Author Topic: Arlen Spector dies  (Read 2363 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Arlen Spector dies
« on: October 14, 2012, 01:24:27 PM »
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: Arlen Spector dies
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 01:42:20 PM »
If he doesn't remember to I'm sure Acorn will help him out and make sure he votes correctly.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 02:39:15 PM »

That's a shame. I didn't always like him, but he was a decent person who followed his own opinions.  I think I met with him three or four times. Smart, well spoken. We had a great conversation on WW2 partisans, and actually discussed the borders on how much or little it should shape our Balkans policies. It is still something I have pondered years afterwards.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
R.I.P
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 12:11:27 AM »
He wasn't as bad as Ted Kennedy.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 12:17:55 AM »

Damning with faint praise there.
Formerly sumpnz

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 01:33:27 AM »
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 07:41:56 AM »

That chaps to the quiddick.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 12:00:07 PM »
I met the man several times over the years when I was working for the newspaper.

I NEVER liked him.

Truly the "if the lips are moving, he's lying" politician.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 12:17:39 PM »
At least Teddy didn't pretend to be politically something he wasn't. 
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 12:31:14 PM »
I met the man several times over the years when I was working for the newspaper.

I NEVER liked him.

Truly the "if the lips are moving, he's lying" politician.

Ayep.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 01:41:16 PM »
Death doesn't change what a man is, it only concretizes it.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 08:03:42 PM »
A statist in the mold of Bob Dole, or Richard Lugar.  I'm sure his family will miss him.  The Republic won't.

RIP
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 08:13:57 PM »
Meh.

My condolences to his family though.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 08:17:08 PM »
Of course, but was he concerned about your family?
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 09:09:11 PM »
Of course, but was he concerned about your family?

heh,  true,   but to say that I'm tickled that the world is free of one more ahole is considered tacky,  and I'm sure his family does mourn his passing to some extent. 

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 10:59:15 PM »
Guess he doesn't have to fight his cancer anymore and he can relax.  RIP.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 01:26:35 AM »

That a sponsor of tyranny suffers at the end evokes no sympathy in me.

There are few who, in dying, balance the scales of the suffering they have caused.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 11:36:56 AM »
His is another life from which we might, if we wanted, take some lessons, lessons that might be illuminating given where this country has arrived.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.