Author Topic: Killing bamboo  (Read 2939 times)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Killing bamboo
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 06:37:54 PM »
Isn't this how sci-fi horror movies are envisioned?

Chris
k

"THE DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS BAMBOO."
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

grampster

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 09:33:25 PM »
From the gist of this thread, it seems suicide is also another option. :P =D

Charby, I'm thinking that if I apply Tordon I will carefully inject a bit into the cut off stump of each individual bamboo cane, not just spray it around.  Probably 100 or so canes, so it will be tedious, but no more tedious than a digging and filling a trench and vinyl block inserted in the trench. 

In your opinion, do you think carefully doing that will ameliorate the killing of other stuff?  There are several nearby trees, some other woody plants, berry vines and other wild growing stuff I leave alone as I like the area a bit wild.  What I read about Tordon is that it is effective, but I'm leery of overkill.   
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 09:46:18 PM »
Overkill?

Seems like just enough kill if you ask me...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2017, 10:08:09 PM »

I do miss it, grew up playing in it, love the shoots for eating. Thinking about a patch here for an endless supply of garden posts. I'll be sure to plant it close to the neighbors.

I read you can cut the top and bottom off a plastic barrel then cut in in half. You can use the rings created as barriers. Bury them but leave 6" above ground.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2017, 10:16:06 PM »
So is fire ineffective? Build a flame thrower. Stuff might grow back, but about the third time you burn the neighborhood down I bet the neighbors pay to dig all the bamboo up. Besides, flamethrower!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2017, 10:22:36 PM »
From the gist of this thread, it seems suicide is also another option. :P =D

Charby, I'm thinking that if I apply Tordon I will carefully inject a bit into the cut off stump of each individual bamboo cane, not just spray it around.  Probably 100 or so canes, so it will be tedious, but no more tedious than a digging and filling a trench and vinyl block inserted in the trench. 

In your opinion, do you think carefully doing that will ameliorate the killing of other stuff?  There are several nearby trees, some other woody plants, berry vines and other wild growing stuff I leave alone as I like the area a bit wild.  What I read about Tordon is that it is effective, but I'm leery of overkill.   

Honestly, I'd do the glyphosate route.

https://www.roundup.com/en-us/library/specific-weeds/what-bamboo-and-how-do-i-control-it
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

grampster

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2017, 10:39:29 PM »
Thanks.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2017, 10:49:40 PM »
Take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2017, 07:57:12 AM »
Take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Now North America is infested with bamboo.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2017, 10:43:54 AM »
I'm betting that all he's going to do is piss it off and it's going to come for him in the middle of the night looking for revenge.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2017, 01:27:46 PM »
I'm betting that all he's going to do is piss it off and it's going to come for him in the middle of the night looking for revenge.

Oh, thanks for giving the bastards an idea.  I've long felt that "The Grove" has been tapping into my WiFi.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2017, 01:32:52 PM »
Now North America is infested with bamboo.

Plague, meteor, bamboo...Whatever it takes.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2017, 02:50:44 PM »
Didn't Bill O'Reilly write a book about this?  What did he recommend?
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2017, 05:53:13 PM »
Oh, thanks for giving the bastards an idea.  I've long felt that "The Grove" has been tapping into my WiFi.

Bamboo doesn't need ideas to get revenge.

It's its own revenge...

Pb

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2018, 09:12:11 AM »
This is what my father does to kill bamboo:

Cut the bamboo off about 6 inches high, just below the node.  This will leave a hollow in the stem.  Pour a mixture of 1part glyphosate (Roundup) and 2 parts water into the hollow stem.  Do this when there is not a threat of rain. The glyphosate should be 48% glyphosate.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2018, 09:37:55 AM »
I've got a jug of Roundup concentrate.  In the spring I'm going to take a day and spend it cutting down the stalks.  I've got a fairly large plastic injector that I can fill and inject into the stalks.  I'll probably wait a couple weeks or so and then mow over the area weekly.  I'll watch for shoots and then dig up the roots that don't die from the Roundup.