Author Topic: Apple Security Searches Home for IPhone5  (Read 2153 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Apple Security Searches Home for IPhone5
« on: September 03, 2011, 11:42:17 AM »
Saw this on the news ticker while getting my morning fix of the Fox Business Block, and had to go look it up to see if I read it right.

Apple security personnel apparently searched this person's home without a warrant, while SFPD stood by outside. I saw conflicting stories about them actually impersonating SFPD, but the below linked story seems to give the better facts, at least for what's known now.

This is why (going off on my tangent and this has nothing to do with Apple hardware quality) I've always seen Apple as more of an "evil corporation" than say, Microsoft. The fanboys always talk about how hip and cool Apple is with the turtlenecks and all, but Microsoft, in their frumpy khakis and button down shirts, are actually less the megalomaniac supercorp than Apple. Apple continually reminds me of Mother's Friendly Robot Company on Futurama.

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_18816728
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Apple Security Searches Home for IPhone5
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 01:57:09 PM »
I am doubting the story as told.

We are to believe that the Apple leadership keeps losing iPhone prototypes in bars:

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/31/apple-loses-another-iphone-prototype-at-a-bar/
http://gizmodo.com/5520438/how-apple-lost-the-next-iphone

I'm sorry, two protypes, lost in the same manner?

Either this isn't true, or they're losing them on purpose to generate hype.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 02:00:01 PM »
If Apple security personnel told Mr. Calderon they were SFPD, with the tacit cooperation of the actual SFPD, I suspect Mr. Calderon is going to end up a wealthy man.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 03:33:42 PM »
Either this isn't true, or they're losing them on purpose to generate hype.
Or the guys losing them are being paid to do so.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 03:51:33 PM »
Did y'all catch the closing paragraph?

SF Weekly said one of the men left a phone number with Calderón, which the paper traced to Anthony Colon. According to a public profile on the website LinkedIn, Colon, a former San Jose police sergeant, is employed as a "senior investigator" at Apple.

This suggests that former Sergeant Colon called on a few of his pals on the force to back his play in conducting an illegal search of the residence. Being retired, I'd guess it's an even bet that he still retains some sort of badge that looks official enough to fool someone when it's presented in the presence of several uniformed officers.

I hope Mr. Calderón sues the britches off both Apple and the San Jose PD. He should also file criminal charges against Colon for impersonating a police officer.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 04:02:58 PM »
What is sad is that there are so many people that have no concept of their rights.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 04:17:35 PM »
Did y'all catch the closing paragraph?

This suggests that former Sergeant Colon called on a few of his pals on the force to back his play in conducting an illegal search of the residence. Being retired, I'd guess it's an even bet that he still retains some sort of badge that looks official enough to fool someone when it's presented in the presence of several uniformed officers.

I hope Mr. Calderón sues the britches off both Apple and the San Jose PD. He should also file criminal charges against Colon for impersonating a police officer.

would san fran cops lay it on the line for a former san jose cop?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 04:51:07 PM »

Some might observe that YOU seem to "lay it on the line" for just about any cop from anywhere.  Just sayin....

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
Some might observe that YOU seem to "lay it on the line" for just about any cop from anywhere.  Just sayin....

DD

offend the group think?  or against far play?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 10:48:43 PM »
offend the group think?  or against far play?

No, your posts have just been uncharacteristic of you lately, and it's throwing me off!   :lol:

Why, that last one had 2 punctuation marks.  In ONE post!  You feeling okay?

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 10:51:11 PM »

Probably. San Jose isn't that far from San Francisco.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 10:59:59 PM »
No, your posts have just been uncharacteristic of you lately, and it's throwing me off!   :lol:

Why, that last one had 2 punctuation marks.  In ONE post!  You feeling okay?

DD

i'm feeling the breeze from you ducking questions in posts

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 11:08:36 AM »
i'm feeling the breeze from you ducking questions in posts

Not so much "ducking" as not understanding what the hell you're talking about and trying not to offend you (further) by asking.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 02:20:12 PM »
Come, gentlemen. Shouldn't our hatred for Apple bind our hearts as one in this holy struggle?

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 03:19:18 PM »
Come, gentlemen. Shouldn't our hatred for Apple bind our hearts as one in this holy struggle?

It does make one wonder if this apple is a descendant of Eve's apple...

DD

And I still maintain that I like CSD and look forward to spending some time sniping back and forth with him over diet sodas.  It's just that he can be such an easy target.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 09:56:05 PM »

Apple is a pretty scumy corporation by any standard.  Their patent trolling, lawsuits, activities like this. 

I love their legendary fanboys.

MacOS is sooooo awesome.
- It's just a pretty front end to BSD.  And Apple doesn't contribute very much to the open source they widely profit off.  They book 20% profits, according to the stock info I looked at a week or two.  IBM, on the other hand, has gone to bat for the open course community and wildly contributed back to open source projects.  Not that I'm against profits, not in the least.  But I laugh when folks try to claim they have some sort of moral high ground.

iPhone is soooo awesome.
- It is if you stay within Apple's walled garden.  Apple treats their app developers like an abusive spouse.  If one becomes successful (and they have a distinct advantage on the stats), they make their own version and cuts off the app developers of said product by changing the rules of their app store.  Look up the ebook fiasco.  Any app developer that is wildly successful on iOS is a moron.  Mild success, sure, that's fine.  Wildly successful?  You'll be shut down if Apple can arrange it.  And they often will.

MacBooks are so much better than other laptops.
- They use the same Intel chips and other hardware as any other laptop.  They have slightly better QC than some laptop manufacturers.  Not as good as others.  The Dell XPS line is just as good or better.  Ignoring price, Falcon Northwest blows them out of the water.

Apple is socially responsible.
- Tell that to the Chinese workers committing an oddly high number of suicide building their devices.

It goes on and on.  Honestly, I don't care.  Anyone dumb enough to buy Apple's PR is not going to change their mind based off reality.  If you want to pay the extra loot for less capacity, more power to you.  If you like buying their "image", fine too.  I get paid well to support any of it.  Apple products, Dell products, HP products.  Doesn't matter to me.  It's all pretty much the same.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 12:40:41 AM »
MacBooks are so much better than other laptops.
- They use the same Intel chips and other hardware as any other laptop.  They have slightly better QC than some laptop manufacturers.  Not as good as others.  The Dell XPS line is just as good or better. 

One of our local radio guys picked up on a news story a few months ago, about some laptop manufacturer making a model that was supposed to compete with the Macbook. Radio guy laucnches into a rant about how no Windows laptop could possibly accomplish this, seeing as how they would simply be consumed with viruses. So I don't know if he's just unaware of all the Windows laptops that pretty much everybody uses, or if he thinks people are spending hundreds or thousands of dollars for laptops that simply serve as virus habitats. ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife