Author Topic: Scary sharp!  (Read 6855 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Scary sharp!
« on: July 14, 2010, 12:53:55 AM »
So my wife and I have been working around the house a lot...  Clearing a lot of brush.  Blackberries growing wild in the backyard behind the shed, etc. 

We only had one pair of loppers to cut stuff with, so while Mrs. AD was using those, I was using the "kukri" I have (A Smith & Wesson "Bullseye") to clear through the blackberries, etc.  Managed to beat the hell outta the blade. 

So today I decided to sharpen it back up.  Broke out the dremel to clean up the uglies in the blade itself, and then the Lansky sharpening set. 

After about an hour or so of work, I now have a kukri that's sharp enough to shave with.   

:O

=D =D =D

But I realize now that I need a REAL kukri.  :)
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

taurusowner

Re: Scary sharp!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 01:14:42 AM »
I got a Ka-Bar kukri, and it's a very nice blade.  Great for camping and hiking.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 03:44:32 AM »
Go check Atlanta Cutlery  ( https://www.atlantacutlery.com/c-129-kukris-machetes.aspx ) for all of your kukri needs. The regimental one comes unsharpened, but is fairly easy to sharpen and takes a nice edge. Don't spend the money to get a sharpened one unless you are uncomfortable with sharpening knives.

bob

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 08:22:03 AM »
. . . Broke out the dremel to clean up the uglies in the blade itself, and then the Lansky sharpening set . . .
I do like the Lansky sharpener - as long as your blade is good steel, it does a great job of sharpening all manner of cutlery. (And I've got the bald spots on my forearm - I call them "blade test patches" - to prove it!)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 10:46:29 AM »
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 12:01:56 AM »
Recently I've been reading that site posted by Balog.  After all these years I finally developed an interest in knives. 

I think the lesson to be learned from that site is:  There are Himilayan Import khukuris, and there are Khukuri Like Objects (KLOs).

I decided I want a real khukuri, and I've settled on the 15 inch Ang Khola

http://yhst-7333098713883.stores.yahoo.net/15inchangkhola.html

as my first khukuri.   :cool:

Accept no imitations !   :laugh:

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 12:07:29 AM »
And the Deal of the Day and other specials make it way more affordable.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 12:15:06 AM »
Really want kukri.

Machetes work just fine for now if given a little tlc.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 07:48:51 AM »
Yeah...  I want a HI M-43....  Just need to set aside enough pennies to get it....

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 08:58:52 AM »
Another vote for HI. Oh God the stuff you can wreck with an HI Khukri. The only other medevial implement that cheers me up anywhere near as much is my Glock shovel, sharpened on all edges to ..uh.. hack roots. Yeah, that's it roots!  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 10:54:02 AM »
What is the purpose of the two small knives HI sells with so many of their khukuris ?  I think one is called the karda ?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 11:20:28 AM »
Another vote for HI. Oh God the stuff you can wreck with an HI Khukri. The only other medevial implement that cheers me up anywhere near as much is my Glock shovel, sharpened on all edges to ..uh.. hack roots. Yeah, that's it roots!  =D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzpRh-ZE9Mo
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 11:20:32 AM »
I've always read they're for skinning "game". ;)
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 11:58:45 AM »
One is a small utility knife, wasn't of much use with the edge geometry that it came with. I fixy. The other small knife is not a knife, but a burnishing tool to keep the khukri's edge dressed up. Knife shaped, no bevel, harder than the khukri.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 12:24:58 PM by French G. »
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 11:03:15 PM »
I've always read they're for skinning "game". ;)

No point in leaving the job half done, I guess ...

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 05:27:38 AM »
Clearing a lot of brush.  Blackberries growing wild in the backyard behind the shed, etc.

Uh, yeah.  Let me know when you decide to blast out the gold mine and throw it away, or start piping the crude oil from your property directly into the free oil disposal tank at AutoZone.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 05:44:08 AM »
In the Northwest, blackberry bushes grow wild along side of the road.  The only thing you have to worry about is whether the authorities are spraying them with bad stuff.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 10:33:10 AM »
Silver bullet hit the nail on the head. If wild blackberries were rare in our area, that'd be one thing. But there's probably a quarter acre's worth right across the street from us.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 03:19:04 PM »
Yup.  Damn blackberries are like weeds in western Oregon/Washington

Every time I go to my grandmother's farm, I spend a good amount of time removing the things.  They grow in with other plants, choking them out, over equipment and fences, basically anywhere there's a bit of shade and something they can climb on.  They're a nuisance, and removing them without getting multiple scratches and puncture wounds is near impossible.  A good machete helps, a lot.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 09:44:17 AM »
So you want to know how well a kukri works?

Try this anywhere besides at home and just see the sorts of trouble little Johnny gets into: http://www.neptunuslex.com/2010/07/18/adapt-innovate-improvise-overcome/

* Bonus Points and 2/3 of the ramaining Internet to anyone who can cite the first usage of "Johnny" as the friendly nickname applied to the Ghurkas.  It's not that difficult.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.