Author Topic: Who's smarter than I am?  (Read 795 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Who's smarter than I am?
« on: October 12, 2017, 06:39:09 PM »
Line forms at the left.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/congress-warned-north-korean-emp-attack-would-kill-90-of-all-americans/article/2637349

We have a national electric power grid. I'm 73 years old and we have had electricity for my entire lifetime, plus a few years. We didn't start using computers until the 1960s, and those were either huge tape drives, or IBM punch card data systems. I don't know when the power grid came under computer control, but I'll guess not until the 70s, or possibly the 80s.

So if we could generate electricity and distribute electricity without computers for 50 something years ... why can't we have an image of that system in place in the event of EMP attack?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Who's smarter than I am?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 07:04:10 PM »
Their testimony also highlighted the failure of the Pentagon or Congress to extend the life of the EMP Commission and they recommended deeper study into the threat, include from a simple solar flare.
The world is going to end so you need to pay us to tell you how bad it is going to be.  No, we won't fix it.  That is a different Commission. 

I guess they have gotten more creative with the doomsday stuff since the Nuclear War stuff of the 80's.  I wonder when we will see EMP doomsday movies show up?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 07:26:29 PM »
 .... I guess they have gotten more creative with the doomsday stuff since the Nuclear War stuff of the 80's.  I wonder when we will see EMP doomsday movies show up?

An author named William Forstchen (spelling?)  wrote a book called "ONE SECOND AFTER"  about an EMP  attack.   Some believe it's pretty accurate,  others claim it exxaggerates,  but it is pretty wrenching.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 07:48:05 PM »
An author named William Forstchen (spelling?)  wrote a book called "ONE SECOND AFTER"  about an EMP  attack.   Some believe it's pretty accurate,  others claim it exxaggerates,  but it is pretty wrenching.

A lot of the bad guy stuff was exaggerated (cannibals!), but infrastructure stuff was pretty well done. Examples: The main character's daughter dying from lack of insulin; most all the folks in the nursing home dying; food. Newt Gingrich actually wrote the forward, IIRC, as he was big on EMP preparedness at the time.

Coincidentally to this thread, I just finished rewatching Jericho on Netflix.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."