Author Topic: Russia threatens military response to US missile defence deal  (Read 4047 times)

MechAg94

• friend
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article4295309.ece

I was curious what some of your opinions were on this.  I have seen other articles talking about Russia putting out some tough talk against our expanding this missile defense system.  Personally, I think they are upset that we won't share it with them and they can't build one themselves.  I was curious if any of you actually see Russia doing anything drastic or is it just more talk?

Russia threatened to retaliate by military means after a deal with the Czech Republic brought the US missile defence system in Europe a step closer.

The threat followed quickly on from the announcement that Condoleezza Rice signed a formal agreement with the Czech Republic to host the radar for the controversial project.

Moscow argues that the missile shield would severely undermine the balance of European security and regards the proposed missile shield based in two former Communist countries as a hostile move.

We will be forced to react not with diplomatic, but with military-technical methods, the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
Related Links

The ministry did not detail what its response might entail.

Dr Rice, the US Secretary of State, hailed the agreement as a step forward for international security.

After 14 months of negotiations, the US is struggling to clinch agreement with its other proposed partner - Poland - where it hopes to locate the interceptor missiles designed to shoot down any incoming rockets.

Washington insists that the system will not be targeted at Russia, but will act as a safeguard for Europe against regimes such as Iran. The plan was endorsed by Nato in April.

"This missile defence agreement is significant as a building block not just for the security of the United States and the Czech Republic, but also for the security of Nato and the security of the international community as a whole," Dr Rice said. "Ballistic missile proliferation is not an imaginary threat."

A change of government in Poland last November saw the country introduce a range of demands including US investment in its air defences in return for siting the missiles.

Poland's tough negotiating position has even led to a threat from the Pentagon to find an alternative site in the Baltic state of Lithuania.

"There are remaining issues, but the United States has made a very generous offer [to the Poles]," said Dr Rice.

A year ago at the G8 in Germany, President Vladimir Putin of Russia surprised the US by suggesting that the radar could be hosted in Azerbaijan so that the technology could be shared.

The signing ceremony seemed to bury that idea. Addressing Russian anxiety about the anti-missile system in what used to be its backyard, Ms Rice added: "We want the system to be transparent to the Russians."

Mirek Topolanek, the Czech Prime Minister, said that the deal was an example of "our joint desire to protect the free world" and said his country could not afford to miss out as it had done after the Second World War, when it fell under Soviet influence.

"We were in the past in a similar situation and then we failed. We did not accept the Marshall Plan...we should not allow a second error of this kind," he said.

In Prague, where polls consistently show a majority of Czechs opposed to hosting the US radar, protestors from Greenpeace unrolled a large banner proclaiming "Do not make a target of us."

After Prague, Dr Rice will visit Bulgaria and Georgia where she will stress US support for Tblisi's application for Nato membership, another annoyance for Russia.

She will also appeal for calm between Moscow and Tblisi over the separatist Georgian regions of Abkhazia and South Ossetia.

"We have said both Georgia and Russia need to avoid provocative behaviour but frankly some of the things the Russians did over the last couple of months added to tension in the region," Dr Rice said.

"Georgia is an independent state. It has to be treated like one. I want to make very clear that the US commitment to Georgia's territorial integrity is strong."

The radar agreement still has to pass through the Czech parliament where the government only has a slim majority.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Russia threatens military response to US missile defence deal
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 06:00:52 AM »

Russia's military is not in much shape to do anything significant, AFAIK.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 06:18:15 AM »
Exactly, what are they gonna do? I'd be more worried about Putin using this as an excuse to move toward a rebuilt USSR. That guy is scary.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 06:23:27 AM »
The whole thing is a competing mix of reasons IMO, but mainly its:

- Former/diminished superpower angst.
- How it plays against internal politics (bread and circuses/external crisis & distraction)
- Cultural attitudes we don't completely understand about the nations/peoples Russia has considered it's "backyard" for centuries.
I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 06:24:11 AM »
We will be forced to react not with diplomatic, but with military-technical methods, the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

Fine, have at it.  Assuming of course that you can find a spy to steal the technology from the USA.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 09:51:50 AM »
By all means, do so.  Attack for building a shield? That'll go over well with NATO and the international community as a whole.  Russia had the power to make threats like this 30? years ago.  Today?  Not so much.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 10:09:25 AM »
The Bear will still be in the air in 2040.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-95

speaking of Russians, this kind of cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVbuIZ-5-8o

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 02:53:18 PM »
We have actually offered to let them in on the deal more than once, with varying levels of participation.  The Russians have consistently refused.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 03:15:40 PM »
We have actually offered to let them in on the deal more than once, with varying levels of participation.  The Russians have consistently refused.

Why on earth would the Russians want in on a deal that makes their nuclear arsenal useless as a retaliatory measure?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 03:21:27 PM »
because it would, likewise, make ours equally useless.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 03:40:58 PM »
If Russia wants to mix it up with us, they can take a number.  We have other customers.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 03:41:46 PM »
because it would, likewise, make ours equally useless.

