Author Topic: Story of Columbine shootings greatly exaggerated  (Read 6885 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Story of Columbine shootings greatly exaggerated
« on: April 14, 2009, 04:52:48 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-04-13-columbine-myths_N.htm?se=yahoorefer

They weren't goths or loners.
The two teenagers who killed 13 people and themselves at suburban Denver's Columbine High School 10 years ago next week weren't in the "Trenchcoat Mafia," disaffected videogamers who wore cowboy dusters. The killings ignited a national debate over bullying, but the record now shows Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold hadn't been bullied — in fact, they had bragged in diaries about picking on freshmen and "fags."

Their rampage put schools on alert for "enemies lists" made by troubled students, but the enemies on their list had graduated from Columbine a year earlier. Contrary to early reports, Harris and Klebold weren't on antidepressant medication and didn't target jocks, blacks or Christians, police now say, citing the killers' journals and witness accounts. That story about a student being shot in the head after she said she believed in God? Never happened, the FBI says now.

So basically, they were just nuts. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Story of Columbine shootings greatly exaggerated
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 05:00:18 PM »
That story about a student being shot in the head after she said she believed in God? Never happened, the FBI says now.

A bit of modern evangelical hagiography bites the dust.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 05:28:09 PM »
what they fail to address is that the parents of one of them was extremely anti gun, telling the young killer
"guns are only made for killing people" taught him well I guess.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 05:38:43 PM »
Does this matter? Really, does it matter?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 05:48:51 PM »

This^^

Also, are we just taking whatever USA Today spews out as gospel now? I get a "You see, even just plain ole folks can go nuts and start a-killing with those eeeevvvvviiiilllllll black rifles! Ban em all now!" kinda vibe from this.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 05:51:40 PM »
I get a "You see, even just plain ole folks can go nuts and start a-killing with those eeeevvvvviiiilllllll black rifles! Ban em all now!" kinda vibe from this.

Did you read the article? It clearly stated Harris was a predatory psychopath, not "plain ole folk."

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 05:53:39 PM »
What struck me was that the latest indications are that no matter what, they wanted to kill alot of people.  Alot of the no tolerance anti-bullying rhetoric from schools came from this incident.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Reifen

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 05:58:20 PM »
This article just confirms for me what I already know.

I was 15 in High School when this happened.  I wore black clothes, listened to heavy metal, played video games, and thought black trench coats just looked awesome.  I wasn't one of the cool kids and I was fine with that because I had my own group of friends.  Columbine happened and I spent the rest of High School getting funny looks and hearing jokes behind my back that I might shoot up the school.  

So yeah, this article is just a big "No, really?!"

:rolleyes:

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 05:59:09 PM »
Did you read the article? It clearly stated Harris was a predatory psychopath, not "plain ole folk."

Just the quoted parts; went back and read it now. It's not bad in the way I thought it'd be, but still slanted anti.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 06:27:07 PM »
This article just confirms for me what I already know.

I was 15 in High School when this happened.  I wore black clothes, listened to heavy metal, played video games, and thought black trench coats just looked awesome.  I wasn't one of the cool kids and I was fine with that because I had my own group of friends.  Columbine happened and I spent the rest of High School getting funny looks and hearing jokes behind my back that I might shoot up the school.  

So yeah, this article is just a big "No, really?!"

:rolleyes:
Hate to admit it, but same situation here.  Had zero interest in guns at the time, though... thought Bud K knives (ack) were awesome, but never bought any.

Thought it was hilarious when we sat around one day trying to figure out what we'd do if that happened at our school.  The general consensus was (we were nerds, after all) "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few/one" and figured that we'd stop the shooters by any means necessary.  This actually ended up being where I got my first taste in unconventional melee tactics and weapons.  Explaining to my parents exactly how I got hit in the face with a math book, twice, was tricky.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 07:09:39 PM »
Yes, this matters.  A lot of awful school policies and politics were build up in response to the falsehoods surrounding this story.

Want an example?  Before the shooting we had a pistol marksmanship team at my high school.  After the shooting we didn't.

