Author Topic: New style M4's in use?  (Read 6847 times)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
New style M4's in use?
« on: December 04, 2011, 04:18:02 AM »
So, I'm starting a new thread for this question since it seemed a sufficient deviation from that of cameras and night vision goggles...

http://www.popphoto.com/how-to/2011/11/front-lines-life-us-military-photographer

Photo: Laurence Chen
Navy Combat Camera’s standard-issue Nikon D700 and Nightstalker II night vision system by Tactical Solutions LLC.

Was flipping through the pics linked by H.T. and came across this one...

I'm curious when the military started using (or even testing) mid-length gas system M4's. Anyone have any info on this? Or am I just blind as a post as that's a carbine length gas system with an extra-short barrel, in that instance, same question as before.

Edit: Thanks to Dogmush for identifying these as Navy Mk18 rifles with carbine length gas systems and 10.3" barrels.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 12:52:01 PM by kgbsquirrel »

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: New style M4's in use?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 04:51:33 AM »
Not sure when the came on scene.  But they aren't standard issue.  More than likely issued by Spec Ops.  Hell there are active units walking around with M16's.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 05:00:20 AM »
Any standard designation for them? (Also are those mid length gas systems and forends? I think they are but pictures can be deceptive sometimes.)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 05:07:30 AM »
Mid length handguards are longer than the upper receiver, those are shorter. Most likely a 10-11" barrel with a carbine gas system,

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Daniel-Defense-10-3-Carbine-Gas-Barrel-p/dd%2010117.htm
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 08:24:44 AM »
Mid length handguards are longer than the upper receiver, those are shorter. Most likely a 10-11" barrel with a carbine gas system,

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Daniel-Defense-10-3-Carbine-Gas-Barrel-p/dd%2010117.htm

Thanks, I was so busy staring at the hanguards and barrel stub that I was missing the obvious.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 08:45:10 AM »
Definitly short barrels with carbine length gas.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 08:52:23 AM »
The navy has an approx 10" M4 upper they use on ship and in boarding parties,  I have an ex-squid buddy that carried one on cargo ship inspections.  It is called (navy style) the Mk something or other.  those being Marines, my monies on that rifle.

ETA: Navy Mk18Mod0  10.3" barrel on a carbine gas system.  Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close_Quarters_Battle_Receiver
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 08:56:23 AM by dogmush »

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 09:07:12 AM »
The EOTechs in use are from the Mk18 Mod 1, whose main differences include the Daniel Defense RIS II, aforementioned holosight, and low-profile gas block under the rail with a KAC front sight coupled with the MaTech rear, both folding sights.  The Mk18 Mod 0 uses a standard front sight tower with a fixed LMT rear.

So, I guess what is pictured is an odd hybrid, with the fixed front sight, a KAC rear, EOTech, original KAC M4 RAS, and PEQ-15.  ???
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 09:40:10 AM »
Thats an odd photograph.  Mixmatch of uniforms.  SBR M4's.  Those are certainly not standard issue M4's.  Like William said, there are many units with M16's still. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
... there are many units with M16's still. 

I was issued an 80's vintage M16A2 out of a Kansas City NG armory when I did my IA in '06, we had M16A3's in the Iwo's armory, and as far as I knew the USMC was sticking to the M16A4 or 5 as it's standard issue. I wasn't aware there was an attempt to do a universal switch to the M4 platform. Am I just this out of touch with what the services are doing rifle wise?  ???

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 09:50:29 AM »
After taking another look at the pic, as dogmush stated, at least a couple of those guys are Marines and so it is possible there is a Squid or two besides the Corpman running around there.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 09:54:16 AM »
I was issued an 80's vintage M16A2 out of a Kansas City NG armory when I did my IA in '06, we had M16A3's in the Iwo's armory, and as far as I knew the USMC was sticking to the M16A4 or 5 as it's standard issue. I wasn't aware there was an attempt to do a universal switch to the M4 platform. Am I just this out of touch with what the services are doing rifle wise?  ???

No not a push to the M4 platform as much as completely overhauling the basic issued rifle.

Myself, it has taken a little while to get used to the M4 and now that I have I don't ever want to go back to a M16.  But at the sametime I would rather have a M1 or M14.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 10:03:20 AM »
Thanks for the link to the Mk18 Dogmush. Looks like I inadvertently built a Mk-12 when I assembled my personal AR.  :cool:

To wmenorr67, hell yeah on the M14. Saw a few of those DMR's while in the sandbox. My experience with the M14 is sort of the reason I have an M1A sitting next to previously mentioned AR. The '14 was the first weapon I ever qualified with, and to the bewilderment of the GM2 pulling watch I always choose that over the M16A3 I was also qual'd with. (Flight deck rover, watching the pier and water from 60 feet up.)

ETA: Die typo, die!!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 10:24:40 AM by kgbsquirrel »

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 10:17:50 AM »
Actually they have taken M14's and rebuilt them and issued them out to the squad designated marksmen.  Using them as just a notch below snipers.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 11:32:45 AM »
Ah....upon doing a little google research I think they are Force Recon and probably navy boarding party people mixed in. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 12:27:30 PM »
It's amazing that they don't need magazines. Must be tube fed from the stock. ;)

I thought the military just used ACOG's because EOTech's were junk. That's what everyone on THR says.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 12:46:03 PM »
It's amazing that they don't need magazines. Must be tube fed from the stock. ;)

I thought the military just used ACOG's because EOTech's were junk. That's what everyone on THR says.

They are the new laser weapons we are testing.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 12:49:41 PM »
They are the new laser weapons we are testing.

40 watt range?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 12:52:17 PM »

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 02:10:01 PM »
It is an odd photo, but it is explained by the fact that those are all USN/USMC journalists. "Combat Camera" as they call themselves these days. I can never get past that phrase without thinking of the line from FMJ. That it is a bunch of cmaera jockeys playing soldier would explain the asshattery going on with the uniforms.

Most of the normal Marines still carry M-16s, at least that service is not so screwed up that they can still realize a longer barrel and sight radius are good things. Too much of our weapons procurement seems to run on the CDI factor.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 02:16:23 PM »
French a lot also has to go along with the types of missions a group is expected to do.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2011, 04:36:19 PM »
Thats an odd photograph.  Mixmatch of uniforms.  SBR M4's.  Those are certainly not standard issue M4's.  Like William said, there are many units with M16's still. 

I prefer the A2.  Better velocity, longer range.  Most importantly, stock doesn't snap after whacking something a couple times
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2011, 06:23:47 PM »
It is an odd photo, but it is explained by the fact that those are all USN/USMC journalists. "Combat Camera" as they call themselves these days. I can never get past that phrase without thinking of the line from FMJ. That it is a bunch of cmaera jockeys playing soldier would explain the asshattery going on with the uniforms.

Most of the normal Marines still carry M-16s, at least that service is not so screwed up that they can still realize a longer barrel and sight radius are good things. Too much of our weapons procurement seems to run on the CDI factor.

I really doubt the shooters are photographers.  Force Recon and navy boarding crew types mixed together is my money.  Small raid exercise for training and photo ops.
JD

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2011, 07:00:37 PM »
No, go through the rest of the gallery, same guns, same outfits, semi-annual training exercise.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2011, 10:00:03 PM »
No, go through the rest of the gallery, same guns, same outfits, semi-annual training exercise.

For the photogs?  Actually the idea of 10" M4's for them makes sense, as they need a weapon but would primarily be using cameras. 
JD