Somehow I highly doubt that this is what the shield actually does.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Marvin Dao

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 04:16:23 PM »

Why on earth would the Russians want in on a deal that makes their nuclear arsenal useless as a retaliatory measure?

Because it doesn't do that at all. Any ballistic missile defense that's on the table is worthless against Russia's arsenal. Unless our BMD expenditures take a massive leap, there's nowhere near enough interceptors to stop Russia from a retaliatory attack. Even if we did destroy most of their silos on a first strike and had the interceptors to cover the rest, the most optimistic interception percentages would still let Russia destroy pretty much every major city in America in a retaliatory attack.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 04:25:58 PM »

Because it doesn't do that at all. Any ballistic missile defense that's on the table is worthless against Russia's arsenal. Unless our BMD expenditures take a massive leap, there's nowhere near enough interceptors to stop Russia from a retaliatory attack. Even if we did destroy most of their silos on a first strike and had the interceptors to cover the rest, the most optimistic interception percentages would still let Russia destroy pretty much every major city in America in a retaliatory attack.

So what's the purpose of the shield???

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 04:34:52 PM »
Folks with smaller arsenals? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 04:55:21 PM »

BINGO.  It can stop say 20 or less (probably much LESS) incoming missles.  Altough I would wonder how many Russian missle would actually make it out of the silos.......
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 05:38:49 PM »

If that's the case what's the purpose of locating all this machinery in Eastern Europe? Who are those folks with smaller arsenals there?

Sorry, but this just does not make any sense.   I think the Russians are annoyed for a good reason.

Marvin Dao

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 06:21:55 PM »

If that's the case what's the purpose of locating all this machinery in Eastern Europe? Who are those folks with smaller arsenals there?

Sorry, but this just does not make any sense.   I think the Russians are annoyed for a good reason.

Iran and Pakistan. Both have ballistic missiles and potentially unstable governments. Pakistan already has nuclear weapons and has the technical knowledge to miniaturize them enough to fit onto their ballistic missiles. Iran may potentially gain nuclear weapons. For various technical reasons (mainly distance), the Alaska site has reasonably good coverage over China, Russia, and North Korea, but poor coverage over the Middle East. Poland is arguably out strongest ally in the region, so they get the station.

As ballistic missiles traveling from Russia to America would primarily take the over the North Pole route that the Alaska station covers, the station in Poland does not gain us much against Russia.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 07:17:37 PM »
So basically the Russians are only uspet because they have no idea what's going on?

If they knew the facts, they'd actually invite this network, because it only helps them?

Marvin Dao

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 07:58:51 PM »
So basically the Russians are only uspet because they have no idea what's going on?

If they knew the facts, they'd actually invite this network, because it only helps them?

It doesn't help them or hurt them. They're just bitching because they can. This is much like the NATO expansion into former Soviet Bloc countries that happened in the late '90s. They bitched, they moaned, they said it endangered Russia/Western relations, they threatened to slow their nuclear force draw down, etc. In the end, it amounted to nothing.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 04:20:01 AM »
This missile defense does not really change the balance of power between Russia and the US/NATO at all. It cannot shoot down a mass launch of missiles that is the Russian/Soviet doctrine. It can only deal with a few missiles that may come from some lesser state like Iran. I suspect Russia is posturing for the benefit of its new client state Iran.

bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 01:03:08 PM »
Don't forget China.  They have a small arsenal of ICBM's that could reach the US, somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 of them.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 01:07:44 PM »
It sounded to me like they were complaining because they wanted us to share the technology with them.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 01:57:17 PM »
The interceptors must be based as close as possible to the midpoint between the incoming missile's launch site and it's target. 

Defending against missiles launched in the Middle East against Western Europe requires interceptors based in Eastern Europe.  That's why we're working with Poland and Czech Republic.  That chunk of SW Russia, just north of Georgia, would be ideal for defending against missiles from China or North Korea targeting Europe.  That's why we're trying to negotiate with Russia.

If Russia were to attack the US with ballistic missiles, their trajectories would mostly be over the north pole.  Interceptors in Eastern Europe or SW Russia would be absolutely useless, we'd need interceptors in Canada and Alaska (though I think we placing some interceptors in Alaska). 

Russia's objections to the missile shield in Eastern Europe aren't strategic, they're political.  Russia simply doesn't like the fact we have the tech.  They don't like the fact that Europe is relying upon the US for their protection.  Obviously that increases our geopolitical importance and lessens theirs.

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 01:58:33 PM »

To me, the technical part of this makes me think of computer hacking. Russia definitely has the resources to pull off some pretty nasty cyber-attacks, especially considering that many attacks already originate there. If they could pull off a large data wipe somewhere important, it could cause huge problems for the U.S.

I don't know how realistic that is, but it made me think.