Author Topic: Chaffetz Out in 2018  (Read 4386 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Chaffetz Out in 2018
« on: April 19, 2017, 11:17:10 AM »
I just saw Chaffetz has decided not to run for re-election in 2018. I actually respect his reasoning of setting a "term limit" for himself even when they aren't (but should be) a thing.

Does anyone (Marnoot? Neemi?) know how good the chances will be of holding his seat as R? I suspect good, but am not familiar with the politics of the district.

http://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2017/04/19/gop-rep-jason-chaffetz-will-not-be-a-candidate-for-any-office-in-2018/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Marnoot

• friend
Re: Chaffetz Out in 2018
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 12:19:37 PM »
Very, very little chance even a "conservative" Democrat could take the 3rd District, as it covers the most populated portions of the ultra-conservative Utah County area. I'm seeing some speculation he'll try to run for Hatch's senate seat. While I'd love to see Hatch out, I'd hate to see Chaffetz self-limiting his term in the House just to step up to the Senate. Politics seems to corrupt the vast majority of politicians within a few terms, better to get them out entirely than just shuffle them around. I'm hoping he's stepping out for good reasons, based on what he said, and not to just run for the Senate.

Edit: Just re-read and realized Hatch is up for re-election in 2018, and Chaffetz specifically said he's not running in 2018 for anything, so there we go, hopefully. I do hope someone uproots Hatch in the primaries...

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 12:24:02 PM »
Quote from: Chaffetz
“For those that would speculate otherwise, let me be clear that I have no ulterior motives. I am healthy. I am confident I would continue to be re-elected by large margins. I have the full support of Speaker Ryan to continue as Chairman of the Oversight and Government Reform Committee. That said, I have made a personal decision to return to the private sector,”
Maybe I'm too cynical but I don't believe this for a second.

A tech savvy GOP aide just pointed out to me that when you type http://jasonforgovernor.com  it goes to Chaffetz’s congressional campaign page...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 01:12:42 PM by DittoHead »
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 01:48:08 PM »
A tech savvy GOP aide just pointed out to me that when you type http://jasonforgovernor.com  it goes to Chaffetz’s congressional campaign page...

Maybe, but why not stay in the House while running for governor? The next gubernatorial election is 4 years away. Also, that domain has been registered since 2009, so it certainly doesn't directly reflect any "new" plans.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 04:20:21 PM »
Eh, on more reflection he may very well be eyeing a run for Governor. I was thinking it's 4 years away, but he's not actually out of Congress until the end of next year, which would only be a little under 2 years before elections for Governor. Guess time will tell.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 04:21:37 PM »
Eh, on more reflection he may very well be eyeing a run for Governor. I was thinking it's 4 years away, but he's not actually out of Congress until the end of next year, which would only be a little under 2 years before elections for Governor. Guess time will tell.

Honestly, leaving his previous position before running for another (and taking the requisite time away from that position) is still an honorable choice.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 04:56:49 PM »
Honestly, leaving his previous position before running for another (and taking the requisite time away from that position) is still an honorable choice.

I don't disagree with that. I'm just of the opinion that career politicians tend toward corruption, with the bulk being largely beholden to corporate and/or special interests within a couple terms. Thus my preference for politicians to get in, do some good work, then get out. I'm sure there are exceptions to the corruption, hopefully Mr. Chaffetz will be one.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 09:30:14 AM »
Does he have some health issues? I notice he shakes a lot when writing. I wonder if that could be part of his decision to return to the Real World?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 05:39:43 PM »
You might be on to something. He's now saying he may step down before his term ends: http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43937212&nid=148&title=chaffetz-confirms-he-may-step-down-before-his-term-ends

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 02:08:56 AM »
Does he have some health issues? I notice he shakes a lot when writing. I wonder if that could be part of his decision to return to the Real World?

Brad

It it's while he's actually writing it might just be "essential tremor" which is not an especially big deal for most people.  Shaking while at rest is another matter.
Formerly sumpnz

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 08:20:09 AM »
One term as a governor then a Presidential run?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 09:20:07 AM »
One term as a governor then a Presidential run?

That is what I just read, but a two term Governor. http://fusion.net/jason-chaffetz-is-maybe-considering-running-for-preside-1794463292
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 11:57:49 AM »
He's an idiot then if he does end his term early and plans to run for Governor. If he didn't complete his term in his last office, why should I believe he'll do it in the next? I'd be likely to vote against him in the primary if that were the case, and you can bet it will be first point of attack for opponents.

If he ends his congressional term early it's going to be a circus. The procedures for a special election for a US representative are not exactly spelled-out well in UT law.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 09:09:34 AM »
If he wanted to fuel more speculation, taking an emergency leave of absence seems like a good way to do so.
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/jason-chaffetz-takes-emergency-leave-of-absence-from-congress/article/2621412

I must say, his foot does look pretty messed up though. That's a lot of screws!
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 11:31:23 AM »
And now apparently he's done
Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) is expected to announce Thursday that he is resigning before the end of this congressional term, according to three sources familiar with his plans.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 03:49:52 PM »
Done is exactly what he is. Dude just got re-elected in November and he's quitting 6 months into the term. As I said before, if he has any aspirations for any other elected offices he's an idiot.

People (hopefully) won't vote for someone that quit their previous office on what sure appears to be a whim. Now the local circus will begin.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 07:05:08 PM »
I dunno.  I guess for now I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that there is possibly a personal backstory here that he doesn't want all over the news. Otherwise that story, this soon after reelection, is kinda lame.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 08:53:02 PM »
He said in an interview yesterday he's quitting because he doesn't want to spend another several hundred more days away from his family. If only there were some way he could have foreseen that being a US Representative would require this before he ran for re-election . . .

I don't like being away from my family either, this is why I chose a job that doesn't require frequent travel.

He also claims he didn't talk to Fox News about a job until after this decision was made. I'm skeptical, but I hope he's at least being honest about that.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2017, 04:09:42 PM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

grampster

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2017, 10:25:13 AM »
Instead of an extra $2500.00 a month, how about converting one or more of the vacant buildings owned by the .fedgov in DC and turning it into a barracks for congress critters?  Compulsory to live there and an in house cafeteria for chow.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw