Author Topic: Florida sets separate but unequal goals for students of differing races.  (Read 4491 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
http://tampa.cbslocal.com/2012/10/12/florida-passes-plan-for-racially-based-academic-goals/

The Florida State Board of Education passed a plan that sets goals for students in math and reading based upon their race.

On Tuesday, the board passed a revised strategic plan that says that by 2018, it wants 90 percent of Asian students, 88 percent of white students, 81 percent of Hispanics and 74 percent of black students to be reading at or above grade level. For math, the goals are 92 percent of Asian kids to be proficient, whites at 86 percent, Hispanics at 80 percent and blacks at 74 percent. It also measures by other groupings, such as poverty and disabilities, reported the Palm Beach Post.

This oughttabe a hoot.  :facepalm:  [popcorn]

Not sure if this belongs here, or in politics.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Florida sets separate but unequal goals for students of differing races.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 03:23:20 PM »

Not sure if this belongs here, or in politics.

We need a new Comedy" section for stuff like this.

stay safe.

If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 03:24:13 PM »
We need a new Comedy" section for stuff like this.

stay safe.

Don't you really mean tragedy?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 03:34:37 PM »
Don't you really mean tragedy?

Nope.  Tragedy involves an heroic figure.  This is merely epic - as in Epic Fail (times infinity).

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 09:33:02 PM »
I don't think I understand.

In addition, State Board of Education Chairwoman Kathleen Shanahan said that setting goals for different subgroups was needed to comply with terms of a waiver that Florida and 32 other states have from some provisions of the federal No Child Left Behind Act. These waivers were used to make the states independent from some federal regulations.

So, in order to ensure that no child is left behind, the state has institutionalized leaving behind significant segments of the student population? I thought we had done the New Math fad maybe 40 years ago. I guess they're still using it in some places.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 10:06:54 AM »
Children are left behind all the time.  Some because the system leaves them, some because they don't have what it takes upstairs to keep up.

I wonder what the standard deviation of the test is?  I am smelling 12-14 pts.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 03:06:49 PM »
State standards only matter where they exceed parental standards, may not matter even then.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 10:35:04 PM »
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 08:06:15 AM »
Children are left behind all the time.  Some because the system leaves them, some because they don't have what it takes upstairs to keep up.

Yep, someone has to be on the left side of the IQ bell curve.

That being said, the system has to train them to do something.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

griz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
I don't think I understand.

So, in order to ensure that no child is left behind, the state has institutionalized leaving behind significant segments of the student population?

Not only that, but we have institutionized leaving behind higher precentages of some minorities.  I think this clearly demonstrates that favoring one race over another, even with "good" intentions, will never result in a color blind result.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 01:28:37 PM »
That being said, the system has to train them to do something.

It already does. Collect welfare checks, do no work, PROFIT!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 02:51:57 PM »
The answer is vocational training (aka career tech) and dignifying "blue collar" work in America.  There are way too many white collars in this nation, and we are looking at the cultural results of that all around us.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 10:44:53 PM »
It can be separate as long as it's equal.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 11:39:24 PM »
The answer is vocational training (aka career tech) and dignifying "blue collar" work in America.  There are way too many white collars in this nation, and we are looking at the cultural results of that all around us.

But nobody wants to be some low brow blue collar type.
Of course I see many people that turn there nose up a Joe the plumber, Bob the mechanic and Fred the garbage hauler. None are too keen on admitting they can't do without them.
Go ahead big city banker, go a couple weeks with your plumbing not working, how much is the plumbers services worth now? Car won't start? Who ya gonna call, Skippy with the MBA or Skeeter down at the garage?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 12:04:36 AM »
It can be separate as long as it's equal.....

You mean like mandatory hiring policies where you're supposed to grade demonstrably unequal applicants as if they had identical proficiency? Gee, where have I see that before...

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 08:38:07 AM »
It already does. Collect welfare checks, do no work, PROFIT!

You forgot the most important thing . . . VOTE DEMOCRATIC!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 01:34:04 PM »
But nobody wants to be some low brow blue collar type.
Of course I see many people that turn there nose up a Joe the plumber, Bob the mechanic and Fred the garbage hauler. None are too keen on admitting they can't do without them.
Go ahead big city banker, go a couple weeks with your plumbing not working, how much is the plumbers services worth now? Car won't start? Who ya gonna call, Skippy with the MBA or Skeeter down at the garage?

