Poll

Do you warm up your car's engine by idling or driving?

Idle 5 minutes or less
15 (24.6%)
Idle more than 5 minutes
4 (6.6%)
Drive slowly until warm
12 (19.7%)
Drive normally
30 (49.2%)
Remote start for the win!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Engine warm up poll.  (Read 6930 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Engine warm up poll.
« on: April 11, 2013, 06:23:07 PM »
I start driving as soon as I can. I drive slowly, with low revs, for about 1 mile to get the oil moving.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Engine warm up poll.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 06:27:10 PM »
I give it about 1 minute.  Generally I get in, start it, and fiddle with the radio or heater to kill the time.  Then I take it easy for the first few minutes.  

My new car instead of a temp gauge has an idiot light that is blue when cold, off when in the operating range, and turns red if it overheats.  I take it easy until the blue light goes out.

Edit:  oh, and when it is really cold out I plug in the block heater.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 07:27:00 PM by 41magsnub »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 06:27:34 PM »
I put drive normally. I used to let my cars idle 30 years ago, but I'm pretty sure modern vehicles aren't as picky. That said, pretty much everywhere that  I cold start from has me driving slow for a couple of minutes before I get to a public road. Also, I keep the RPMs down (i.e., I don't punch it to accelerate) on my diesel truck until it starts to warm up.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 06:50:48 PM »
Drive slowly until warm

You have to get at least 10 miles from our house until you can drive anything but slowly  :lol:

Exception is my 1976 pickup which has a carburetor and you have to warm it some or it will not move.  In cold weather you have to sit there holding the clutch in for a while before it will even turn the transmission in neutral.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 06:52:34 PM »
If it's particularly cold out, relative for around here of course, I'll give it a minute or so.

Summer, start and drive.

Either way just take it easy for a mile or so.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 07:04:51 PM »
Cold weather 5-10 minute idle.

Warm weather 2-5 minute idle to let the AC do its work.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 07:25:19 PM »
Cold weather start and idle for a few minutes, else it will race like mad when I pull up to a stop sign.

Warm weather start and go slowly for the first mile or so.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 08:23:31 PM »
Let the care idle for 10 or 15 seconds just to be sure the oil is circulating well, then drive at normal city speed or less (30 MPH) until I get to the highway, about 7 or 8 minutes away.

Although with today's multi-vis oils, it's a lot less important to "warm up" the car before driving than it was 'way back in the days of straight-weight oil. (At least, if you're in central TX where you don't have to worry about sub-zero starting.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 08:29:48 PM »
I watch the oil pressure gauge.

On a warm day, if it's showing pressure upon starting, I'm good to go.

On a really cold day, if it's bumping 80 psi on pressure, I wait a bit or keep the RPMs down on the 5 speed until that thick stuff can warm up.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 08:53:26 PM »
I tend to drive normal-ish....   if it's getting close to freezing, I'll plug in the block heater on a timer to let it kick on about 2 hours before I leave for work.  I'll give it 30 seconds or so after the oil pressure has hit normal just to let everything get lubed...  If it's really cold, and I forgot to plug in the block heater, it takes the turbo a looooong time too spool up when the oil is a bit thick... And lemme tell ya, that thing is an absolute *dog* without the turbo kicking in...
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 08:55:44 PM »
I tend to drive normal-ish....   if it's getting close to freezing, I'll plug in the block heater on a timer to let it kick on about 2 hours before I leave for work.  I'll give it 30 seconds or so after the oil pressure has hit normal just to let everything get lubed...  If it's really cold, and I forgot to plug in the block heater, it takes the turbo a looooong time too spool up when the oil is a bit thick... And lemme tell ya, that thing is an absolute *dog* without the turbo kicking in...

Turbocharged, now you have my attention. What do you drive?

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

birdman

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 09:02:27 PM »
I don't warm up anything.
That includes both of our twin turbo vehicles (GTR and explorer sport) and our non turbo ones (raptor and 3.5 Altima coupe).
That being said, the only one that really needs to be watcher carefully is the gtr and it sleeps in a heated garage, and will really let you know if its not warm enough to punch it (trans is all chunky)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 09:18:32 PM »
Let the care idle for 10 or 15 seconds just to be sure the oil is circulating well, then drive at normal city speed or less (30 MPH) until I get to the highway, about 7 or 8 minutes away.

