Author Topic: How a computer thinks when playing chess  (Read 1554 times)

cosine

• Administrator
How a computer thinks when playing chess
« on: July 10, 2006, 05:04:08 PM »
See here: http://turbulence.org/spotlight/thinking/chess.html

Pretty cool. Any comments?
Andy

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 12:49:48 AM »
I get a blank screen under "play the game". I've found that some really unorthodox moves will beat most computers. Trade queens sometime and see what it thinks of THAT. Wink

As a matter of fact, I'd love to play this and see what it thinks of different situations I'd put it in.

Sigh...If the "world" had only listened to me we could have BEAT Kasparov but noooo, they had to suck up to Irina Krush. Bunch of losers... Tongue
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 03:49:42 AM »
Not to drift too far but I used to play online at AOL or something and it was all graded so you could gain or lose position on the board depending on how you did in each game. A LOT of times I found that if you started winning real good the other player would stop playing and would only lose if the game timed out. Meanwhile you're stuck there and if you quit the game you lose! Besides, you think you got flamers around HERE? Hooo boy... rolleyes

I lost my taste for internet chess.

Here's a link to the "World vs Kasparov" site. The bickering was brutal on the chat board, I knew they were beat about 30 moves back and made sure I told them so. LOL...

An un-BELIEVABLE number of people posted all this intense computer aided analysis out to 30 friggin moves and fought over them back and forth. You know me. At about move 5 I posted, "Garry, give the world a chance, give us your QUEEN!" You shoulda seen the invectives thrown at me. Crap, can't anyone ever have any FUN on this here internet? Tongue I'm betting I got a chuckle out of Garry though. That's all I wanted. Cheesy

http://classic.zone.msn.com/kasparov/todaysmove10-22.html
Avoid cliches like the plague!

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 04:37:39 PM »
Quote from: 280plus
Not to drift too far but I used to play online at AOL or something and it was all graded so you could gain or lose position on the board depending on how you did in each game. A LOT of times I found that if you started winning real good the other player would stop playing and would only lose if the game timed out. Meanwhile you're stuck there and if you quit the game you lose! Besides, you think you got flamers around HERE? Hooo boy... rolleyes

I lost my taste for internet chess.

Here's a link to the "World vs Kasparov" site. The bickering was brutal on the chat board, I knew they were beat about 30 moves back and made sure I told them so. LOL...

An un-BELIEVABLE number of people posted all this intense computer aided analysis out to 30 friggin moves and fought over them back and forth. You know me. At about move 5 I posted, "Garry, give the world a chance, give us your QUEEN!" You shoulda seen the invectives thrown at me. Crap, can't anyone ever have any FUN on this here internet? Tongue I'm betting I got a chuckle out of Garry though. That's all I wanted. Cheesy

http://classic.zone.msn.com/kasparov/todaysmove10-22.html
Pretty funny. Smiley

I used to play chess on Yahoo, and even though I'm no expert, I beat quite few people. I don't play anymore though, because like you said, I got sick of people just walking out on a game. Not to mention some people could get very vocal when you beat them. I got "f*** you" thrown at me more than just occasionally. I don't what it was that makes people so anti-social that when they lose they couldn't just say "Good game. Nice playing with you." which is what my ending words always were when I lost.

Okay, enough rant. Too bad you couldn't get the game to work. It was pretty cool, it drew colored lines across the board which indicated which moves the computer was analyzing.
Andy

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 05:10:34 PM »
ok, i've never played any chess online, anyone here want to get a game sometime??  the only catch, is you have to explain to me where to go and what to do to get the game started....