Author Topic: E-Book Readers  (Read 6855 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
E-Book Readers
« on: August 18, 2010, 11:57:07 AM »
I'm going to ask for an E-book reader for Christmas this year and I was wondering if any of our tech-savvy members have experience with the Kindle or the Nook.

Currently I'm leaning towards the Nook because the lower battery life doesn't really matter to me (I already charge my phone and computer every night, anyway) and I like the lack of DRM controls.

Any thoughts?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
Re: E-Book Readers
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 12:03:57 PM »
I'm interested in the same thing....
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 12:09:36 PM »
nook has drm controls, but not quite as bad as the Kindle's I think

My problem with it is that it allows searches for books you buy from B&N, but not ones you load yourself.

I have quite the baen library...

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 12:15:01 PM »
nook has drm controls, but not quite as bad as the Kindle's I think

My problem with it is that it allows searches for books you buy from B&N, but not ones you load yourself.

I have quite the baen library...

Good information to know, thanks!

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 12:15:23 PM »
I'd be more tempted to look at one of the Android/Linux tablets than either of those e-Book readers.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 12:16:09 PM »
I'd be more tempted to look at one of the Android/Linux tablets than either of those e-Book readers.

Me too, except the E-ink is a big draw.

Newest nook is Android based, as well.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 12:27:39 PM »
Me too, except the E-ink is a big draw.

Newest nook is Android based, as well.

I think there was a netbook that has an e-ink display for tablet form-factor on the outside of the lid, and a traditional LCD on the inside.

A tablet that's e-ink on one side for low power/long life and sunlight use, with an LCD/OLED screen on the other would be darn handy.
I promise not to duck.

Harrison Bergeron

• Everyone is finally equal.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 12:49:08 PM »
I have got a Kindle, and I love it.

The kindle is slimmer than the nook.  my kindle's battery lasts 2 weeks if I keep the wireless off.

The DRM is pretty easy to defeat on the kindle if you're into that.  The format the kindle books are in is the old mobipocket format.

The nook uses the more-used epub format, but is thicker.  BN says they have more ebooks, but in reality they do not; they count google books and out of print/out of copyright gutenberg project e-books.  I picked the kindle mostly because i've been an Amazon customer for years.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 03:16:20 PM »
Q? Can you use Amazon books on the Nook?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 04:20:12 PM »
I offered a choice of Nook or Kindle to my 20-something daughter, who then researched and chose Nook.  FWIW.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 05:40:30 PM »
Wife has a kindle, I've downloaded a couple books and borrowed it.  I want one! 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 07:07:15 PM »
I know I'll likely be shouted down as an elitist ass for saying this, but I love my iPad for reading.

Books download to the Amazon and B&N apps just like their own devices.  Add in the browser and other apps, and I haven't booted my PC in months.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 07:25:39 PM »
I think there was a netbook that has an e-ink display for tablet form-factor on the outside of the lid, and a traditional LCD on the inside.

A tablet that's e-ink on one side for low power/long life and sunlight use, with an LCD/OLED screen on the other would be darn handy.
link =D

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 08:30:37 PM »
link =D

That's one of the ones I saw. The other was an actual netbook with a keyboard that was an e-ink tablet reader when closed.

Since that one debuted in Jan, I'd think if they were going to make a splash, they would have by now.

The intangible part of it is made by a mfg who has a future, and is tied to a platform/OS that has some longevity too. I'm holding off to see where the tablet scene is after Christmas.

I promise not to duck.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 08:46:10 PM »
Until I can transfer my existing hard copy books to the e-reader and back again, I see little advantage to the device.  I already have a substantial library of books and I'm not inclined to start a second library of only e-books.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 08:57:57 PM »
I have a Kindle and absolutely love it.  I read more or less constantly and storage of "real" books was becoming a real problem.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 09:03:03 PM »
First I completely did a flip-flop on smart phones, now I'm doing one on E-Readers. I'm asking for one for Christmas myself.

