logical traffic flow.

Dad and I refer to them as the Parking Lots From Hell.

That's usually a busybody municipal  government. They will stipulate a certain square footage of "green space" or X number of trees before they'll approve building permits and zoning.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 09:53:15 PM »
That's usually a busybody municipal  government. They will stipulate a certain square footage of "green space" or X number of trees before they'll approve building permits and zoning.

They might also require a minimum number of spaces. Or more handicapped spaces. It could be the business making the decision, or city hall.

And if they didn't have enough spaces, people would complain about that, too.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 10:50:54 PM »

Those make it easier for people to pull in and out, and you're not as blind, when you back out of the space.

All that being said, I usually look for a pull-through spot, which those kinds of lots aren't really too good for.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 10:53:15 PM »
I'm disabled and gimpy as hell, so is my wife, Park over the line or too close and we may accidentally stumble into your vehicle, repeatedly, as we make our way alongside it to get into our vehicle, @$$h0|3...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 09:52:48 AM »
Warren said,

"Compared to all the bad, horrible and evil things that go on in the world this doesn't even rate as a real problem."

There are enough of  those bad, terrible things in the world that I have zero desire to watch horror movies and the like except for Svengoolie's show.

However, I'll only be totally happy when...

(A) They put that little red string back in Band-Aid packages.

(B) They design plastic containers that don't get top heavy as product is used.  For all the disadvantages of glass, this is not much of a problem with glass containers, and while we might run out of petroleum to make plastics, we'll never run out of sand to make glass.

(C) They post the penalties for misuse of handicapped parking spaces right on the handicapped signposts.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 01:37:48 PM »

They might also require a minimum number of spaces. Or more handicapped spaces. It could be the business making the decision, or city hall.

And if they didn't have enough spaces, people would complain about that, too.

The ADA stipulates a minimum number of handicapped parking spaces as a ratio based on the total number of spaces in the lot. Most states and municipalities either reference the ADA requirement or mirror it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 11:44:13 PM »
I've been going to the OTB in Oakbrook to bet on the Triple Crown races.  Whoever painted the spaces had been inside far too long and must have lost their asses.  Spaces vary from about 4 ft wide to just barely large enough to park a normal sized car.   All those small spaces have a sign that read "Small cars only".  Like half the clientele of an OTB drive SMART Cars ??  If they just painted them normal size they'd have made 6-10 fewer spaces, but more people would be able to park and go buy tickets when there are popular races running.

Dumbasses
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 10:04:46 PM »
I would like to add to the micro-complaint list the anti-tampering covers that are now put on bottles of various things.

I'm not opposed to those. Most are fine, they peel right off using the little tag provided. What is slightly irritating is that some providers of whatever it happens to be make these covers impossible to get off without using a knife. And they are so heavily glued in place so that you can only get the middle bit off. The bits on the rim of the mouth ain't coming off no matter what you do.

Again, it's a nothing problem in a world full of nasty crap. Still though...KNOCK IT OFF!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2018, 02:28:56 AM »
I would like to add to the micro-complaint list the anti-tampering covers that are now put on bottles of various things.

I'm not opposed to those. Most are fine, they peel right off using the little tag provided. What is slightly irritating is that some providers of whatever it happens to be make these covers impossible to get off without using a knife. And they are so heavily glued in place so that you can only get the middle bit off. The bits on the rim of the mouth ain't coming off no matter what you do.

Again, it's a nothing problem in a world full of nasty crap. Still though...KNOCK IT OFF!

It helps to slightly warm the edges of the container the seal is on.  Even rubbing my hand or finger around that edge always creates enough frictional warmth to get that seal cleanly and completely removed on my coffee cans.  Just pull slowly.

For small ones, I just poke an X in the seal with a steak knife and fold the corners down.  For really tough ones, there's always detcord or warmish tap water.

In general, it is easy to remove sticky stuff like labels and bumper stickers by warming them.