The jobs that can't be exported have to be local.  That means "the trades" in many cases.  But these are skills a lot of Americans once had and ought to have again.

I keep waiting for some honesty about "jobs" in these debates.  Sooner or later someone will have to question the genius of "globalism" and whom it really benefits.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Hugh Damright

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 10:20:35 PM »
The Florida State Board of Education passed a plan that sets goals for students in math and reading based upon their race.

On Tuesday, the board passed a revised strategic plan that says that by 2018, it wants 90 percent of Asian students, 88 percent of white students, 81 percent of Hispanics and 74 percent of black students to be reading at or above grade level. For math, the goals are 92 percent of Asian kids to be proficient, whites at 86 percent, Hispanics at 80 percent and blacks at 74 percent. It also measures by other groupings, such as poverty and disabilities, reported the Palm Beach Post.

It is given that "the percentage of white students scoring at or above grade level ... was 69 percent in 2011-2012, according to the state. For black students, it was 38 percent, and for Hispanics, it was 53 percent". So what would be the proper way to set goals? Is it racism to recognize the reality and set goals to improve the situation?

Is it racism to recognize that blacks are so far behind that they need to double their scoring (from 38 to 74)? Does it follow that whites should also double their score from 69 to 138 ... it doesn't even make sense that 138% of whites should be scoring at or above their grade. Or does it follow that the goal for blacks and whites should both be 74 when whites are already at 69? It seems to me that the way they are doing it is probably proper, setting very high goals for blacks/hispanics because they are so far behind, and then setting the goals for whites based on the given performance of whites.

I suppose at first glance it might look like racism to say that the goal for blacks is 74 while the goal for whites is 86 ... but are blacks really being given a lesser objective when the goal for blacks is to double their grade while the goal for whites is to increase their grade by 25%?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 12:59:42 AM »
It is given that "the percentage of white students scoring at or above grade level ... was 69 percent in 2011-2012, according to the state. For black students, it was 38 percent, and for Hispanics, it was 53 percent". So what would be the proper way to set goals? Is it racism to recognize the reality and set goals to improve the situation?

Is it racism to recognize that blacks are so far behind that they need to double their scoring (from 38 to 74)? Does it follow that whites should also double their score from 69 to 138 ... it doesn't even make sense that 138% of whites should be scoring at or above their grade. Or does it follow that the goal for blacks and whites should both be 74 when whites are already at 69? It seems to me that the way they are doing it is probably proper, setting very high goals for blacks/hispanics because they are so far behind, and then setting the goals for whites based on the given performance of whites.

I suppose at first glance it might look like racism to say that the goal for blacks is 74 while the goal for whites is 86 ... but are blacks really being given a lesser objective when the goal for blacks is to double their grade while the goal for whites is to increase their grade by 25%?

All that you write makes sense, but does not get at the heart of the matter. 

Ask yourself, "What is the number one objective of educrats, after that of keeping their phoney-baloney jobs?"  The answer is, "Narrow the gap."  Need you ask which gap?  For those slow on the pickup, I will provide it: the white vs black achievement gap.

Here is the explanation of what is occurring:

http://www.lagriffedulion.f2s.com/adverse.htm (the form of a parable)

http://isteve.blogspot.com/2010/08/not-making-much-progress-are-we.html (a bit more straight forward)

I will leave you this tantalizing chart:

[Caption: Pass-rate gaps, when measured by percentage point differences, can appear to change dramatically without any real change occurring in the difference between mean scores.]

Bottom line:
They are changing the test and making it easier, to shrink the white/black percentile gap

Right now (in 69%vs38%RealityLand), the test lies in the middle of the chart above, at near the spot predicted to maximize the white/black achievement gap.  Go ahead, plot the white passing rate on the chart above, move on over to y-axis, and look at the gap.  Is it close to 69-38=31%?  Looks about like 35% to my eyes.  Not too bad a fit, given one(1) data point.

Now, if you were an educrat, which way would you prefer to move on the chart?  Well, we don't want to anger parents of white kids if we make the test harder and they do worse, thus narrowing the gap at the expense of white kids' scores. 

No, the best route to to pull a Full Wobegone: make every child above average by making the test easier.

(1) Lagriffe du Lion provides more such data.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton