Author Topic: The XP is falling! The XP is falling!  (Read 6863 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The XP is falling! The XP is falling!
« on: January 13, 2014, 10:40:27 PM »
Microsoft sets XP adrift on the ice, this coming April. We still have one such box at home, which my wife uses for web-surfing and occasional word processing. Is this anything to worry about? Should we just stick with XP? (She's never virused-up a computer, so far.)

I think it will probably run Win7, but we should probably save new OS money for something else.

I never use my laptop, which has Windows 7, so I may just replace it with that.

Or if there's a *nix flavor that anyone would recommend for hassle-free web-surfing and Hulu/YouTube viewing, on older hardware, we could go that route.

Thanks.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: The XP is falling! The XP is falling!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 10:56:10 PM »
Get Win 8. It's great.  [barf]

(Someone had to.  Might as well get it over with now.)

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 11:44:59 PM »
Still have XP on the desktop I'm using at the moment. It has really held up well as far as OS's go.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 12:49:27 AM »
Still have XP on the desktop I'm using at the moment. It has really held up well as far as OS's go.

Sure, but it gets no more updates after April-something. Unless someone is going to be making bootleg patches for it, or something.  ???

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 01:25:05 AM »
Get Win 8. It's great.  [barf]

(Someone had to.  Might as well get it over with now.)

Brad

If it weren't for the money factor, I'd get 8.1 for my machine, and put this copy of Win7 on that other box. Just to learn somethin' new.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 07:01:41 AM »

If it weren't for the money factor, I'd get 8.1 for my machine, and put this copy of Win7 on that other box. Just to learn somethin' new.

And I bet you upgraded to iOS 7 on your iphone, too.  Just for the experience.  Riiiight. [/Bill Cosby voice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bputeFGXEjA ]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 07:36:23 AM »

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 09:32:08 AM »
Microsoft sets XP adrift on the ice, this coming April. We still have one such box at home, which my wife uses for web-surfing and occasional word processing. Is this anything to worry about? Should we just stick with XP? (She's never virused-up a computer, so far.)

I think it will probably run Win7, but we should probably save new OS money for something else.

Or if there's a *nix flavor that anyone would recommend for hassle-free web-surfing and Hulu/YouTube viewing, on older hardware, we could go that route.

Thanks.

Yes. Not immediate zOMG Sky iz Falling! level of worry, but I'd move away from XP when practical after April. You don't want to use an OS that is not patched, period. A good quality AV will buy you more time.

Win7 or ubuntu. They make LiveCDs that you can try before you switch over. Worth trying out, at a minimum.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 09:37:35 AM »
Yes. Not immediate zOMG Sky iz Falling! level of worry, but I'd move away from XP when practical after April. You don't want to use an OS that is not patched, period. A good quality AV will buy you more time.

Win7 or ubuntu. They make LiveCDs that you can try before you switch over. Worth trying out, at a minimum.

Yup, that.

One idea if you want to save money is to do the OS swap between computers as you mentioned, but on your laptop, install Linux as a host OS, install Virtualbox, and run XP out of that as a VM. At least then if you do get hit through a vulnerability, it's likely it will be limited to the VM.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cosine

• Administrator
Re:
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 09:46:22 AM »
My main "internet 'n email" desktop is still running XP. I'm planning on replacing XP with Linux Mint and LibreOffice after April.
Andy

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 09:57:41 AM »
If you know anyone who insists on keeping their XP box, for God's sake at least get them to use another browser besides IE.  Firefox or Chrome with Adblock at a minimum.  Adblock & Noscript if you can convince them.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 10:04:40 AM »

Linux Mint gets my nod over ubuntu, after doinking around with it a bit.  A bit more ready to roll out of the box.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 10:16:27 AM »
If you know anyone who insists on keeping their XP box, for God's sake at least get them to use another browser besides IE.  Firefox or Chrome with Adblock at a minimum.  Adblock & Noscript if you can convince them.

That's the other big thing. While I'm not a big IE fan, XP will only run a very vulnerable version of IE. Not using IE is an option for most people, but for instance, I have work sites I have to use that require IE. So if you do anything that requires it, XP is out for you.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 10:28:20 AM »

Thanks.

How old hardware? 

Ubuntu changed between 12.04 (long term support -- still supported) to 12.10.  The kernel now has a specific requirement that older hardware often doesn't support.  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnablingPAE.

How much RAM?  Ubuntu has turned into almost as much a RAM hog as Windows.  Xubuntu might be the ticket here.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 02:46:59 PM »
I was just thinking about this the other day.
I've been spending a lot of time in the last 2 weeks at the hospital (gf's mother) every computer that I've seen is still running xp.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 11:58:06 PM »
I've been spending a lot of time in the last 2 weeks at the hospital (gf's mother) every computer that I've seen is still running xp.

There's going to be a whole lot of unpatched XP out there for the next few years. I guess the Obama will have to give us all free upgrades. To Win 8.0.  ;/ Then they outlaw Classic Shell. ;/ ;/

I think I probably will put Linux Mint on that box. I guess there will be a new LTS version in April?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 12:01:31 AM by fistful »

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 12:20:17 AM »

This is a huge problem, actually.  Lots of dumb, or at least not very smart, terminals in healthcare run XP.  Probably half of the workstations still do.

Happily, support for the embedded OS in your MRI/Ultrasound/etc. imaging machine and the like get another 18 months or so.  Heck, NT4 embedded systems are still supported.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 01:24:17 AM »
Sure, but it gets no more updates after April-something. Unless someone is going to be making bootleg patches for it, or something.  ???

It's running the programs she needs to run?

Why would she need patches?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Re: The XP is falling! The XP is falling!
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 02:13:31 AM »
It's running the programs she needs to run?

Why would she need patches?

Security vulnerabilities are discovered all the time in various OSs. Using unpatched OSs = very bad
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 05:57:41 AM »
What Fitz said.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: Re: The XP is falling! The XP is falling!
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 06:12:44 AM »

Security vulnerabilities are discovered all the time in various OSs. Using unpatched OSs = very bad
Dis.

Hacker dude finds new back door, in an unsupported OS no ones closing that back door and nailing it shut.

At work we've upgraded every terminal in the place as prep for a move to windows 7. Looks like we will be skipping 8 entirely.

Wife's work...no idea Wtf they're doing. Her computer is a slow POS with XP, so I'm betting it won't do 7. Interested to see what they do.

Sent via tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 01:49:21 PM »
Will most of the old XP machines even run Win7  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 06:31:28 PM »
Will most of the old XP machines even run Win7  ???

Yes, you have to remember the whole Vista fun thing where a lot of computer with plenty of power to run Vista or 7 were downgraded? to XP by choice.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 07:25:20 PM »
Yes, you have to remember the whole Vista fun thing where a lot of computer with plenty of power to run Vista or 7 were downgraded? to XP by choice.

jim

Yup.  I think I may have sold one or two Vista machines during the Vista era.  The rest were "XP downgrade".
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 07:47:19 PM »
Will most of the old XP machines even run Win7

Surprisingly, yes.

They may not run it very fast, but they'll run it.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"