Terry

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2018, 02:30:25 AM »
It helps to slightly warm the edges of the container the seal is on.  Even rubbing your hand or finger around that edge is often enough frictional warmth to get that seal cleanly and completely removed on my coffee cans.

For really tough small ones, I just poke an X in the seal with a steak knife and fold the corners down.  For really tough  ones there's always detcord or warmish tap water.

In general, it is easy to remove sticky stuff like labels and bumper stickers by warming them.

Terry

Detcord makes things warm, doesn't it?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2018, 02:43:14 AM »
^ Of course.  That's why I added it.  A bead of King Black around the sealed edge would work, too, but more slowly.

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2018, 12:45:19 PM »
I've been going to the OTB in Oakbrook to bet on the Triple Crown races.  Whoever painted the spaces had been inside far too long and must have lost their asses.  Spaces vary from about 4 ft wide to just barely large enough to park a normal sized car.   All those small spaces have a sign that read "Small cars only".  Like half the clientele of an OTB drive SMART Cars ??  If they just painted them normal size they'd have made 6-10 fewer spaces, but more people would be able to park and go buy tickets when there are popular races running.

Dumbasses

I've seen the ones labeled for compact cars. Managed to park a 3/4 ton Dodge in them. Less than an inch from the lines on both sides.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2018, 07:41:55 PM »
A couple of things from today.

So I had an office chair break under me and so I fell backwards and slammed my shoulder, neck and head into my desk.

My wife insisted I go to the hospital to get checked out even though I knew it was going to end in "take ibuprofen and put ice on it" and I was right. Three hours of time wasted. Went to a nice place for lunch though.

On our way to lunch we decide to stop at this kind of crappy thrift store. It's small, not well organized and the people running it have no idea of what should be on their shelves. For example having a pile of 12-15 digital alarm clocks taking up shelf space is pointless. Who is in the market for these, exactly? We all have cell phones now and all cell phones have alarm features that are better than those old clocks. In addition if you want dusty, cobwebbed covered luggage this is the place for you.

At lunch the burgers were great but if you're going to advertise that your tri-tip chili is "amazing" maybe it should be. We had the chili cheese fries and the fries were tastier than the chili. How do you let that happen?   

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 07:51:03 PM »
The *expletive deleted*ing retarded idiot designers around here not only love their tree islands but traffic circles and idiotic stop sign layouts (some two way some four way no rhyme or reason in the same parking lot) plus they like to put up traffic congesting stop signs across four way roads in strip mall complexes

It is infuriating. Few years ago I had to go to the worst offender in the area to see if Cabelas had a rifle dad wanted for christmas. I was in that god forsaken lot for an hour and 45 minutes trying to get out.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2018, 08:02:20 PM »
We have a shopping center here where the geniuses took up space in the lot with hedging (hedgery?) The planters are as long as a parking space and the hedges were taller than most cars. And these were placed along the line of spots that abut the shops so there is no pulling forward, you can only back out. In addition this line of spots was on a main entrance/exit path.

So if you parked in certain spots you could not see cars coming and since it was an entrance/exit there were always cars coming.

It took them years to cut the hedges down. Why they don't get rid of the planters altogether is a mystery. With proper re-striping they could maybe get three new spots. With improper re-striping they could get five or six.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2018, 07:02:56 PM »
Hey, whoever it was that decided that ads should autoplay when you visit a page: Bite me.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2018, 07:07:02 PM »
The *expletive deleted*ing retarded idiot designers around here not only love their tree islands but traffic circles and idiotic stop sign layouts (some two way some four way no rhyme or reason in the same parking lot) plus they like to put up traffic congesting stop signs across four way roads in strip mall complexes

It is infuriating. Few years ago I had to go to the worst offender in the area to see if Cabelas had a rifle dad wanted for christmas. I was in that god forsaken lot for an hour and 45 minutes trying to get out.

You want insane, I give you the I64 exit/entrance at Zions Crossroads, Virginia.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 07:19:54 PM by bluestarlizzard »