Author Topic: Breaking - Iran Holding Two US Navy Boats, Detains Crews  (Read 12566 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
Re: Breaking - Iran Holding Two US Navy Boats, Detains Crews
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 07:21:19 PM »
A competent president would give them 30 min to release our *expletive deleted*it before the missiles start flying.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 08:30:58 PM »
^^^^Since the USA uses the 'navigation error' or 'equipment breakdown' excuse frequently as a cover for espionage, it behooves us to treat these cases politely, unless we want to start getting our troops back in coffins after they have been summarily executed for spying.  The Cold War has many examples of this.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 08:46:46 PM »
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 08:48:31 PM »
^^^^Since the USA uses the 'navigation error' or 'equipment breakdown' excuse frequently as a cover for espionage, it behooves us to treat these cases politely, unless we want to start getting our troops back in coffins after they have been summarily executed for spying.  The Cold War has many examples of this.

True in those cases,  but that's not how the Iranians work.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 08:49:28 PM »
Interesting timing.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 08:57:33 PM »
True in those cases,  but that's not how the Iranians work.

How do they work exactly?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 09:16:02 PM »
How do they work exactly?

Hold onto to the foreign nationals until the very day the next US POTUS is being sworn in.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 10:23:01 PM »

This.  Looks like Iran is learning the game.  We deny it's an intel op.  They don't make it too big of a deal and send the sailors home alive and well (while keeping the gear and analyzing the hell out of it all).
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 11:33:18 PM »
The solution to that is once we have our people back safe and the other party refuses to return equipment we blow our stuff to hell and everything and everyone close by (1000 yd radius) goes with it.
Blame it the other guy monkey fingering ordnance  they didn't know how to handle.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 01:31:57 AM »
The solution to that is once we have our people back safe and the other party refuses to return equipment we blow our stuff to hell and everything and everyone close by (1000 yd radius) goes with it.
Blame it the other guy monkey fingering ordnance  they didn't know how to handle.

And they should start with a small yield weapon down the stack of the USS Pueblo.  [ar15]

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 07:44:01 AM »
The crews and boats were released this morning.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 08:20:39 AM »
Yup. Release is in the news.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/01/13/iran-says-prompt-release-detained-us-sailors-is-speculation.html

Boats released, too. The U.S. story now is that one of the boats had a mechanical "malfunction," causing them to "drift" into Iranian territorial waters. Nice try -- you mean Navy boats don't have any rope on board, so the functioning boat could attach a tow line to keep them out of hostile territory?

There's no doubt about it -- this country needs a regime change. The whole gummint has been best with incompetence.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 09:45:05 AM »

Releasing the sailors the next day was very courteous of them. Ditto the boats. While you should never forget the past, especially for actions taken by governments, the past should not be shackles either. If Iran wants to turn over a new leaf and from here forward acts on it, it's in our interest to do the same. We have enough enemies in the world. Even mildly hostile but amicable enough relations are better than enemy, assuming both parties live up to it.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 09:48:49 AM »

Boats released, too. The U.S. story now is that one of the boats had a mechanical "malfunction," causing them to "drift" into Iranian territorial waters. Nice try -- you mean Navy boats don't have any rope on board, so the functioning boat could attach a tow line to keep them out of hostile territory?

"Why didn't they tow?" was my first armchair quarterback thought as well.

Apparently the Iranians kept the GPS/nav equipment, but the US quoted source said it was no big deal, which could lend itself to the "on purpose" theory. Though they had a woman on board. Given how women, especially women prisoners, are prone to be treated in that part of the world, if it was an intelligence gathering op, you would think it would be an all male crew in case of capture. Who knows. Maybe that was part of the plan. If there was a plan. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 12:46:50 PM »
That was not an Intel op. I know those boats. They are the port security boats that the US Navy uses around our stuff in the Gulf. That route  (Kuwait to Bahrain) is an often used run by US military vessels. There's an approved  course line. Due to some crappy geography and a couple islands claimed by Iran you don't have a lot of wiggle room before you run into them.

Also, no those boats don't carry towlines all the time. Emergency procedure would be to rig a hip tow with mooring lines, but wind and sea conditions could easily make that untenable.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 12:54:16 PM »
That was not an Intel op. I know those boats. They are the port security boats that the US Navy uses around our stuff in the Gulf. That route  (Kuwait to Bahrain) is an often used run by US military vessels. There's an approved  course line. Due to some crappy geography and a couple islands claimed by Iran you don't have a lot of wiggle room before you run into them.

Also, no those boats don't carry towlines all the time. Emergency procedure would be to rig a hip tow with mooring lines, but wind and sea conditions could easily make that untenable.

Well, Occam's razor comes through again. :)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 01:09:23 PM »
Well, Occam's razor comes through again. :)

Here's the list of probability of how and why things occur as they do.

RevDisk's Razor of Causation:
1. Bad %#)#&#@ luck
2. Incompetence
3. Something incredibly simple and/or stupid
4. Something incredibly petty
5. It was actually planned ahead of time in an organized, coherent manner for some mundane purpose.
6. Every other possible or logical conclusion
7. It is a conspiracy or dark sinister purpose

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 01:43:09 PM »
^^^This should be engraved on a stone tablet somewhere.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2016, 01:44:17 PM »
looks like the Republican Guards first humilated the sailors, and America, and then let them go.  We have never had such a bunch of pussies in the Pentegon and the Administration before.  Even Jimmy Carter would have been tougher.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 03:01:33 PM »
Well *expletive deleted*it.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/iran-releases-video-of-u-s-sailor-apologizing-that-was-our-mistake/

And that's why you don't say ANYTHING on tape while detained.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re:
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 04:01:14 PM »
Were the sailors all related? And was their last name "Bergdahl"?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 04:48:38 PM »
Due to some crappy geography and a couple islands claimed by Iran you don't have a lot of wiggle room before you run into them.

That's the truth. When we were taking leisurely jaunts around the Gulf at night back in the late 80's early 90's looking for pleasure boaters laying mines it was not uncommon to see AA fire coming up from some chunk of land/oil rig you didn't even know had people on it. They just shot at the sound, we were blacked out and I don't believe they could see us. Some of the times it happened around Farsi Island.

bob

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2016, 05:50:24 PM »
I've seen it speculated that they ran out of gas. That's a long run in a tiny boat. Maybe the fuelling rig missed the RV? That would explain why both were adrift.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2016, 06:44:01 PM »

In the Coast Guard (and Army too, I was an 88K) we use these things called "knots" or "bends".  You can join several mooring lines together and use that as a tow line.   :laugh:  (having taken an obligatory dig at the Navy, I wasn't there, don't know what happened or how quick it happened and I'm joking.)