Although with today's multi-vis oils, it's a lot less important to "warm up" the car before driving than it was 'way back in the days of straight-weight oil. (At least, if you're in central TX where you don't have to worry about sub-zero starting.)

What you're forgetting is the transmission and the axle gears. The engine generates heat quickly due to the combustion -- the gears only warm up due to friction. It's important to drive not just slowly but also gently for the first several miles in cold weather to allow the gear lube (which is a lot more viscous than motor oil) to start moving around.

Even engines take longer than you might think. When I was in college, I had an engine oil temperature gauge in my car. During winter vacation, I had a job at a factory and my commute took me about half an hour. The first fifteen minutes was getting TO the highway entrance (about 8 or 10 miles). The engine oil temperature was only beginning to get into the normal range by the time I hit the highway.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 01:02:32 AM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Lee

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 09:50:43 PM »
I give my truck a few minutes, but I don't even get to anything faster than a 25 mph zone for a few miles, coming from or going to work. My 1990 jeep with the SB350 is another story.  In cold/cool weather, I let it run for at least 10 minutes before driving it. It hits normal operating temp about 20 minutes after the warm up. It's running great about the time I get home from wherever I've been.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 09:54:26 PM »
If the weather is cold enough (below freezing) I usually let it idle to warm up both the engine and the interior. Otherwise, I don't bother, unless it's the farm tractor which pretty much has to be warmed up, regardless, and can take 5-10 or so minutes to reach operating temperature.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 10:19:11 PM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 10:10:37 PM »
Is the poll assuming cold weather, or do people warm up their cars when it's warm out, too?

My Tacoma needs at least 10 minutes, in cold weather. I hit interstate less than a quarter-mile from my house, and she acts funny if I drive her cold. We also warm up the Lumina, in cold weather, but I don't know that she really needs it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 10:15:55 PM »
I let the motor idle long enough until the air conditioner starts to cool the car..............chris3

zahc

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 10:40:15 PM »

This
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 11:20:57 PM »
I voted for the over 5min. Especially this time of year.
My ride is diesel so it makes a difference. Not as long in the summer. If its 80 degrees that oil is going to get worked around the engine really quick and everything is not cold and tight.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 11:25:41 PM »
I drive normally.

My corolla takes 0w-20.  I have oil pressure about a second after startup, which means I'm good to go.  Cylinder walls are thin enough I'm not worried about creating an excessive heat gradient from startup driving; Honestly, if it were a problem, warranty claims would be through the roof.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 11:34:18 PM »
I drive normally.

My corolla takes 0w-20.  I have oil pressure about a second after startup, which means I'm good to go.  Cylinder walls are thin enough I'm not worried about creating an excessive heat gradient from startup driving; Honestly, if it were a problem, warranty claims would be through the roof.

Let's put it this way...in normal climes (i.e, not artic) then no warm up isn't going to create any major issues.

I do firmly believe it helps in overall engine longevity to have a decent warm up period. But what do I know...except that we get exceptional life out of our vehicles (300k+)...

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 11:39:01 PM »
Is there any hard evidence in one direction or the other?

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 11:59:48 PM »
Turbocharged, now you have my attention. What do you drive?

'96 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.9L Cummins Diesel.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 12:48:40 AM »
Fast idle and my steep driveway are a bad combination, so at home my beast gets warmed enough to idle normally before I drive it.  That's true, too, anywhere else crawling in low 4x4 is needed to get around.  Out and about where idle speed is not an issue, I'll be sure of oil pressure then go, warm or cold. 

Idling the work truck while I do the walk-around, update paperwork, and build air pressure is all the warmup that one gets.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 01:48:27 AM »
Proportional to temp. Below 20 your emissions at speed go to *expletive deleted*it if you don't let the engine warm up a bit. Colder gets longer times, plus, need engine heat for the defrost.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."