I still like to read a good book, made of paper, while sipping an appropriate alcohol for the reading material. But darn it, the books have just been taking up more and more room. I've been into 1950s classic Science Fiction anthologies lately, and the books are enormous. The six I bought over the last few months take up half a bookshelf. An E-Reader seems appropriate for Science Fiction anyways. :)  

My plan if I get an E-Reader is to just keep hardcopies of what I consider classic books that I already have or will get for the bookshelf. The fun reads would get stored on the E-Reader.

Of course I've never used an E-Reader, so I'm interested in comments here. The pages for the book app on my phone are pretty clear (if small). I've also seen books on the iPad, and it seemed like I would have no problem sitting down for a reading session with one, though a few minutes of reading probably isn't a good guide.

I've heard that e-ink actually outshines the iPad display. I was leaning towards a Kindle myself, partly because like Harrison, I've been a long time Amazon customer and very happy with their stuff. My boss has a first gen Kindle, which I'm sure he'd let me check out. I assume the latest generation Kindle has a much better display?

Has anyone tried the Kindle DX? It doesn't get as good of reviews as the smaller units, but I like its size. I'm not sure that I would plan on traveling with one a whole lot, so portability isn't that big of an issue. It would be easy enough to travel with by car, and for work travel by plane, I could get by with my phone. Having within the last year gone to reading glasses, I like the idea of the DX being able to display larger type while still containing more than five sentences per page.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 09:59:34 PM »
That's one of the ones I saw. The other was an actual netbook with a keyboard that was an e-ink tablet reader when closed.

Since that one debuted in Jan, I'd think if they were going to make a splash, they would have by now.

The intangible part of it is made by a mfg who has a future, and is tied to a platform/OS that has some longevity too. I'm holding off to see where the tablet scene is after Christmas.

i'm still looking for the one with the keyboard, and the one with the e-ink on the back of the keyboard so it could be swapped between notebook/e-book/e-ink-lcd-book-thing. it looks like there's going to be no end 'till one flops so badly it takes the name of "e.t. game of the laptop/netbook/e-book market. [popcorn]

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 11:05:51 PM »
I read more or less constantly and storage of "real" books was becoming a real problem.
That's what basements are for.

=)

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 02:29:36 PM »
 :O you would subject the great works of man to mold, mildew, and underground storage?

i have 3 bookshelves 1 for movies. (overflowing) too for books. also overflowing books stacked in front of books, can't find anything, a basement wouldn't really be a step down. :facepalm:

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 06:40:27 PM »
My basement isn't moldy, thankyouverymuch.

The public library in my old home town did the basement book storage thing.  Popular titles would be on shelves above ground, but most of the collection was in the off-limits basement areas.  Patrons would look up titles in the catalog, then send requests for the books they wanted down to the basement.  5 minutes later those books would be sent back up to the public areas on a lift.

It was a pretty slick system.  It let the library to store about 5 times more books than their available floor space would have allowed.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 12:50:22 AM »
I know it wasn't one of the choices, but I've got one of the Son pocket ebook readers. And i have to admit, I love it.

No, it doesn't have wifi, or games, or anything else: it is JUST an ebook reader. Which is all I was looking for. And it rocks at that...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 08:59:13 AM »
Well, looking at the Kindle 3 that comes out next Friday, it looks like it wins hands down:

Cheaper, longer battery life, can read text and .doc files.

However, since I'm not getting one till Christmas, I'm betting the Nook2 will be out by then.

I'll wait to make that comparison. Kindle 3 is really looking really good, though.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2010, 09:41:01 AM »
I'll wait to make that comparison. Kindle 3 is really looking really good, though.

I've been sort of tempted too. But as stated there are the Android tablets to consider, and have heard good things about the iPad as a reading device. Then again I don't think the Android tablets will really start hitting the market in numbers until Android 3.0 comes out with its support for higher resolutions. HP/Palm may be the first there, and that's an interesting option too.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

sanglant

• friend
just wondering off the field again.
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2010, 01:28:18 PM »
hmm, can android hardware be built at higher resolutions, and scale as the software is updated? if not that's a major downside. =|