Author Topic: Ballistol  (Read 778 times)

grislyatoms

• friends
Ballistol
« on: July 02, 2018, 01:08:16 AM »
Fantastic stuff. Cleaning both my new Remington smoothbore shotgun barrels 28" and 18.5" and getting all of the manufacturing crud off... 1/2 can of CLP Break Free and 2 squirts of Ballistol. Ballistol is the superior product.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

grislyatoms

• friends
Re: Ballistol
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 01:09:30 AM »
Both of those barrels were *filthy* with manufacturing residue.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 02:06:51 AM »
Ordered a can once after hearing a lot about it. Didn't seem to really clean. Went back to my tried and true Hoppe's No. 9.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 02:44:05 AM »
I love it, mainly coming from dealing with black powder.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 09:40:26 AM »
I haven't used Ballistol.  I will have to keep it in mind.  I have been using Slip2000, MPro7, and froglube cleaners.  Mostly MPro7 as it came in a squirt bottle.  All of them are as good or better than Hoppes and don't have the smell.  I haven't had trouble with the bottles leaking like I have with Hoppes. 

I guess gun cleaning methods and tools is something everyone has different opinions on.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 10:19:36 AM »
I like it for rust prevention but I use other products for lubing and cleaning.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 01:39:21 PM »
As far as odor, Ballistol has an almost *meaty* smell. Hard to describe. Favorite odor of any cleaning solvent is easily Break Free Powder Blast. I love that orange scent. HATE the scent of Hoppes. Which is odd, because Grandad usually smelled of Hoppes, pipe tobacco, and seawater, and I *LOVED* that man.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 02:06:07 PM »
A friend of mine swears by Ballistol, never used it myself.
Favorite smell: Birchwood Casey Sheath.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 02:51:47 PM »
You guys are weird.
I appreciate and find the odors of many gun cleaning products pleasant, but favorite scent?
Ribeye over hickory coals tops any gun solvent.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 06:11:25 PM »
. . . Went back to my tried and true Hoppe's No. 9.

Tried and true? Hmmmm . . . I still use Hoppe's, but today's Hoppe's (Ethyl Alcohol, Kerosene, Oleic Acid, Amyl Acetate, Ammonium Hydroxide) is different from yesteryear's Hoppe's, which contained nitrobenzene as well as ammonium oleate, natural saponifiable oil, kerosene, and amyl acetate.  And there may have been other variations in the formula along the way.

BTW, I found the best soap to remove Hoppe's smell from my hands was Remington Sportsman's Soap, which was discontinued quite some time ago. If anyone has a suggestion (other than detcord  ;) ) for removing Hoppe's aroma, let's hear it.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 06:52:57 PM »
We are also Ballistol fans. Had to start ordering it off Amazon since Dad's local sources dried up.

It's also good on leather.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 07:06:34 PM »
Tried and true? Hmmmm . . . I still use Hoppe's, but today's Hoppe's (Ethyl Alcohol, Kerosene, Oleic Acid, Amyl Acetate, Ammonium Hydroxide) is different from yesteryear's Hoppe's, which contained nitrobenzene as well as ammonium oleate, natural saponifiable oil, kerosene, and amyl acetate.  And there may have been other variations in the formula along the way.

BTW, I found the best soap to remove Hoppe's smell from my hands was Remington Sportsman's Soap, which was discontinued quite some time ago. If anyone has a suggestion (other than detcord  ;) ) for removing Hoppe's aroma, let's hear it.

Tried and true for me.
Remove Hoppe's smell? Why would anyone want to do that? I love the smell. =D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 08:51:36 PM »
We are also Ballistol fans. Had to start ordering it off Amazon since Dad's local sources dried up.

It's also good on leather.

That's why I like it, laziness. Come in from the rain, hose entire gun, wood, sling, holster, whatever.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 08:57:22 PM »
You guys are weird.
I appreciate and find the odors of many gun cleaning products pleasant, but favorite scent?
Ribeye over hickory coals tops any gun solvent.

I'm partial to freshly cut hay/grass.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 09:22:21 PM »

*expletive deleted*ing vegans
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 09:33:00 PM »

How does that work for cleaning guns?
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 09:46:03 AM »
Tried and true for me.
Remove Hoppe's smell? Why would anyone want to do that? I love the smell. =D
I agree in part.  Why would anyone want to remove the smell when they can just start with a product that doesn't smell. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

griz

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 12:17:11 PM »
If they invent a cleaner - solvent that smells like bacon I want to buy stock in the company.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2018, 12:37:01 PM »

Phosgene?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2018, 01:59:54 PM »
Phosgene?

No thanks.  I prefer the real thing.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?