Want another example?  Three weeks after the shooting I was caught with an allen wrench in my pocket.  I don't remember why I had it, probably needed it for shop class or something.  It turns out that allen wrenches of some particular size can be used to lock the doors that divide the various wings of the school.  The numbnuts teacher who saw that I had the thing thought I was going to use it to lock students inside the building so that they wouldn't be able to escape once I started shooting the place up.  She wanted to have me expelled.  Fortunately sanity prevailed.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 07:15:34 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 08:10:56 PM »
Explaining to my parents exactly how I got hit in the face with a math book, twice, was tricky.

It sounds like you took sum punishment.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 09:31:25 PM »

As if it made any difference.
7-11 was a part time job.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 09:37:36 PM »
As if it made any difference.

Come now, let's not divide over this. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 09:44:59 PM »
Adding insult to injury only multiplies the quotient of pain.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 10:18:25 PM »
He was firmly rooted in the square clique.

Sounds like they thought they were integrating their knowledge of HTH responses, but the approach was actually derivative of a dorm-room bull session.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 10:55:12 PM »
droogs were a factor?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 03:11:43 AM »
Something about this doesn't really ad up.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 04:19:54 AM »
L say!  =D

Farce-on-force tactics combined with high-schoolers trying to act "macho" led to some really funny things.  =)

Yes, this matters.  A lot of awful school policies and politics were build up in response to the falsehoods surrounding this story.
Seconded.  For me, it was my first experience for sensationalism to influence popular opinion, which in turn persuaded parents to demand changes, and eventually put me in a group despised and feared for no reason at all.  My own parents (whom I have always, although on occasion begrudgingly, held in high regard) started treating me like a time bomb without a digital display.  Years later, I still think there's some distrust there.  =(
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 06:25:22 AM »
Explaining to my parents exactly how I got hit in the face with a math book, twice, was tricky.

What answer did you formulate?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 08:31:49 AM »
droogs were a factor?
It's difficult to find a school shooting where one or more of the perps were not on drugs, almost invariably prescription meds. IIRC, in Columbine, at least one of the shooters was on Luvox.

Side effects?

Families and caregivers of children and adolescents who are taking Luvox should be especially watchful of the warning signs associated with suicide listed below.
The warning signs include:
* Thoughts or talk of death or suicide
* Thoughts or talk of self-harm or harm to others
* Any recent attempts of self-harm
* Mood changes such as an increase in aggressive or unusual behaviour, irritability, agitation or worsening of depressive symptom.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/BHCV2/bhcmed.nsf/pages/smcluvox/$File/smcluvox.pdf

Another triumph for the pill-pushing quacks of modern psychiatry.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 08:59:38 AM »

He forgot to "divide and conquer".

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2009, 11:43:44 AM »
Scientology much?

I'm on Luvox. I have no thoughts of self-harm, or harming others. Granted, effects are different for different people, but I find it awfully hard to swallow that a drug turned a happy-go-lucky harmless teen into a predatory psychopath. Blaming the meds doesn't make much more sense than blaming the guns. Did the meds somehow make them more confident or some other indirect contributory effect? Possibly. But SSRI medications do not a psychopath make.

The "black box" symptoms you listed are required on *all* anti-depressants as far as I know. That said, I don't think any causation has been even remotely proven, only correlation, which, all things considered is pretty worthless in this case.

I'll agree medications are over-prescribed and pushed a little too eagerly by many doctors. But that doesn't mean they're worthless, inherently harmful, or snake oil. They have their place and their purpose.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 11:51:52 AM »
It's difficult to find a school shooting where one or more of the perps were not on drugs, almost invariably prescription meds. IIRC, in Columbine, at least one of the shooters was on Luvox.

Side effects?
Families and caregivers of children and adolescents who are taking Luvox should be especially watchful of the warning signs associated with suicide listed below.
The warning signs include:
* Thoughts or talk of death or suicide
* Thoughts or talk of self-harm or harm to others
* Any recent attempts of self-harm
* Mood changes such as an increase in aggressive or unusual behaviour, irritability, agitation or worsening of depressive symptom.
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/BHCV2/bhcmed.nsf/pages/smcluvox/$File/smcluvox.pdf
[/quote]

Wait, wait, wait.
Those side effects are symptoms of depression.
So, you're depressed enough to consider suicide, and to be prescribed medication X.  Later, you try to kill yourself.
Maybe the true side effect is the medication not working on everyone that takes it.

JD

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 11:54:18 AM »
Maybe the true side effect is the medication not working on everyone that takes it.

*DingDingDingDingDing!*

Correlation does not imply causation.